1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dubose & Feigen] More expected of next year's Rockets and playbook to expand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Apr 11, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know. We would certainly have the cap space.

Jokic will be an unrestricted free agent in 2023 and will only be like 28 years old, so unless he has a bad injury, he would still be in his prime. He could tutor baby Jokic and help us win a few championships.

But I guess Denver could pay him most.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, even with better and bigger players. Silas is more of a offense coach.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

A couple of good feel good fluff articles won’t take away how bad Silas has been. I understand we’ve been tanking but Silas and this team has no identity.

Had Jalen not gotten more comfortable and exploded like he did, Silas would have no where to hide.

I guess I have to make myself optimistic since he will be here again next season, but I’m not holding my breath.

slothy420, ashleyem, Nook and 3 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His rotations are bad, especially after the trade deadline. I fully understand the concept of playing your vets more minutes between the beginning of the season to the trade deadline because, organizationally, you want to drive up their value. When trades didn't happen, that should have been the time to decrease their playing time accordingly. If we're going to give Silas credit for developing the young players on here, shouldn't we also hold him responsible for holding back the development of Sengun, JC and Garuba? Shouldn't we also question why he basically avoided playing KMJ for most of the season when Martin was one of the few bright spots coming out of last season? Then starting Mathews at the end of the season...like why? Roll out Martin or JC or Garuba in that starting spot and see what you have to work with next season.

slothy420 and htownrox1 like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good luck with that Silas. They basically ran an AAU style of play this season which each player just sort of taking turns. Maybe a pick here and there from Sengun. I don't see how this group is going to change all that much offensively unless you bring in someone like Chris Paul to run the point guard position. Maybe if we bring back John Wall he has the clout to dictate the offense a bit like a CP would have the ability to do, but these guys (especially Wood, and KPJ) are going to have a hard time not settling back into iso ball at the first sign of a play breaking down.

Not saying we should fire Silas, but I think we should be careful to play PR rep to Silas here. I've seen no indication that he can be a disciplined system type of NBA coach. The best he can hope for is Jalen Green is good enough next year where his teammates respect him enough to let him have the ball in his hands to create off the pick and roll most plays. That's about as disciplined a system as you are going to get with Silas next year.

The reason I don't necessarily think Silas should be canned yet though is because I actually think it's more important that Jalen Green grows into a star player than it is that we play a disciplined systematic offense. Silas aint your guy if you want that. In the future though we might need that... especially on defense.

TimDuncanDonaut and ashleyem like this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

I'm torn on Silas.

I don't know if he was told to stealth tank (****ed up rotations/ letting Wood do whatever he wants) to secure the pick. If he was, then keep him because ultimately it worked.
    Stone otoh should obviously know what the plan was this year and if he told Silas to do this or not. So he's in the best position to decide whether Silas is worth another shot or not.

We have secured a good pick and all of our young guys progressed well. This is exactly ehat we wanted to achieve this year.
    I hope his coaching decisions get better next year. I also hope we won't be tanking on purpose next year. If we're as bad as this year and there's still no structure, I'd say get rid of him.

As of now I'm okay with keeping him because while many may not like the product we put on the court, we achieved our goals. So there's that.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

honestly i'm kinda interested in seeing what SIlas can do next year. Each of the first 3 years here presented wildly different challenges. I think next season will be the first one with actual expectations and we will see if he has learned anything along the way.

You always want coaches that continue to adapt and be flexible. Those are the best coaches in my mind. Ones set in their ways always have a shelf life. The pops/spoelstras of the world always find ways to get the best out of the roster they have.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Sengun/Garuba
    2022 pick
    Tate/KJ
    Green
    KPJ/Christopher

It’s going to be hard to get a top 5 pick imo.

No Worries likes this.
  10. my time to shine

If Tate is a starter again then it won’t be that hard

Denovo, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s all about win improvements. If we win 10 more games, that’s a success based off of right now

12. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I don't disagree with you but at the end of the day, you have to judge them by the end product - in the end, players developed, they lost ton of games to guarantee a top pick, what else did you want? better defense? not play wood? we sucked and we're getting a high pick, aren't we?

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't understand why he didn't do that THIS year when they were learning so they would be that much further along NEXT year.......unless, they were 100% tanking.

DD

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^Mostly the same lineup that formed the backbone of the worst team in the NBA and the exact lineup that just lost 7 straight, some of which were against teams actively trying to lose.

Even if/when they all improve, and they should, it will not be as hard as those who overrate our players think to finish bottom 5 next year - unless we dump Tankruba for Bruno.

The only thing that could actually stop us will be the INSANE level of tanking teams are going to stoop to to get Wembanyama. It will make Sam Presti's last month look like Vince Lombardi.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why not? I think it's crazy to think there is even a chance of making the playoffs next year. If we jump up to the 8th-12th worst team in the league that would be HUGE improvement. If you're setting your sights on the playoffs next season you're set to be deeply disappointed. Next season is the last year the Rockets own their own pick before the Thunder start getting all of our picks. It's also the last season of Wall and Gordon's contracts. We're poised to make big moves after next season, but not before.

I expect we have at least one more lottery pick, likely top 8 or so, before we can potentially sign a star and make a run for the playoffs.

ico4498 and D-rock like this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Silas, I really do, but I don’t want to hear about the offense, I want him to explain just what in the hell he plans to do with the DEFENSE. This team might not ever be able to score enough points to overcome that side of the ball.

Rashmon, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member

Sounds about right. Silas writing a playbook to win the Grammy's not realizing the Grammy's aren't for movies.

D-rock likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

#chaosdefense

D-rock likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I tried telling you people we were in tank mode!!

This season .about. endurance. for. 82. games!

Sometimes you people freaking F'ing disgust me!! Did I get it right Stephen A?

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

oops, meant an Oscar

Silas’ playbook winning an Oscar next season

Xopher likes this.