1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Hopefully his velocity stays up. Should his age be a concern? In his 1 Spring training game his velocity was down although he said he was fine and because there was no adrenaline at that situation. Anyhow, if true, glad that he's sticking around. Seemed like him and his wife enjoys Houston.

2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This changes the AAV a bit….

3. Screaming Fist

Im assuming there is no concern regarding the health of his arm and his reduced velo. If that’s the case, then I think there’s a decent chance the value he produces exceeds the AAV. Still, it would be nice to have found the next Pressly for cheaper.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm glad they extended him, but honestly that to me is what Pressly would have gotten in free agency. If the Astros were willing to pay that why not wait? Astros got ZERO discount for taking away the injury risk of this season.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

idk…damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Press has been elite so I don’t mind paying him 30m over 2 years. Of course everyone wants to find the cheap elite reliever. Doesn’t make it easy or feasible and we’re not exactly in the luxurious position to roll out relievers until we find a solid cheap option. Inking Press to this deal doesn’t shock my conscious, seems like a fair deal for a v good reliever. There’s risk inherent in any deal and I don’t hate this one by any means.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This is fine. Now do Yordan and/or Tucker. Please.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pressly extension is a fair deal. Probably more downside than upside but overall value seems fair. If the Astros don’t extend Tucker and Alvarez they’ve likely got a big cliff looming after 2024/2025. We need to enjoy the next 3 seasons.

2022: Gurriel, Castro, Diaz, Brantley, Verlander, Odorizzi, Montero
    2023: Maldonado, Goodrum, Stanek, Maton
    2024: Altuve, Bregman, Pressly, Neris
    2025: Tucker, Alvarez, Framber, Urquidy, Javier, Taylor
    2026+: Meyers, Siri, Pena, McCormick, Garcia, McCullers

#3127 Snake Diggit, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm so ****ing ready for Houston Astros baseball.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s 70 million coming off the books in 2022 to find a corner OF bat, a 1B bat and an ace. If Meyer’s is really good you should be able to get better after 2022 in all honesty. But yeah- if you don’t extend Yordan and Tucker that’s scary time after 2025. My hope is Altuve can still be average and we extend him at a much lower number so you’d have room for Tucker and Yordan to get more expensive. If you really want to keep it rolling through the decade those guys, you would think, would have to be a part of that. Bregman is interesting m- he’s not going to be young when he comes up, he seems to really like it here, maybe he’s an Astro for life.
    the real key that you can see here is just how far out our starters are from getting big money. The window has been extended longer than we might have expected in 2019 by getting above average performance from 3 guys that weren’t expensive or highly valued prospects. Really need Brown and Whitley to hit as above average guys and Solomon to be a solid middle of the rotation guy. Leon and Lee hitting also would solve a lot of problems. If that happens you definitely have a lot more breathing room to afford an ace and a really big bat at 1B.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think Yuli does well this year and gets another 2 year deal, or year plus option. He’s worth it and he helps so much with the Astros brand back home.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  11. Jeremy Williams

Too soon. Haha

Bregatron likes this.
  12. raining threes

I think the expanded playoffs is going to severely reduced the number of quality players available at the deadline.

Wulaw Horn and IowaAstro like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we've learned anything it's that Click really f**king loves his relief pitchers and is not scared to pay them.

Probably a little more risk than one would like, but Pressly is postseason proven and it allows us to focus on trying to get quality innings out of the pen with the closer question answered.

juicystream likes this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

This is likely because of the state of our team. ALL of our graduating top flight pitchers project as starters. Relief pitching has been our one glaring weakness the past 2 years and continues to be so.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If only Correa was a reliever. He'd still be here.

This is the kind of deal you make to a free agent, not a spring training extension.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Pressley - 3 yrs $42M - Available

Scherzer - 3 years $130M - Unavailable

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Committing $14M to Pressly puts the projected 2023 payroll roughly equal to the current payroll, assuming Verlander and Odorizzi pick up their options. Alvarez, Tucker, Framber, Urquidy, and Javier all entering arbitration will offset the money coming off the books from Gurriel, Brantley, Diaz, and Castro.

Houston really needs Lee, Pena, and Leon to be at least solid everyday caliber players.

Assuming everybody is healthy (pushing Odo into the pen as the 6th SP), the Astros might have $50M spent on just their bullpen next season.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am a fan of Astros players and I like when the Astros can keep a good one. The deal is meh (neither good or bad) to me from a sheer production standpoint, but that is the way fair deals should be. I was hoping for a Tucker or possibly a Maton (if his slider change is legit) extension.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Keith Law
    https://theathletic.com/3231780/2022/04/06/mlb-season-projections-playoff-picks-2022/

American League
    AL East
    Toronto 94-68
    N.Y. Yankees 91-71
    Tampa Bay 88-74
    Boston 82-80
    Baltimore 61-101

AL Central
    Chicago White Sox 90-72
    Minnesota 86-76
    Kansas City 77-85
    Cleveland 75-87
    Detroit 74-88

AL West
    Houston 92-70
    Seattle 85-77
    L.A. Angels 83-79
    Texas 75-87
    Oakland 59-103

The Astros won 95 games last year, with a run differential big enough for a 101-win Pythagorean total, so while they got worse this winter – losing Correa and Greinke to free agency, with Lance McCullers Jr. out once again with arm soreness – they’re still the best team in this division. I don’t think this formula lasts forever, but I do believe they have one more year of a buffer before the Mariners, in particular, catch up. Handing Jeremy Peña the shortstop job is gutsy, but he’s remade himself as a hitter and I’m hopeful he can give them something like league-average production in what will probably be a limited workload.

The Mariners did everything they could to get better, signing Robbie Ray, trading for Jesse Winker and now adding future star Julio Rodríguez to the Opening Day roster, marking three of the top 10 overall prospects in baseball who will make their major-league debuts on Opening Day (Julio, Witt and Torkelson). They were also outscored by 51 runs last year, and their total of 90 wins was the product of some good fortune that isn’t likely to recur. I do think they’ll get internal improvement from Jarred Kelenic and Logan Gilbert, and they might lead the league in fun differential, but I’d put their playoff odds a bit under 25 percent.

The Angels should score a bunch more runs this year, getting more production from a healthy Mike Trout and a healthy Anthony Rendon, while seeing some improvement from Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh, but the rotation is just not playoff-worthy unless several guys really surprise us. Noah Syndergaard might be effective, but you can’t project a full season of work on him after two years lost to Tommy John surgery, and he’s arguably their No. 2 starter. I would like to believe we’ll see more from Reid Detmers in 2022 as he adjusts to the big-league baseball.

The Rangers also made a huge push to improve their club in free agency, signing a whole new middle infield and one of the most intriguing starters on the market – I think everyone wants to see what Jon Gray can do away from altitude and with a different organization. They were also a 100-loss team last year, and even the 16-win improvement I’m projecting here seems optimistic. I just don’t see how they could get to .500 when they were outscored by nearly 200 runs last year and their rotation isn’t that different, with Gray replacing Jordan Lyles and without 19 starts of Kyle Gibson this time.

I’m sorry, Oakland fans. You will have some fun individual players to watch this year – Cristian Pache can play the hell out of centerfield, Kevin Smith is ready to play every day now and returning catcher Sean Murphy is just short of a star – but MLB needs to just move this team already. Or perhaps Congress will actually act on the antitrust exemption so the A’s can move themselves. In a winter in which multiple 2021 non-contenders went out and spent money to improve their clubs (Tigers, Twins, Rangers), the A’s are tanking. Even though they’re getting good value in some of the returns, this isn’t good for baseball.

Awards
    AL MVP: Carlos Correa

It’d be a hell of a narrative if Correa just has the same season he did last year and is then credited for “carrying” the Twins to the playoffs (even though he’d have a lot of help if they do so). Other candidates include the obvious ones of Trout, Shohei Ohtani, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Judge.

AL Cy Young: Gerrit Cole

He probably should have won last year, not that Ray wasn’t deserving, Cole was just a shade better, as was Gausman. Dark horse candidate: Lucas Giolito, although his home park doesn’t help his case.

AL Rookie of the Year: Spencer Torkelson

Take your pick – Torkelson, Witt, Rodríguez, Peña, perhaps Rutschman if he doesn’t miss too much of the season, even Lowe or Greene could sneak into this. We’re going to see a ton of great rookies in the AL this year.

National League
    NL East
    Atlanta 93-69
    N.Y. Mets 88-74
    Philadelphia 84-78
    Miami 80-82
    Washington 71-91

NL Central
    Milwaukee 91-71
    Chicago Cubs 83-79
    St. Louis 80-82
    Cincinnati 77-85
    Pittsburgh 62-100

NL West
    L.A. Dodgers 100-62
    San Diego 91-71
    San Francisco 85-77
    Arizona 72-90
    Colorado 61-101

Awards
    NL MVP: Juan Soto
    NL Cy Young: Walker Buehler
    NL Rookie of the Year: C.J. Abrams

Playoffs
    N.Y. Yankees over Tampa Bay
    Chicago White Sox over Minnesota
    Milwaukee over San Diego
    N.Y. Mets over San Francisco

Toronto over N.Y. Yankees
    Chicago White Sox over Houston
    L.A. Dodgers over N.Y. Mets
    Milwaukee over Atlanta

Toronto over Chicago White Sox
    L.A. Dodgers over Milwaukee

World Series: Toronto over L.A. Dodgers

I mean, picking the Dodgers wouldn’t be any fun, would it?