1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Dubose & Feigen] More expected of next year's Rockets and playbook to expand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Apr 11, 2022.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Silas' coaching for most of the season has been a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm actually quite impressed with how he handled the minutes and rotation of the team after Gordon, Wood and Schroder were shut down. I think he deserves another season to put things together.

pmac, majicdonjuan, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather the headline be Rockets cut Stephen Silas.

RKREBORN, Swapshop, slothy420 and 8 others like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s see what Silas can do with a more competitive roster and a clearer direction. I won’t say I haven’t been frustrated at his rotations at times, but he actually has some pretty decent ATO plays and the players seem to like him and have clearly developed.

But another season of weird rotations and long leashes on poorly performing vets probably won’t cut it. This upcoming year should be make-or-break for him. Not expecting a great win record but I am expecting more discipline

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hey . . .time to take off the Training wheels. . .. WHEN THEY ENTER THE FRICKING NBA!
    I know they start slow . . but over the year you ramp up

Rocket River

6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Silas has until New Year's to show he's the right coach for this team. I don't think he makes it that long. Tillman can't afford to miss the playoffs again.

amaru and DaDakota like this.
  7. kpdark

kpdark Member

Could only hope that majority of the sets and schemes are geared toward "cornerstone/s" development.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You really couldn't blame the guy. This was his 1st season with a very young team. I think he did well. If they go all defense in this upcoming draft they will be looking pretty good around this time next season.

Rashmon, Mathloom and Zen Tabak like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can’t judge him by wins and losses but all the rookies developed well given their circumstances. I DON’T know if he even had full control over his rotations. No one looks like a good coach when the GM is aggressively tanking and the roster contains 6 players under 21.

I’m sure he’s made mistakes as all rookie coaches do but I haven’t seen anything to say he can’t be a good coach for this young roster.

Definitely deserves another year.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Silas certainly isn't paid to win games right now. He is paid to tank and develop our young players. He aced both of those objectives this season. Nuff said. You may not like how he does it, but you can't argue with his results.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Won't cut him much slack either.

Following in his dad's footsteps as a Bobcat.

The defense is nonexistent, you may blame his assistants, he takes the fall for it, no matter how you slice it.

He also put in Wood, Gordon, Theis as starters before the All Star Break. When he could have played those rookies more minutes.

He is lucky John Lucas developed those guards and he does not have to be thrown objects at by KPJ.

Overall just getting credit for other people's work.

#12 daywalker02, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would even let him tank one more season, if he actually develops the young guys. Then get Jokic in 2023 as max FA. And some complementary pieces who fit our timeline.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Silas gave us the trailer, and now next season he’s gonna release the full movie?

Silas’ playbook is gonna be Grammy nominated

FLASH21 and coachbadlee like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is that possible?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What play(s) should we antcipate once Silas opens up his expanded playbook? I thought chaos offense was predicated on how well your primary ball handler can read and react to defenses? Or is this more of "When I say expand the playbook I mean I hope we draft Jabari so I have one more scorer to throw out there to make the offense look even better"?

D-rock and saleem like this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My expectations from Silas were never about winning games, but rather for our young guys to show to show improvement and become good players.

In my opinion, he has been successful in that, and despite popular opinion, I would not get rid of him.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We will still be a bottom 5 team

SuperKev, D-rock and Nook like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

That and you don't want to end up looking like the Kings or Lakers. A place good coaches wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Coaches want to ensure they'll be given a fair shake and not just be a scapegoat.

Patience likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The issue with this team is defense. I have no faith in this staff to make us better there.

D-rock, steddinotayto and saleem like this.