1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wall's expiring + picks for what young star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know many folks want a buyout, to let him expire, or to even deal him for Westbrook. Screw all that noise.

The Rockets didn't go this far with Johnny Boy to not deal him as an expiring IF the right situation unfolds.

That expiring contract is a valuable facilitating piece....and we have the ammo to attach to it.

So, what young stud should we go after at the deadline?

xiki likes this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck getting any traction on this. People here do not want to compete, they’d rather fantasize about prospects for eternity.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s not all that much value. Once you are trading away a superstar, you would even rather take back bad contracts for tanking AND you can demand better picks. So it’s all about the picks, that’s why people find themselves constantly disappointed in what’s possible with large expiring contracts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Who is going to give up a young star for Wall + picks?

Easy, Amel, Nook and 17 others like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t think it’s enough value .

bkn picks don’t look great . Do you want to wager more of ours ?

this roster isn’t good enough to warrant going after a 40 million dollar player. Green and sengun and our first this year still a couple of years away . Kpj and Tate ok but have inconsistencies. Wood ? You like him ? Gordon ?

Anyways ... if we have to go that route gimme Brandon Ingram

Denovo likes this.
  6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

The jazz ?

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think it’s far more likely that we can combine Gordon and Wood with picks for a player than Wall and picks, if the Rockets go that route.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Is this sarcasm?

yixiixiy and Space City like this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Look at the Mass/Wiz deal before shutting your eyes to everything else.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If there is a candidate team to deal with, it would be much easier to get done during the summer when the roster restrictions for trades aren't as onerous.

If it doesn't happen in the summer, buyout more than likely.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Which teams would want a $47 or whatever million expiring contract? I can't think of any. The Jazz? Maybe? But I doubt it; cap space does them no good as they are never an FA destination.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Let's put this into perspective. The type of team that would be interested in this sort of trade would have to fit in the following criteria:
    • Have a young star that doesn't want to be there or has really disappointed (can we still call that a star?)
    • Banking on the following season to lure in a FA and want to have the available cap space
      • This is hard to do without a young star, so we will probably have to assume it's a team that is in a FA destination location
    Then we have to consider the picks situation. What kind of picks are we wanting to leverage? I am assuming it's our first round (probably top 4) and BK (low end 1st round), so now we are looking for a team willing to give a sure fire young star for a chance to get a young star that also believes it can lure in a superstar during FA.

theDude likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Landry's Tooth

I'm thinking Gobert as a target with Sengun as backup 4/5.

He and Mitchell are rumored to be on the outs. We need rim protection... dead last defense we have...

I would blow out any players/picks needed for Gobert, Jabari Smith, Kpj, Green, Sengun, and a classic 3/d player at sf...

Think that has the right defense/offense balance...

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This situation is ending in 1 of only 2 possible ways.

He sits out another entire year.

He gets bought out.

Imanimal, palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It's called being realistic. You know what IS fantasizing? Trading a huge EC+picks for a young star.

Nook and MrButtocks like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t think anyone is trading for him unless the hornets actually want Westbrook & it’s a 3 team trade

I’m actually hoping he comes off the bench next season. Give him a chance to showcase for his next contract. Especially if he could help get these kids to a play in game.

The best thing he could do is still show his value on a team. The rockets would be perfect to still show he can contribute in a winning fashion. Cut him after the deadline if nobody shows interest

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’d do Wood and wall for Gobert

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Can he play next to Christopher is the question? I wouldn’t mind him off the bench because he can be score first like he wants. Let Christopher start with koj and green

20. dmoneybangbang

They'd be happy to get rid of Gobert, but would we be happy to receive him? It's a pass for me unless we are merely the middle man in a 3 team trade.

#20 dmoneybangbang, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022