1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don't. We'll see how he reacts to getting the ball less when our next prospect joins.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean I hope if he's going to turn into the next Lowry it'll be in Houston and not for a Canadian team. Porter's still worth keeping around, especially if his next contract is within reason.

Roomba likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely ended the year on a high note in terms of scoring. Still not sure about his decision making as a point guard.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not really sure what you are saying here even.

Look, I think John Lucas is someone who understands people with emotional challenges and he has done well with KPJ. I also think Lucas isn't a softy by any means from what I have heard. Seems like KPJ has responded well and really feels a strong connection to the organization.

Guess our difference is that you don't like KPJ and think he is a toxic liability, whereas I see him as having grown a great deal and on a positive track because of the organization.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

Not many players are able to improve their 3 ball overnight like KPJ.
    If he could shoot a free throw and have his avg shooting % from 2, 19 points on 13 shots would have been extremely doable.
    They need for him to get better in the half court. 19/8 assists in 2022-2023 for a 22.

The tricky part: Has he changed as a person?
    Now that he has a woman, it's going to stabilize him. But if that ends:
    [​IMG]

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is maturing, yes.

And he is getting comfortable in his role, doesn't mean he won't get frustrated, and people on here will make a huge deal out of basically nothing.....

But I am impressed....with his development.

DD

7. Convictedstupid

I don't believe he's the long term main ball handler for this team but I would like to see him transition more to the 3 spot. I think he can still have a starting role on this team.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

As a Point Guard? No, and he never will. The cerebral feel for the game and the IQ that good PGs have - KPJ doesn't have it.

As a player I can support? No, not yet. And it will take an entire season of not throwing any temper tantrums, using his head coaches at target practice, and about 5,539 less times of sulking as soon as he loses the ball or misses horribly and falls to even attempt to turn around and run back to help his teammates.

All that is going to be a tough ask when Green's touches goes up + Sengun's touches goes up + the incoming rookies touches are placed equal to KPJ.

I would however like to see him in a position other than PG and see how that works out.

Corrosion, Roomba, javal_lon and 3 others like this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

In what world is quitting on the game and your team and driving home during half time "basically nothing"?

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

My biggest issue is still that he isn't a point guard.

Deckard and Roomba like this.
  11. marinara

marinara Member

Really gotta stop holding that HT thing against him.

He is 21 years old and has personal issues. Everything his done since that incident positively isn’t looked at.

Stop judging 19-23 year olds as finished products

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

as i said earlier... let me know when the man can go to work for at least a full year without losing his chit and having a total meltdown at some point...

I wish the dude nothing but the best in all of his endeavors... but i just think he's damaged goods....

13. DaDakota

Some people just have bias against him - they won't come around - it doesn't matter what they think....he can't play PG, he should be a 6th man, should be SF....they don't matter.

The Org matters, they want him at PG, they like how he is developing - so either get on the train or get run over peeps........until the Org changes their mind......you are just gonna keep being frustrated....as you have no say.

DD

14. marinara

marinara Member

Missed 1 & 1/2 games cos of a meltdown .. lmao you’re all making something bigger than it is honestly.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. DaDakota

100% true - it is their own bias.

Don't worry though the Org doesn't care what those guys think.

Results matter.

DD

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is such a bad take.

Just because something is understandable, does not mean it is excusable or that the player should not be held accountable or shouldn't be judged for. KPJ throwing a hissy fit and bailing out (literally) and being judged for it has nothing to do with him being a finished product or his age. Even kids in elementary school know you don't do that crap. That's a cross he is going to have to bear for a long time and continue to redeem himself for.

Now, what being 21 years old and having personal issues DOES do for many is to buy a 2nd chance. He screwed up badly. Fine, let's chalk it up to youthful stupidity plus a troubled past and not immediately cut him.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. marinara

marinara Member

Also do people not think he has made strides as a person behind closed doors that’s not reported ?

If he was such a head case why didn’t they cut him?

His stated the Org saved his life on his social media, give the kid a break he & the staff CLEARLY know more than people posting on a forum about 1 incident on a lottery team with a second season coach who is still unknown with coaching younger players at the head man let along all stars.

Dont forget CWOOD “ quit “ on the team & had a “ meltdown “ too.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. marinara

marinara Member

No
    No it’s not, you have no clue about anything else that has happened with him as personal growth behind closed doors.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

For your own sake, I would retire this type of argument. There is almost a 100% you'll regret it, unless you are content with people shutting down your arguments in the future in the exact same fashion.

jiggyfly and javal_lon like this.
  20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Good point, I’d package him with the Brooklyn pick even if it only gained us 3 or 4 spots. His talent is high but attitude and buy in is crucial on a young team.