1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Every team in the league has manipulated service time for decades.

The Beard and No Worries like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Alvarez was not a no brainer opening day guy. He wasn't a no brainer until he made every pitcher look like little league pitchers in Triple A.

#62 rockbox, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    No Worries and Tuckankhamun like this.
  3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I heard it was actually large targets in the outfield that if hit give you the two points, and each of these targets will have sponsorship tie ins.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

1 FOR 3, 2 RBI today. Works for me.

rockbox likes this.
  5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone thought Crane was ever going to just hand out huge contracts to the core group from our World Series championship teams. We should judge him on the team's ability to have quality players to step in. Hopefully Pena will be the real deal. It's too early to tell on McCormack / Meyers but I'd say it's doubtful either will be a Springer. Let's just hope we don't wind up going tank-a-thon again.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think Leon takes CF eventually. He has all the tools and showed flashes last year. Needs to find the consistency in Sugar Land this year.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston has consistently weathered losing their homegrown stars in the Crane era. Keuchel, then Springer, now Correa. They will probably not be able to keep both Alvarez and Tucker. They may not be able to extend Bregman. But as long as they are able to replace the production in the aggregate they will still win and be fun to watch which is all that really should matter to most fans. Alvarez and Tucker came in the 2nd wave and it looks like Garcia, Pena, and possibly Lee and Leon and Brown could be a 3rd wave.

13 in 33, Radricky, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

This is the stage of the dynasty where you have to trust the process and player evaluation. Can the Astros weather the loss of another All-Star talent up the middle and remain World Series contenders? 2019 was the peak in my opinion, one of the most talented rosters ever assembled. If they miss on Pena, Bregman continues his Sean Berry impression, Verlander is a shell of himself and Brantley/Altuve start their natural declines, then the fall will be swift.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think he is the best center fielder we have right now.

The Beard likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He wouldn't be in Sugarland if that were the case.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They can because they will have to. The day is likely to come when most of the guys we consider icons and the very definition of the team are gone.

We stay relevant if we make good trades, sign the right FO's and draft well. Trying to keep world series teams together is impossible. We better all get use to it.

12. htownbball

htownbball Member

Just hoping Pena can hit .270 with 10-15 homers this year. I think his AAA run was a bit flukey since he's not a flyball hitter.

Really looking for consistency with Leon. He's super tooled up. Last year they did him a disservice moving him to SS in his first year in the minors. Hopefully he can relax and just play his game.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

if Pena hits .270 he will be a star level player.

13 in 33, Squirtle, BlindHog and 2 others like this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

I think that by avoiding the crazy 10+ year contracts, we avoid the tank-a-thon.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If he is only 85% of Correa's total talent, I will be happy with him making it through an entire season healthy; unlike Correa.

13 in 33 and Squirtle like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I feel really confident that Jeremy Peña’s 2022 value will fall somewhere between 2021 Paul Dejong (1.6 fwar) and 2021 Willy Adames (4.2 fwar), depending on his luck and how quickly he adjusts to the big leagues. On the plus side his defense and baserunning will be there and he will likely hit for at least some power. On the negative he is pretty unlikely to boast a high walk rate and he is very likely going to post a >20% k rate. It’ll be all about how close to that 20% he can keep it and just how much quality contact he can make.

Squirtle likes this.
  17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jeremy Pena is the best damn rookie I've ever seen since Jake Meyers.

13 in 33 likes this.
  18. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Good **** as usual from you.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

One can hope.

20. Buck Turgidson

Jake Meyers was the best damn rookie I'd seen since Chas McCormick

13 in 33 likes this.