1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. conquistador#11

ughh sorry

#501 conquistador#11, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  2. conquistador#11

hoping the surge in minutes motivate him to get back into top physique. I think the injuries, being pulled to the D league after saying don't leave me Madrid, all led to his freshman 15+.
    In the early pages, I compared him to that rookie instigator in a Rockets blowout win 10 seasons ago vs Mark Jackson's team. Rox have a lot of talent and more coming in. Just got to find a way to make it fit.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

DreamShock gets it. Not every player needs to be Donavan Mitchell
    or Doncic. At least one on the court can be Rudy Gobert.

I wanted the Rockets to draft Garuba not for what he can do in
    year one; but over the span of his career. Fernando also fits
    that bill as well, someone that can do the dirty work of rim
    protection, screen setter, rebounder, shot blocker and lob threat.

Like most Rockets I want them to shoot 1000 three's a day
    in the off-season and free throws.

Kenyon - master shooting 3's
    Tate- master shooting 3's
    Sengun- master 3's & continue foot work drills. 5 (3's) a gm x 82 gms efficiently
    Josh Christopher- master shooting 3's
    Wood-- FT's (1000 a day)
    Porter- FT's (1000 a day)

Jalen Green- weight room (twice a day) and visiting Golden Corral 3 times a week.

#503 ApacheWarrior, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like what I see from Garuba. He clearly needs to work on his offensive skills but he has top notch defensive and rebounding instincts.

DreamShook and roslolian like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

American Nigerian > Spanish Nigerian

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Without any OFFENSE in today's league, he's going to be totally obsolete. 5 on 4 does not work

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Draymond Green’s done pretty well without providing much offense.

roslolian and Mathloom like this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He's a playmaker and he can hit timely shots. You don't have to be Steph Curry but Rodman doesn't translate into today's league

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is ridiculous guys have you not learned your lesson after Jalen educated you?

The game is half defense and half offense. No matter where the league is going. Offense makes more money, it doesn't win more games. The important possessions in a game can be defensive or offensive.

Defense is not another thing like rebounding, assists or steals. Those things will never ever reach the importance of even a quarter of the game, nevermind half. They are sub categories. That's why no one gives a **** that Cade grabs a few extra rebounds. These are sub sub stats.

The big stats are offense and defense. You know how important defense is? Rudy Gobert is a top 2 player on a team that has been contending 3 years. Rebounds and steals and even blocks don't do that. You need a huge category like defense or offense to change the trajectory of your team.

Garuba is going to be an elite defender. The kind of defender that raises the teams defensive floor. That skill alone is $15m. That's the difference between Draymond and Kenneth Faried. That's why one is worth almost the max and the other is out of the league. Garuba played better defense in his first NBA minute than Faried played in his last.

I guess I'm going to have to start a new book for our guy so we can have fun with these predictions later.

Here's mine: he will be our best defender next season and be able to hit 36% of wide wide open 3's. Also surprise: he's going to turn out to be a great passer.

roslolian and vator like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I 100%, definitely hope all that is true but from looking at his highlights and what I've seen from him early on, in the G-League and last night, I do not see any "O" in him.

Also, if he's only getting minutes as a backup 5 and let's say they bring in a legit 7' ft center, where does Sengun play? He's not better than Sengun.

I know most people are going to to say Sengun is a starter but I feel he matchup better against backup bigs. The bigger centers take advantage of his size.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he can't average more than 6 or 7 points a game, he is pretty useless and could only used in certain situations.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also Bruno Fernando about to show the world he's Bam Adebayo but good on offense.

Prove me wrong coward

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Agreed. Ideally more of a 4 but can play small ball 5. Wanted to see heavy minutes with him next to Sengun to close out the yr. For chemistry it would be smart for them to train together this summer. They both need a serious Strength and Conditioning program.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why would his current stats show it? This is exactly what I mean. This is the same rationale used for Jalen "I hope so but he looks far".

They are not you and me. They are globally elite teenage basketball players. They will look bad as rookies.

It's supposed to go like: the 19 yr old Spaniard who has no offensive skills struggles hard at the beginning and then turns it around after a season or two worth of games.

You can't look at the struggle and brainwash yourself into believing that means the opposite thing is going to happen. All raw players struggle first, and some struggle forever.

Garuba had struggled in every first season he's had on a new team and shocked all the old people after a while.

If what's happening was inexplicable, the pessimistic arguments would have merit. But it's going exactly the most likely way it would go. It's ridiculous to be alarmed about what was always going to happen before he gets good.

Same f'ing thing as Jalen. Guys who didn't go to American college follow a different development pattern. Rougher starts, bigger improvements in year 2 vs other rookies.

Jalen popped early because he's a basketball god and maybe that spoiled you. Garuba is a big man, the path for him is to be a top 15 defender in year 3. It didn't change cause he got injured and put on 5lbs.

red5rocket and roslolian like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

I mean 14 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks is not that bad lol

You can’t possibly think he’ll never learn how to score a little around the basket…right?

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Draymond doesn't hit timely shots, his numbers in the clutch are just as atrocious.

Also, he was not a playmaker in his rookie season.

If you're saying rookie garuba is not as good as a talented ten year vet, why the hell would he be better than them in these simplistic comparisons???

Rookie garuba vs rookie Draymond/Gobert is what we're doing here. Usman arrived late, played at a crowded position, got injured, fell out of game shape.

You guys are bemoaning our pick when there has literally never been an extended stretch of games and minutes where he didn't improve.

Does it really require this much discussion to understand: WAIT TILL HE PLAYS DOZENS OF GAMES AGAINST BETTER PLAYERS THAN HIM, THEN JUDGE HIM AFTER THAT.

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

19. dmoneybangbang

Still way too early to tell.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

We picked him at 21. Most players picked at that spot get cut after their rookie deal ends so I can say so far he is looking good.