1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 5th pick in the draft, the Houston Rockets select....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2022.
  1. Jalen Duren

8.4%
  2. Johnny Davis

0.4%
  3. AJ Griffin

15.3%
  4. Bennedict Mathurin

5.6%
  5. Keegan Murray

34.5%
  6. Other - Name your player in your post

10.0%
  7. Shaedon Sharpe

25.7%
  1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

A 5th pick will eliminate the " we should've picked him" threads to come... but seriously a 5th pick would feel Knick-like.. lol

Bo6 and roslolian like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe we'll get more info after the combine. The top picks skip the combine but the rest usually go to the combine so Keegan and Mathurin should show up.

If they are both undersized Id rather just take Dwight 2.0 Jalen Duren. If Bam and Ayton still have a place in contending teams then so does he.

leebigez and ipaman like this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I just have a feeling that the Rockets are going to end up with Jabari Smith. Call it my 6th, maybe even my 7th sense.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont get it though he is a 6'4/5 shooting guard like we dont have enough of those already lol wtf.

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

No more guards unless the second coming of Chris Paul is there to be had.

deb4rockets, saleem and roslolian like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Can Murray play sf? I watched some of his highlights he played a lot like Pascal Siakam rim running, scoring in transitin, finishijg in the post and then stretching to the 3 pt line. While he looked really good in college in the NBA 6'8 is too short to have that impact imo. He could be similar to Obi Toppin who looked like a superstar in college but somehow didnt translate to the NBA.

7. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

What if some GM in the top 5 fall in love with him? What if Chet, Paolo, Jabari and Ivey are gone in the top 4, and Rockets pick Sharpe at 5, would you be satisfied with that? Certainly the upside but some uncertainty from not playing at all last year - at pick 5, how comfortable would that be? At lower pick, I think most would take that chance but at 5? Would you?

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dunno about other tesms but the Rox already have 2 shaedon sharpes in Green and KPJ, Josh Christopher is also arguably a shorter but wider Shaedon Sharpe. We're like the worst team to take Shaedon Sharpe. Unless he is the 2nd coming of MJ the rox should be looking at anyone else but him.

I know everyone says go BPA but people havent even seen this dude play how do you know he is BPA? We dont know if he has bball iq, we dont know if he plays thru adversity, we dont know any of his habit and attitude. Oth what if he isnt even as good as Jalen Green? You now got so many players all doing the same thing and effectively just wasted a pick.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm kinda at the point in my Rockets fandom that if this new dude ain't 6'10" plus, i don't like him. I'm tired of tweeners and undersized players, in fact, I've grown to hate them. That's just where I am right now. Thanks for hearing me out Doc.

10. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of people knew Barnes would go in the top 4 in the days leading up to the draft....

D-rock, comrade and roslolian like this.
  11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

The new system has only been in place a few years. Even then you don’t have to really look at history, just odds.

With that said, you should keep that positivity up. I hope you straight up manifest this for us!

12. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I see all that - so then who with the fifth pick?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats the point of this thread, no?

For me its either Mathurin or Duren at 5. None of the other prospects 5-10 really interest me.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Toppin is looking like he may have turned a corner the past 10 or so games ending with 77 points over his two games. Doubt he's a superstar, but is not looking like a bust either.

15. 9baller

9baller Member

In the 2005 draft Atlanta chose Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams because they didn't need a guard..
    If the Rockets bring Sharpe in for a workout and feel that he's the BPA, then I hope we pick him.

Corrosion, Y2JT, Nelly and 4 others like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree that the Rockets need to take BPA but the Hawks didn't pick Williams because they didn't need a guard; they picked Williams because there was so much hype on him as to what he could potentially become.

subtomic, ipaman and Aruba77 like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

a lot of evaluators see Sharpe as a 3 in the NBA so at least there’s potential position versatility.

mikenm268, BMoney and 9baller like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point it's a toss up between Murray or Sharpe for me, and honestly I have them in the same tier as Banchero. Even he he fell to 5 I might still take Murray or Sharpe ahead of him.

I would lean toward Murray-Banchero-Sharpe as my preferred order. The potential of Sharpe is tantalizing, there's just so little we know about his non physical attributes.

Corrosion and Joe Joe like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sochan is my pick.

Maybe even Tari Eason.

But Griffin-Sharpe-Murray should also be options.

I'd try to first trade up into top 3 if this happened.

Worst case scenario, trade down, remain in top 10-lottery and pick up 2023 FRP.

#119 D-rock, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    ickaruto likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Already making excuses for him?