1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

I think the Stros will be alright.

MrBear1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

OPS is a good tool. Frankly, I'm a statistician from the 90s so usually stick with my guns on the numbers. Can't seem to gravitate to this new hip way of doing things yet ;)

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'll go to step 1 for me. PA over AB; then OBP over BA. Back in the mid 2000s, I equated Outs above average with hits above average as an early total player value comp. I never got into the minutia, but I was into the general concepts.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The look of Metzger and Everett. Looks good, but smooth.

Correa would have made a diving stop and gunned it to 1B at 95 MPH. Same result, but Correa's would have looked much more spectacular. Jeter would have just watched it so he wouldn't pick up the error.

Jeter would win the GG. He saved his diving plays for balls hit within 5 feet of where he started.

13 in 33 likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just watched a Correa highlight play. Almost the same play Pena made and sure enough, Correa dived for the ball, sprang to his feet and made the play just just as I predicted two paragraphs above. LOL!

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Anybody know what kind of draft pick compensation you get now for having a rookie finish in the top 3?

VI. Service Time Manipulation

The top two players in Rookie of the Year voting must receive at least a full year of service time, regardless of when they were called up.
    Teams that promote a player to the opening day roster and keep him up for a full season will be eligible to receive up to three draft picks if the player finishes in the Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year voting or Top 5 in MVP/Cy Young voting before he is eligible for arbitration.

Odds to Win American League Rookie of the Year
    Bobby Witt Jr.: +275
    Julio Rodriguez: +500
    Spencer Torkelson: +500
    Adley Rutschman: +600
    Shane Baz: +1000
    Jeremy Pena: +1200
    Josh Jung: +1200
    Reid Detmers: +1500
    Riley Greene: +1500
    Joe Ryan: +2000

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What are the odds on the field?

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Can we not build him up way too much so that we don't crush him when goes through expected rookie learning curve?

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it’s a comp pick after the 2nd round but I could be wrong. Will be an interesting storyline for Houston. Certainly reasonable to think Pena can finish in the top 3 for ROY. What’s crazy is that until they agree to drop the QO in exchange for an international draft, a team can get up to 4 draft picks for developing one star player (3 in his first 3 seasons if he finishes top 3 in ROY/MVP, then another when he leaves in free agency).

#51 Snake Diggit, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    The Real Shady likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can already see it now: "Pena's ceiling is Corey Brewer"

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Interesting tidbit.

A team that brings up a player for Opening Day can net 3 draft picks over time, one pick per year, if that player does well in voting – this means that teams who bring up players who finish top 5 in Cy Young or MVP voting get that reward. In other words, don’t hold back those young stars to manipulate their service time because you could lose out on extra draft picks.

https://crashingthepearlygates.com/2022/03/10/top-11-changes-in-new-mlb-cba/

Oops! I see it was just mentioned a few posts up. I couldn't remember where I read it so I researched it.

#53 Marshall Bryant, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are no ceilings. Just expectations.

15. dmoneybangbang

Feels like we need him to be above average defensively moreso offensively.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Defense is often more consistent than offense from level to level. He is going to be a good one. He passed the eye test. However; he has a smoother style than Correa which is just as effective, Think Metzger and Everett making difficult plays look routine so you don't even realize how outstanding they are.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

"Jeremy Pena experiment"

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They're all experiments. Pena is an experiment of youth, Pujols is an experiment of ... maturity. Verlander is an experiment of injury recovery.

~Baseball is an experiment. But I hear they are considering shortening the game by allowing for a two point conversion for an automatic win after a grand slam.~

~sarcasm~

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They should call this the Yordon Alvarez Rule. Almost every rule change appears to be an attempt to undo what the Astros have done under the rules.

Nook likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you're talking about service time manipulation, the Astros main example is Springer. Other teams have done it as well, most notable Kris Bryant who filed a grievance against the Cubs.

Marshall Bryant likes this.