1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We will not have to tank next year .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Mar 30, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We will very likely be at the bottom of our division anyways . Gunning for top 4 .. we will let the cards play out ... I hope .

the lakers likely lottery pick is headed to New Orleans or Memphis . Dallas has luka, San Antonio is outplaying the competition and making the playoffs . They should improve too . New Orleans will have a more motivated Zion next year , or what they trade him for . CJ is a good consistent vet.

even if sengun and green and new picks improve rapidly , we are still too green to do better than 5th . If we are not there it’s because we’ve had fantastic injury luck and other teams have not .

Being in such a tough division bodes well if we are not a bottom team . It means that we are on a steep upward trajectory . Plus if you are the 6- 7th worst team , you still have like 32-37% chance at a top 4 pick . That’s like a 3 pointer !

but hey you might shut guys down at the end of the year anyways to load manage .

I don’t care about tanking in the last 10 games ... I’m talking we put in the organizational work to intentionally be top 4 bad . I think front office has been dictating rotations and minutes to a certain extent all year .

green played way too much out the gate . Sengun not enough . Theis in bad combinations . The priorities were not to be made in-game to win .. development of certain guys in certain roles was the focus.

It becomes apparent in the final stretch when teams are blatantly doing it . But we’ve been positioned to lose all year .

no man should be made to suffer the same fate thrice . Next year , the team shouldnt begin the year with the priority of being bottom 4 . I will have to look across the league and say who I think should be worse. We should strive to show growth and manage to close our more wins

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we wasted this season playing danuel house and danual thesis and other scrub vets huge roles to get a second round pick for them

you gotta play vets to showcase them....where are the realists and silas apologists now?

didnt even managed to squeeze a single second rounder for all of them lololololol

held garuba sengun green kjm nix and josh back..wasted a year of their development and huge amount of playing time and chemistry building ....lolollolol

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

honestly , both of those guys did bring some positives . Theis more so than house . House deserved the same type of role as nwaba and brooks (which is to say a small one and you prolly sit a bunch) .

Theis I think could have been used to win games . The C’s have more talent on the roster by a bunch , but we weren’t doing theis any favors hanging him out to dry playing him next to wood .

I think Christopher and sengun were capable early in the season . Playing them more would have been a variance risk the front office didn’t want to take . If sengun and Tate and theis and jc and kpj and Gordon nwaba (House brooks) get some chemistry ... plus you have green easing in and still developing. We’d be feeling just as good about growth over the season ... but we’d have 5-6 more wins to show for it (if things came together well , or maybe even more )

front office wanted a bottom 4 result . With the “work” we put in . We are in control of our own destiny and not in say , Portland’s spot.

I won’t say this season is a waste . You did do some things for green and kpj and wood playing them more minutes . Gordon , should have been moved . Plus , you are allowed to tank for 2 years (I’d prefer 1 , but I’m not raising hell) . However , 3 years in a row is just too much . It’s greedy ! Against the spirit of the game .

coach’s feet are to the fire next year . You gotta play guys that are competing for minutes and play to win . Because of this you can’t ask to tank again and if you wanna lose make roster moves early and take credit stone .

4. thekad

thekad Member

Relying on internal improvement from 19/20 year olds isn’t a recipe for winning. 2023 is another year to tank unless there’s a miraculous trade for a Zion-type.

And of course the Rockets weren’t tanking the past two seasons. They just suck.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If we're out of it next year we need to tank like crazy - Wenbanyama looks like a generational talent.

I don't care if we draft both Chet and Jabari and they're both on the all rookie team. Wen-b is another level

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Just fire Sil@ss!!!!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

All of those teams mentioned have high volatility, they have not proven to win consistently , and you are relying on all of them to do well. Dallas has one guy, the rest are not to be relied on.

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

[​IMG]

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Atleast compete for the play in game next year

10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

What are you smoking
    We’re gonna be just as awful next year

11. dmoneybangbang

Obviously it depends on what we do in the draft and offseason..... but I'd bet we are a bottom 10 team instead of a bottom 3.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. jayydela

jayydela Member

We should activate John Wall

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who does wenbanyama remind you of? I haven’t really seen him play.

14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Chet Holmgren, but even bigger and longer.

15. my time to shine

Next year we need to try to win and have some improvement - we’ll still be a lottery team though.

then then 2023 off-season is when we have hella cap space and should be better positioned to try to compete as OKC takes pick control again

Wulaw Horn and groovemachine like this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Gotta make sure the young players actually develop and not internalize losing like the Kings and T'Wolves for a generation...

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

ahh Clutchfans - yer always a ray of sunshine....

lol!

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nah. Next year assuming we get a top 5 pick should be focused on winning. One more losing tanking season would ruin guys like Green and Sengun. Bad habits will be developed.

clutchdabear, groovemachine and kjayp like this.
  19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

There’s three guarantees for rockets 2023 Bball

1. Silas
    2. Silas
    3. The Tank (on purpose or not see 1&2)

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

3-4 years is realistically the timeline a lot of successful tanking teams have worked with.

OKC struggled for 3 years, but drafted Durant, Westbrook and Harden in those losing season, and the season they drafted Harden is the season they leap frogged from a 20 win team to a 50 win team. However, OKC nailed all 3 draft picks so their rebuild didn't take long.

Sixers are similar, with 4 consecutive intentional losing seasons, before leap frogging into a 50 win team. Sixers also busted a couple of top picks (Fultz, Okafor) during this period, but Embiid and Simmons was more or less all they needed.

The Rockets are on the right track, Stone seems to have done very well for his first set of draft picks, with 3 of 4 looking like very high quality NBA players. However, the Rockets realistically want to tank for at least 1-2 more years. The Rockets want to maximize the value of their own picks whilst they still have control, because the Rockets will lose control between 2024-2026. The Rockets mitigated this part with the picks they got from Brooklyn, but realistically 2024-2026 is when the Rockets want to compete the hardest.