1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen & Jabari

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Mar 31, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U choose players based on their talents and numbers they put up not selectively picking someone based on skin color. That's literally being racist, bro.

csnerd84, DreamR and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

thats when you trade back a spot and get a 2nd round pick or the like.

The goal is the maximize the value of the pick to your team.

If that SG is an 8, and all the other prospects are a 5 on your board, you either get A LOT to moce back, or you indeed draft that SG despite the redundancies. That's not typically how it works/how teams grade it though. They typically tier players. So unless you're at a tier break, you should be able to either just take the guy in the same tier thats a better fit, or trade back, even if just getting a 2nd rounder (but hopefully much more) and get the guy who is a better fit, but same tier.

The closest we might come to that this year is with Ivey, who would be the "most" redundant at this point, but if the top 4 are in Tier 1 and the Rockets land 4th and Ivey is all that's left, and they really think AJ or whomever is a tier lower, again i absolutely take the redundancy or trade back with appropriate return cosnidering most teams likely rate the tiers similarly.

fckbandwagons and jiggyfly like this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

We need pictures of Chet's outfits. Jalen won't want him on the team if he dresses like Screech Powers.

Edit: Yeah he won't get drafted here, no swag.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, jacoby, Denovo and 4 others like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Problem may be with comprehension. Did @seeingredtx say "Chet Holmgren WILL suck because he's white" or is that just your interpretation? He said that over the course of 20 years not many white guys have been successful in the NBA. Markers of success is where you can debate the comment. "Whatabouting" into another sport is the very definition of fragile if you cant even accept some very basic talking points.

What is next? You going to jump into 'white replacement theory' ??? Get a grip dude.

jiggyfly and seeingredtx like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

The Jalen & Jabari thread has turned into Jalen & Chet thread.

Curious on thoughts on Jabari's defensive measurables and potential.

He's described as a 4, but given his 6'10" height, can he play center? Center or PF, just front court in general. How good is his rim protection. Can he play drop like a Brook Lopez, or a switch like Horford. Maybe a little bit of both?

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Give me a top 3 pick. That is all

dmoneybangbang, Tfor3 and treyk3 like this.
  8. H. Christopher

[​IMG]

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s really more of a 3/4. Solid defender with some switch ability. But a perimeter oriented offensive player with below average handles.
    Good athlete and body. Not an elite athlete or overly explosive.

Nelly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  10. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

(not political, just a meme)

Boii likes this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yeah......BUT I kinda like that he doesn’t really give AF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I love North American food.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  13. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

What??

That has more to do with culture than some backwards fake science nonsense. Clearly this might be surprising to some here but there is only one race. Guys like LeBron and Harden are not great because of some unfair advantage that Chet just cannot compete with. They are not predisposed to be great at basketball.

I think most would agree basketball has become a large part of Black American culture most likely due to the history of the Harlem Globetrotters, look up their history. The negro leagues in baseball didn't do this.

The same way most would agree strongmen competition is heavily apart of European culture.

14. xaos

xaos Member

Guys like Paul George, Leonard, Jimmy Butler have really warmed me up to prospects like Jabari (kuminga in 2021). Guys with high defensive abilities, body that enables them to guard multiple positions, but also a high offensive... hmm, call it intrigue more than upside. I know Jabari isn't much of a shot creator for himself or others, but something about his game tells me he can learn it. It's not something a player just learns in one off season though. I'd be excited with other prospects as well, but Smith is my leading candidate.

#134 xaos, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    swakid8 likes this.
  15. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

So my Pippen comparison isn’t as far off as people think it is.

swakid8 likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

I wouldn't use me to add support to any claim regarding college players. I have only watched a few of his games and I'm just a basketball enthusiast haha

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

Damn, my dude is 7 feet tall and wearing an extra medium shirt. I’m sad.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Race is much more than skin color. Height, facial structure, intelligence, inherit immunities and disorders, all have genetic factors to them.

Humans are kind of like Dogs, a Labrador and a Poodle are both dogs, but they aren't the same. That doesn't make one inherently better than the other.

As for why Basketball took over as the dominant Black sport while Baseball became the White sport in America in recent years, I think it has mostly to do with the very nature of the game.

Baseball requires a large field, specialized equipment, and organization to play. A fairly high barrier of entry exists with Little League and travel teams. The field itself requires intensive matianance, and can only be built where land is cheaper, out in the Suburbs and Rural areas as opposed to Urban ones. Just so happens to be that Surburban and especially rural populations tend to be whiter than urban ones. Baseball, for this reason, became the sport of the suburban middle class, though increasing costs of living threaten this over time.

Meanwhile, Basketball took over in cities thanks to it being the ultimate participant sport, like Soccer is in most of the world. All you need to play basketball is a ball and a court, which can be built in bulk in parks and gyms, unlike a baseball field. It being played in the winter and indoors helped greatly in northern cities. A reason I speculate basketball took off in Eastern Europe, especially the Balkans (a Male average height around 6'0" in the balkans helps too).

A bit of speculaiton on my part here, so take it with a grain of salt. While Black Americans have a lower average male height than White Americans (5'9" vs 5'10") I speculate that the bell curve on Black height is much flatter than for whites, judging by how many really short and tall Blacks I've known, and reletively few around average height, at least compared to the Whites I know. A flat bell curve = lots of extremes, and extreme height is hooping height.

19. dmoneybangbang

Jabari has the sloping brow.... not good.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm a Chet guy myself, but Jabari's skill set is a natural fit for our roster. Hell, he's a natural fit for 30 NBA rosters. 6'10" athletic sharpshooters don't grow on trees. I'm just worried about his top end potential due to a lack of handle and court vision.

While I'm high on Banchero, I know he's more ball dominant than the other top prospects and has more defensive concerns. He and Sengun as our frontcourt would not be able to protect the rim at all.

Believe It! and D-rock like this.