1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Doubt it, but even if they do that isn’t improving our chances to win it all this year, which we should be trying to do

The Mariners are about to be REALLY good, not to mention how good Toronto is gonna be. We should be going in a lot harder for this year. That just isn’t Clicks style. Many on here seem to like that, which is cool. I wish we were much more aggressive

Also, we could extend Tucker while also signing help in other areas had we decided to do so, we just didn’t. It’s not like Tucker would get a 20 million per year raise in an extension at this point of his career

raining threes likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

One can criticize Crane for not being more proactive with one of Springer, or Correa and lock them up early like they did with Bregman. Not matching a short deal with Correa is baffling. They got worse and there is no conceivable way they will be better this year, or next without him.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's plenty of conceivable ways we can be better this year and next.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I had a lot of confidence in Luhnow. I'm still on the fence with Click. But anyone who lived through bankruptcy and Ford Motor Credit ownership knows we have it MUCH better than then.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It wasn't the amount or the length, it was the terms. Suck for $105 M or he walks for an extra dollar.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't believe that. We now have the flexibility to address needs with Great Players at the deadline if needed.

We could even have a superstar fall into our lap and not have to tap out because of cap space.

7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Saw a similar question posed on Twitter so I’ll post it here to see what you guys think:

Would you trade Jeremy Pena(+more) for Jose Ramirez? Ramirez is under club control for 3 more seasons. Obviously this would mean sliding Bregman to SS as Ramirez hasn’t played there much.

Possible lineup becomes:

Altuve
    Tucker
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Ramirez
    Brantley
    Yuli
    Chaz/Siri/Meyers
    Machete

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Absolutely but there’s no way Cleveland would do that. Ramirez is one of the 10 best players in the league. I can’t even really think of a package Houston could offer that Cleveland would consider.

CrushCity and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Looks good, but what would Cleveland want? Are they going for a tank season? I don't particularly like moving Bregman to SS with his Hamstring history, but the potential is there. Two years of Club control and a history of production at the plate and adequate defense. K rate <20%.

It looks like a great move if we could find something they wanted that we would give up.

10. Buck Turgidson

Well, you'd have to wait until the games are getting played

But who on the internet wants to do that?

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Cots indicates Options for 22 (which they exercised for $12M) and an option for 23. Still a good value.

Just make sure it's for Jose and not Harold.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Free agents? No. Player development to replace the production of Carlos? Maybe if Bregman returns after two years of under performing. It's the pitching I worry about.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Garcia, Valdez, and Javier are going to be good. Then add some JV on a limit, and whatever they can get from LMJ, and suddenly the pitching will actually be the most consistent part of this team.

The lineup doesn’t have much room to withstand bad lengthy injuries… but the hope is Altuve-Brantley-Tucker-Alvarez-Bregman are able to carry the team early while Pena gets acclimated (or makes his debut later because service time still can be altered, and then needs to adjust).

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Meyers and McCullers were healthy I would feel a lot better about this team.

The Beard, BMoney, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering Baker said Pena is the guy, it will be awkward to send him down unless he sucks the next 2 weeks

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Peña’s good enough with his defense too hit 8th in the lineup. He will earn some WAR with his glove. I think his bat is real and he may need some AB’s too get over the learning curve or not but it comes around. Took Springer & Bregman a month or two before they hit .200 but they put up good production later in the season.

17. The Beard

Who gives a **** if we are better than shitty?

18. The Beard

Lol

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s always awkward when they make up a reason for waiting 2-3 more weeks. Unfortunately the new CBA didn’t do enough to deter this practice.

raining threes likes this.
  20. raining threes

I've been saying this since last offseason.

I'm just not impressed.

Hopefully some guys in the minors can become upgrades next yr. Looking at Brown/Lee and Pena plays an above avg SS and hits in the .250/260 range. I still think that Click has really screwed up by not having a better vet alternative than Goodrum.

The Beard likes this.