1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jul 19, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-ne...ounmpo-i-dont-want-to-be-the-face-of-the-nba/

When Giannis and Thanasis Antetokounmpo arrived almost secretly in Athens – in order to avoid a big crowd due to COVID safety measures – nobody expected that what Giannis tweeted in Greek would end up being true.

“We are coming and bringing the trophy”, wrote Giannis and in the press conference room of the Athens International Airport, the Finals MVP had with him not only the MVP trophy but also the Larry O’Bryant trophy that made for the first time the trip to Europe.

And that may end up being only the start for the Greek Freak who is now addicted to the feeling of being a champion: “I want to relive this. I hope we are going to stay hungry. I like to win. And if we keep our head down, then we will have more moments like these. I can’t explain it, but you get addicted to this feeling, winning the championship title. And that’s the best part of it. No matter what, Thanasis and I want to get better, to play to our limits. I don’t know what the future holds, I don’t know if we will win another title. What I know is that tomorrow I will go and practice. Of course, I want to repeat, but no matter what happens, even if we don’t win another one, then that’s God’s plan and I am okay with it. Nobody can take away what already has happened”.

The Antetokounmpos arrival almost coincided with the quarterfinals draw in Tokyo and Giannis once more repeated that he wants to win big also with the Greek national team: “I wish that right now we could be in the Olympics, playing with the national team, having the momentum from winning the NBA title. I really want to win with the national team and do something great in the future. We want to represent our flag the right way and I really want to win something with the national team. That’s my next big wish”.

His brother Thanasis added: “We have a great legacy from the previous generation of the Greek national team and we want to honor it”.

And that seems to bother Giannis more than potentially being the face of the NBA: “I am not the face of the NBA and I don’t want to be. This is something that really doesn’t interest me. I want to play, I want to win and I want to enjoy. I don’t want to be the face of the NBA, I want to be Giannis who works hard. And even if it happens, I want to push it away from me”.

Speaking about him being challenged by the great late Kobe Bryant and also about the almost constant criticism for his game from the US media, Giannis put things into perspective: “If Kobe believed in me, then it’s good enough. I don’t follow the media and social media during the playoffs. And all this criticism is something that doesn’t bother me. I am not good at free throws. You hear it from me, so? I am ok with this, I am secure and I will work to get better. Your criticism is that I don’t make free throws in the NBA finals? That’s a compliment to my ears. I wasn’t supposed to be in the NBA Finals eight years ago when I was leaving Greece. And now, no European player has done what I have already achieved”.

durvasa and JumpMan like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

In an interview with the Greek television station COSMOTE TV, Giannis talked about his mindset coming into the next season. Being modest, as he usually is, he believes he shouldn’t be called an MVP or a champion because that might distract him from his goals. On the other hand, it’s known that Giannis doesn’t have the habit of working out with other NBA players in the summer, and he gave a more precise reason as to why that is.

“I can’t be fake. I am Giannis. But calling me MVP, calling me champ, calling me the best player in the world is something that might hold me back. And I don’t want anything holding me back. I want to look forward and be better," Giannis told COSMOTE TV.

"That’s why I don’t train with other players. I don’t want to be 'buddy' with them. If we do this and then drink a coffee with them, can I go on the court and use my elbow against them? Can I block or dunk on them? I can’t 'cause I am authentic. If I love someone, I love him also on the court. I am fully aware of that, and I don’t want to put myself in this position.”

Giannis also reflected back on the NBA Finals series against the Phoenix Suns in which Milwaukee lost the first two games. After losing Game 1 and Game 2 as Giannis played on a hyperextended knee that he sustained during the Eastern Conference Finals, it seemed that the Bucks wouldn’t have much of a chance to bounce back. However, they made the proper adjustments heading into Game 3, and Giannis was able to clear his thoughts from the fans teasing him about his free-throw shooting. He even admitted to talking with a sports psychiatrist because it was affecting his confidence.

"I shouldn’t [have been] playing in the Finals. I was hurt in Game 1. I was praying. We lost. In Game 2, I scored 40 and we lost. I was sh***ing in my pants, I was hurt," Giannis said. "After that, we just wanted to defend our home. But then my teammates reacted, the team reacted, Jrue [Holiday] was all over the place.

"The key was how to manage my fear, my anxiety. I was talking with a sports psychiatrist every day. He helped me be myself. The free throws were a mental issue, and I want to continue this in the next season. And I want to see if we can repeat this as a team. I want to see if we can do it again — myself, my teammates, the owners, everyone.”

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

pretty sure that's not his blood bro. look nothing alike

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Don't hate on Giannis' because of his choice of words. That last tidbit might come across as cocky and or arrogant because English is probably the man's third language.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Remember all that talk to start the year about his much improved/smoother looking jump shot?

guy is currently at 68% from the line and 28% from 3…both lower than last year

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m actually kind of shocked by their slow start. Giannis seemed unstoppable last season. Fg% down 7% percent so not too much of a difference from previous years.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

13. HardenVolumeOne

must be nice to sit out games to stay fresh and keep you're PER inflated like giannis does, fool dont play a full schedule..

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That championship and Finals MVP he won last year must feel even nicer.

GreatOne1978 likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

16. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

17. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Interestingly, Jokic is 0.1 blocks / game away from doing this very same thing. Crazy stuff.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2>3