1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Fox is next. Dude has superstar potential but won't reach it unfortunately unless he has a scenery change.

Roomba likes this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Darn you, Biggg. Now you got me dreaming of a KPJ / Green / Smith / Sengun / Ayton lineup.

BigggReddd likes this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

No. I know what Green can do and what he could possible do in the future. Ivey is an unknown and Suggs hasn't shown anything this year (in my opinion) that he could be the number 1 option on a championship team. I'm not saying he is a bust, but he is not a better prospect that Jalen. Not even close. Jalen would easily be number 1 in this upcoming draft.

BigggReddd and peleincubus like this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe though I suspect his coverage of the class of 21 is probably over at this point:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...power-rankings-our-10-best-first-year-players

Jalen Green | Houston Rockets
    Stats: 16.9 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 2.6 APG

Previous ranking: NR

After a slow adjustment to the NBA through the first few months of the season, Green has looked far more like the player we expected to see when he was selected No. 2 ahead of Mobley and Barnes. Since the All-Star break, Green has been one of the NBA's best newcomers, averaging 21.3 points on 58% true shooting across 23 games while finishing second among rookies in scoring. Although it didn't come against the NBA's elite (Sacramento Kings twice, San Antonio Spurs, Minnesota Timberwolves and Brooklyn Nets), Green scored 30 points or more in five consecutive games while connecting on at least four 3s in every contest and shooting 43% from distance during that stretch. That came before an 8-point, 3-for-10, 5-turnover outing in a loss to the Raptors on Friday, but no rookie has made more total 3s this season than Green, who closes the year out at a respectable 49.7% from 2, 34.2% from 3 and 79.6% from the free throw line.

Not only is Green shooting it much better off the catch (65% eFG in March and April), he looks far more comfortable with the ball in his hands. He's more patient with his setups getting into pick and roll, coming off tighter and often snaking the ball back to open space. While he still dances with the ball too much, he has been more decisive as a decision-maker, showing a better understanding of how to pitch the ball to his bigs and then sprint into handoffs to get the defense in motion. He is knocking down the type of self-created pull-ups we see from All-Stars, showcasing a greatly improved handle and excellent footwork, balance and elevation.

Green is utilizing his dynamic speed, quickness and leaping ability to attack the rim with ferocity, not shying away from contact in the paint and putting several helpless defenders on a poster -- 36% of his shots have come at the rim (80th percentile) and he draws a shooting foul on 10.1% of his field goal attempts (79th percentile).

Defense is still an adventure for the 20-year-old. He has shown the ability to guard one-on-one on the perimeter and has certainly made strides in terms of containing penetration, but the nuances of team defense, getting through screens cleanly and staying engaged off the ball are important growth areas. Teams hunt him on switches to attack him in the post, which has been the case all season. But if he keeps progressing like he has this year and the Rockets can somehow put more defenders around him and potentially add a defensive anchor such as Chet Holmgren, Green is more than capable of developing into an adequate all-around defender teams can't simply target.

Green's rookie campaign likely didn't go quite as he and the Rockets hoped when he was drafted, with so many highs and lows on a team with just 20 wins. But the dynamic guard showed enough down the stretch to prove he's a top-five rookie in this class with the potential to have an Anthony Edwards-like Year 2 if Houston can continue adding more talent around him.​

6. MystikArkitect

There's a near zero chance Suggs is out of the league after his first contract. And Marcus Smart is probably a little low for him. His shot definitely needs the most work but his tenacity and IQ are why he went where he went.

He was injured most of the year and still cleared 20 pts 4 times and had multiple 10+ assist games. He'll be alright and won't know until end of next season if he takes a Garland like leap or ends up just a serviceable PG.

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Don't tease me like this man.

He comes back with some craftiness to go with the explosiveness and the rest of the NBA might as well pack it up.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Pretty good guys to pick their brain.

vator likes this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I’m seeing legendary “Kobe-like” work ethic. He said he was going to study his film immediately. Sky is the limit for this kid.

xaos and red5rocket like this.
  10. vator

Yes sir!

He’s saying everything we want to hear.

This man is a master finesser.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

WTF is this?

alethios and BigMaloe like this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Proof that some people just shouldn't have votes.

I remember that one year where JJ Watt almost broke the sack record and some idiot in Denver *still* voted a Bronco in for defensive player of the year.

mario_v and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I've always like koc but this is washed.

Herb Jones over green and giddey is a yikes. He's been a nice surprise but his reasoning is trash.

#2073 BigMaloe, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Too many people with votes like to get cute for views.

mario_v and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

Has not watched Jalen play post-ASB....obviously getting his take from before the ASB when everyone was crapping on Jalen.

BigM likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

He has and he's been complimentary of Green. I completely disagree with him not putting Green in first team, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to be fair and will watch loads of basketball to try to be fair

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  17. vator

Disgusting

Super pissed at first. It’s just one guy, but you never know how this might shake out.

I’ve come to peace with he may not make 1st team and although it would be disappointing to me as a fan because I’d feel he was robbed of something that he earned, arguably being the best or 2nd best rookie from February to the end of the season, but imagine how much this would fuel his fire over the off season.

He wouldn’t have to make up something to motivate himself, this would be all that he would need. Guys like Jalen live for this kid of disrespect.

18. xaos

xaos Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. alethios

alethios Member

Fair enough - if that's his take after watching Green play in the latter part of the season, I'm sure there's something that he thinks is holding Green back, but I don't see it compared to others in the 1st team. I guess agree to disagree with this take.

xaos likes this.