1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

You guys hating on KPJ don’t understand basketball.

this isn’t 1991, when you need John Stockton or Rod Strickland as a PG.

Steph Curry, Jrue Holiday, Kyrie Irving, Alex Caruso…you know, the last 5 championship point guards are not “pure”, “pass first” PG’s in the mold that you guys are fantasizing about.

Again this isn’t the 1990’s. The fact that you have a 21 year old kid putting up these type of numbers, but a bunch of geeks are still ripping him apart and nitpicking every aspect of his game is hilarious.

You guys will worship the feet of Sengun, despite his many flaws, and **** on KPJ, despite the fact that KPJ is a better player than Sengun

The way clutchfans acts, you’d think we’ve won 17 championships like the Lakers. You guys need to cut it out

rkh-dog, Sonicbun8, PatBev and 3 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I dont recall anyone demanding that Sengun be our starting PG.

Nor do I recall Sengun getting banned from his college team, dumped by his drafted team, driving away at half time or sulking during plays.

How is this false equivalency working out for you

PS. There aren't many traditional PGs left but ask the Lakers and Suns which one they prefer between Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook. Efficiency and intelligence are key attributes from a winning PG.

Porter is an SG/SF, I'm happy to play him there. End of story.

Deckard, glimmertwins and utgrad97 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A - ****ING - MEN my southern brother.

Porter is our starting PG - and the org likes him there, even if some people have a bias against him - it is the era of scoring PGs.....he will be the primary ball handler, and Jalen Green the primary finisher...

Done, dusted, deal with it.

And there it is.....Green only fans ......can't stand him sharing the shine.

DD

4. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Caruso is much more of a pure point and in a much lower tier, but anyway...

These names can be called "scoring PG" because they can run the PG position.
    All have amazing speed, handles and court vision that tricks opponents to not know if they will set up for others or themselves.
    That's the definition of a scoring PG.
    KPJ fits in the description of a SHOOTING GUARD.

It is a burden to both KPJ and Green to share the floor. They might like each other, but that is limiting both of them.

5. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

So many wrong things behind such a small sentence. lol

6. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Stop it.

KPJ averaged more assists than Caruso this season, and KPJ's career averages in assists are higher than Caruso's. KPJ also averaged more assists than Kyrie this season.

Please don't get it confused, Caruso is forced to be more of a "pure Point guard", because he really isn't dynamic at anything. He isn't dynamic on offense, nor can he create his own shot, so by default, through your fogged lens you see him as "more pure".

Also, you're a FOOL if you don't think KPJ has good handles, and tricks to set himself or teammates up for shots. Like seriously, do you watch him play? You know nothing about basketball.

He's shown that he has above average court vision, it's just him maturing in the position. Go back to worshipping Sengun for setting hard screens

7. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Yep. It's silly season on clutchfans.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  8. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

You're demanding him to be starting Center/PF, and he has shown his many flaws. He has been getting abused.

You have never played any type of basketball in your life, except for NBA Live and 2k...and getting picked last at the YMCA and it shows. Go on soemwhere.

rkh-dog likes this.
  9. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Keep bringing quality posts like this.
    Sarcasm included

10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

As a third party to this exchange … his post was filled with data, facts and visuals. Yours was a random assertion based on nothing, followed by a horrible attempt at being snide.

So maybe put away the “sarcasm included” and try bringing something to the conversation besides your personal definition of a “SHOOTING GUARD.”

Sonicbun8, jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Wait, if Brooklyn stupidly offered us Kyrie for Porter, you would turn it down because Porter averaged more assists this past season?

hajkov likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

There are other factors... age, cap space, contract length, fit, etc.

I would probably do it if kyrie was a little younger...

13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I dismissed the discussion with him basically because it is my phylosophy not to waste time discussing with someone that to make a statement such as "you know nothing if you don't agree with me". That's stupidity 101. Then the Sengun (???) cherry? LOL.
    Add that to the fact that he doesn't know how much I watch the games and had basketball in my life.

But OK, if for you, such an outsider I sounded a dick, I will reply:

Maybe the "horrible attempt at being snide" is because I just wasn't trying to.
    All I did was say KPJ does not compare in skills related to a scoring point than any other in this list. Highlighs any NBA player has, it is a matter of consistency and how well you use it to your team's benefit.

No DATA has been provided by him except for assists. He compared KPJ assist number to Kyrie...
    Compare how the ball moves, what is the dynamic of the offense between Brooklin and Houston.
    See the GRAND CANYON dividing the offensive flow, ball movement and you might get a hint why.
    Then comparing to Caruso which is 6th man talent at most. I mean, what data are we looking here?

Schroder joined the team and made a huge impact when he was on the floor (see the posts from back then).
    Is Schroder a better player than KPJ? for sure not, just a better player to run the point.

And finally, of course there is PERCEPTION AND JUDGMENT in ANY comment in a FANS BBS.
    His, mine and yours. The big question in being a dick about the others' opinion or not.

14. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

That's why you don't do those kind of comparisons.
    But one thing I can tell you if Kyrie was traded 1:1 to KPJ:
    The Rockets would be in the playoffs and KPJ would be in the all star game (sub, of course)

YES, THATS MY OPINION AND JUDMENT
    Maybe I will start posting that in my signature to avoid misunderstandings.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rocket's org knows what they are doing, the people here do not.

Same can be said for most of my posts.....if the org likes KPJ and they do......well, the fans just need to suck it up buttercups!

DD

#135 DaDakota, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    rkh-dog likes this.
  16. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ has looked so much better the last 2 weeks of the season. I was really down on him in early January. Here is what I want to see moving forward:

1) Play hard. Play fast. Too many times after an errant drive to the basket, he doesn't hustle to get back on defense. You better be a superstar if you are going to behave like that. KPJ is not a superstar. Also, he just needs to play with his hair on fire. Far too often, he is just walking the ball up and lacks the urgency to get into actions faster.

I do give want to give him some credit on defense. Last year, he didn't give any effort and looked like the worst defender in the league. This year, he tried harder (at least half the time) and gave vibes that he could be an above average defender.

2) Improve penetrating and finishing. For most of the season, he just had a hard time getting by his man and he didn't finish very well in traffic. He is really good at getting off a jumpshot. He is not as good at getting to the rim. He is a good athlete, but lacks that explosive first step to get by players. He needs to get a reliable floater to his game. I'm really afraid he is going to hurt himself on his finishes where he just doesn't have a clear path the rim, twists his body, hangs in the air to the very last moment with his shot, and lands in a precarious position with no foul called.

3) More decisiveness. He just needs to make more decisive moves, instead of all of the hesitation dribbles and crossovers that do not seem to create any real separation. And please stop picking up the dribble in the mid range. I lost count how many times I've seen KPJ unleash a 5 second dribble package, penetrate to only the elbow, pick up the dribble, and awkwardly pivot to find someone to pass to.

I think the absolute best case scenario for KPJ is Manu Ginobili. His game just flows better when he is trying to score rather than balancing point guard duties. Manu was a phenomenal finisher, which KPJ does not offer. But KPJ could end up offering more perimeter shooting. For most of the year, it just felt like most of his possessions were predetermined. He was either going to make his move to pass or make his move to score. He was playing a specific instrument instead of being a conductor for the orchestra. I think his future role on a contending team should be a scorer with secondary playmaking duties.

Denovo likes this.
  17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

You have to be the franchise that finds the KPJs not the franchise that pays the KPJs...

kidding, I cannot think of many young offensive/defensive talent on the perimeter and we already have him.

I trust the ability of this FO to evaluate talent.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I just made the same comparison in another thread, it's amazing how many forgot young Lowry and his issues.

Lowry regrets how he handled time with Houston Rockets
    https://nba.nbcsports.com › 2014/03/20 › kyle-lowry-re...

Mar 20, 2014 — “He never gave the coaching staff a chance,” assistant coach Kelvin Sampson told Yahoo Sports. “He wouldn't let Kevin coach him. Kyle's greatest .

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

How many days since our last incident?

hajkov and kubli9 like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The world of professional sports.

Have you not seen what pro teams have put up with?

Who has swept anything under any rug?

Half the board wants to get rid of him because this incident