1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessing the trade value of the Rockets players in terms of this Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 22, 2022.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

They are both really good, I think Jalen has a significantly higher upside. Green is the only player on the roster that is untouchable at this point. Sengun could be used in a package for a vet all star in a year or two.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That is true. He is averaging 44.8% from three point land over the last 35 games and that's incredible. He's also a -7.0 on +/- because he doesn't play any defense when playing it becomes difficult. He shies away from defending the rim. The most efficient shot in the NBA is the dunk and he plays the position in which you are expected to stop that. He doesn't.

Christian Wood is at best a 6th man in the NBA for times when your real center needs a break and the other team's real center is also taking a break. He's got skill, but not center skill. Not defensively.
    ...And we desperately need defense from that position. We're terrible because we're young, but we're the worst team in the league because Christian Wood is our center. Mason Plumlee has started 63 games and has a 0.7 +/- and he scores 6.6 ppg. Mason Plumlee. Our center is worse that Mason Plumlee because he doesn't do anything on the other end.

I believe Wood can play defense, but I also believe he'll never figure that out on the court for even half a season.

DreamR likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m not high on this draft.

KPJ - 2nd rounder
    Wood - mid 1st rounder in future draft
    Tate - late 1st rounder
    Gordon - late 1st rounder
    Sengun - top 5 pick
    KJ Martin - keep him (we’re not getting enough worth trading him)
    Garry Bird - keep him (we’re not getting enough worth trading him)

glad to see Christopher isn’t on this list; he’s worth keeping.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Worth about the 10th pick
    Alperen Sengun

Players tradeable, but unlikely to get a stand alone pick worth trading to acquire.
    Kevin Porter Jr.
    Christian Wood, might be useful to trade up a few spots with Brooklyn Pick
    Jae'Sean Tate, might be useful to trade up a few spots with Brooklyn Pick
    Eric Gordon
    KJ Martin
    Garrison Mathews

Edit: I really don't like this draft depth and it should be easy to buy a pick if wanted. A Top 20 pick would be enough for me to trade these guys (Top 5 Sengun, Top 15 for Mathews).

#64 Joe Joe, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Kevin Porter Jr. - 2nd round pick

Christian Wood - Late 1st early 2nd

Jae'Sean Tate - Mid to Late 1st

Eric Gordon - Mid to Late 1st

Alperen Sengun - Lottery. Top 5.

KJ Martin - Probably wouldn't but Late 1st round. No team would do that and wouldn't trade him for a second rounder.

Garrison Mathews - Late 1st.

I think that unlike some Rockets fans, most teams are firmly aware that KPJ and Wood are bad players putting up numbers on a bad team. I think it's likelier that Wood leaves after his contract ends instead of getting a good return for him.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Kevin Porter Jr. - Top 10
    Christian Wood - Top 10
    Jae'Sean Tate - Top 15
    Eric Gordon - Top 23 or 2 2s, with one being 30-35
    Alperen Sengun - Top 5
    KJ Martin - Top 15
    Garrison Mathews - 2 2s

That’s what ‘I need’; who would say, ‘Yes’? is a great ‘deal’ more difficult.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. Aruba77

That would be a complete disaster; especially if we draft one of the 3 bigs with our first pick. But in general he hasn’t been good for our team: poor defense, black hole, diva, inconsistent effort, etc. he’s just not worth having on your team. Same with KPJ. Their value as players doesn’t outweigh their deficiencies, lack of effort and the drama they bring. Plus they take minutes away from other young prospects who play hard and don’t act like b#tches.

while KPJ did improve throughout the year, the reality is it wasn’t enough to show that he can co-exist with Green in the back court. And to clutch’s point that’s the most important right now. I would have loved KPJ in a 6th man role, but with his latest meltdown I just think it’s time to move on.

8. MystikArkitect

That's the reality though. We act like other GMs and coaches can't see what we see. Porter is worth *nothing*. No team would trade anything for him. Wood might be worth a late 1st to a playoff team where he can come off the bench. The Rockets need to accept the reality that if no team is willing to trade a 1st for Wood before the draft, take what you can get for him.

SamFisher and Aruba77 like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

He is a -7 because he’s on the worst team in the nba, you can put Anthony Davis here and he would also have a negative +/-. Yes he is not good at defending the paint, which is why he is better off playing the stretch 4 next to a traditional big. Its the coaches job to figure that out instead of forcing him to play as the lone big next to a 6’4 pf which exposes Wood’s weaknesses more as opposed to covering them up.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I see you Dave...

Clutch likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider trading Green and Sengun at all, in terms of the next draft. Sengun is younger than Chet.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Kevin Porter Jr. - 15-30
    Christian Wood - 15-30
    Jae'Sean Tate - 20-30
    Eric Gordon - 20-30
    Alperen Sengun - 5
    KJ Martin - 30-40
    Garrison Mathews - 30-50

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I love Sengun but if a team is prepared to give me a Top 5 (specifically one that can net us Ivey) to go along with, hopefully, a Top 2 pick I would do it. Coming out of this draft with Jabari/Chet AND Ivey? Sounds like another

[​IMG]

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Packaging Wood and Gordon would be almost impossible because of the salaries they would have to take back. It’s the same scenario as Wall. The Rockets are content to let this play out and have all the cap room after next season. We should be trying to get future lottery protected picks for both of them or one good low cost player and filler that expires the same time they do. That is the best case scenario in my opinion. I don’t think anyone that has a mid round pick is going to trade it for either one, but certainly not for both. Tate and Gordon or Tate and Wood might do it, but is that worth it for a mid-round pick? Top 10 picks in a draft as deep as this one are going to be really hard to obtain with our assets unless we include our lightly protected 2023 pick.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would only trade Sengun if it could net me Ivey, Jabari, or Chet. Banchero is pretty much the same player after Sengun perfects his three in the off-season.

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It would depend on how desperate teams are. Whilst EG and Wood would be a big contract, it's specifically because there are a few teams with unmovable bloated contracts that would make the trade possible.

For example, EG, Wood and a filler (like David Nwaba) for Westbrook and 2 distant future unprotected first rounder + pick swap seems doesn't seem like a bad deal for either teams, and would probably be the only way the Rockets could secure a lottery pick (in this case, potentially multiple lottery picks). Or for example, Gordon and Wood for Tobias Harris and bunch of first rounder also wouldn't be bad.

Trading for just EG alone, or just Wood alone, would likely not net you a lottery pick because no team that is bad enough will give up a lottery pick for either of these players. However, if there is a large bloated contract on a team trying to be competitive (which there are a few of), the Rockets can provide two quality role players, take on the bloated contract, in exchange for multiple picks t hat have the opportunity to convert into quality picks.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If there's a prospect that slips to the Knicks pick (currently at 9th), I'd package the 16th, Wood and Tate (if needed) to move up. Wood and Tate fits in with the "I gotta get at least to .500 next season and into the playoffs to keep my job' timeline that Thibs has carved out for himself.

Murray, Washington, or Griffin at 9 would be nice.

flamingdts likes this.
  18. Aruba77

I think at this point, given the deficiency of talent on the roster and lack of good coaching we have to expect to suck next year. That 2023 pick could be extremely valuable. I think we have to keep that off the table at all costs.

id like to see us roll the 2022 Brooklyn pick, the 2023 Milwaukee pick, and a couple player assets (not Green or Sengun) to get back into the top 5 or 6, or get a better unprotected future draft pick, or get a young stud prospect. But either way it’s time to take a shot at getting another major piece beyond the top 3 pick we are likely to get out of this draft.

steddinotayto and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

I don't know enough about the prospects outside of Chet/Smith/Ivey/Banchero/Griffin, so it's really hard to answer this question!

So, I'll answer it with this strategy in mind: I believe we are still in high potential asset accumulation mode. Next year's draft will be the last year to do that through our own draft picks. So, I'm still picking best player available regardless of need, unless if Green + prospect is redundant. Also, some of these trades are more about the overall strategy than what I think the player is worth ex: I think Gordon is worth more than the 20th pick in this draft, but would trade him for almost any FRP so we can focus on our younger players and not win any meaningless game next year. Also, to avoid making it even more complicated, I am assuming we are not packaging our players

Green - not a single pick in this draft
    Wood - I think we can get a mid-first round pick for, but would settle for any FRP even while knowing any late FRP is not likely to ever have the same production as Wood does now
    Gordon - I think we can get mid-first round pick, but would settle for any FRP, preferably in a future draft
    KPJ - I don't have a clue what his market should be because there is a risk/reward component here that I don't have a good pulse on. I'd trade KPJ for a top 10 pick, but don't think there's any teams willing to do that and I don't feel the rush to do it. There's potential for the price to go up, but more likely to go down significantly over the course of next season. If I were to guess, I'd guess his value turns into a 2nd round pick by next year, but he doesn't affect our overall strategy.
    Sengun - Top 5 pick. Love the dude, love his game, but if I had a chance at Chet/Smith/Ivey/Banchero and even Griffin I'd do it
    Tate - I know he has lost some popularity here, but I still want to keep him so I'd only take a top 12 pick for him. No team would be willing to give that up for Tate
    KMJ - top 20 pick. I don't think a team would trade him for that, but he aligns with our strategy, is still growing, and is not going to cost us a bunch to keep. No reason to settle for a low pick for him
    Matthews: No need to look for trades for him, but I'd do a FRP if there's higher upside players
    Josh Christopher: It would take probably a top 10 pick for me to trade him, which I don't think any team would be willing to give up
    Garuba: I have no clue. Dude looks completely lost, but he is young and deserves a chance. Top 15 pick? no team would be willing to give that up and I don't know any prospects that late in the draft

20. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

The main takeaway from this thread is that a lot of people still think KJ is just a guy for some reason.

There isn't a team in the league that he wouldn't have a positive impact on today and he's only going to get better. Seems like a pretty safe bet to at least be a 15 and 7 guy with good weakside D and an above average three ball.

I feel like I never see him end a game with more FGA than points. And even at his age he's never the guy we're complaining about doing dumb stuff.

ThrillaNManilla and Aruba77 like this.