1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Exactly. Why should the club guarantee against bad performance and injury without the guarantee of a commitment. I don't blame Correa for the clubs stupidity. But it's a thing now and it shouldn't be.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Correa sucks, I'm over it.

robbie380 and jayfree like this.
  3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a massive difference in Logistics and baseball. Anytime from here on out when it is said the Astros are in a bidding war with some other teams, Houston fans should just assume Crane and Click will f it up.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

It's gonna be a few years before we can conclude that Crane and Click effed up with Correa.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Fan Comment.
    Fans want EVERYONE at THEIR ASKING PRICE. It doesn't work like that. It's not THEIR money and they act like it.

7. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton Member

Let's face it, Correa shot himself in the foot by hiring Boras. Nobody (teams) wants to deal with Boras and his greed. Now Correa has banished himself to a dreadful place where he and his wife will be unhappy away from close friends and a fan base that luvs him all to be called the highest paid short stop. What a greedy ego maniac! Atleast he can now afford to buy a huge house to fit his inflated ego.

I hope Pena is the bomb! What a great opportunity for this young man! Let's GO!

Sorry guys, no homer comments here and I've been an Astros fan since the late 70's.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Correa deal still seems weird to me.

I could easily buy that the Astros just handled it poorly or went cheap, or whatever you want to hang on them. But the fact that all of these deep pocketed franchises, who were willing to guarantee him over 30 million for 7-10 years, suddenly balked at 35 million over 3 years..while the f**king Twins were, is hard to wrap my head around.

Absolutely no evidence to support this, but I think when all of the big spenders failed to come close to his demands he got pissed and went to a team off the board who hadn't pissed him off. I don't think this offer was on the table for the big spenders.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I just think it’s sad, if the reports are true, that we did not even offer a deal to that level. Maybe Click/Crane “don’t believe in” 35 million contracts, or whatever. But we could have greatly improved our chances to win another title without risking long term cash and didn’t do it. To me, that is disappointing. Altuve, Yuli, Brantley, Verlander aren’t getting any younger. Should b trying to win it all now at any cost other than causing long term financial harm

BMoney and awc713 like this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Correa was never going to accept anything less than a long term contract from the Astros. He's not staying in Minnesota by any means and feels the leverage he has by leaving the Astros (thus perhaps cleansing him of any team wrongdoing in years past) is the key.

There's a big chance that Correa felt like he was being blackballed by the owners for being an Astro during that time and wasn't getting that $300+ deal by multiple clubs (especially ones that are on the verge of winning a ring), so he chose to find a new team, change his stars and come back next year more prepared and hopefully stay healthy enough to put up good numbers again.

Correa checked out from being a long time Astros last year and I'm happy he's moved on to not drag more drama with this club.

This too shall pass.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Lol on Correa not getting 10 years because of the cheating scandal

Springer says Hi

Also, the one player who was helped by far the MOST by cheating just signed a deal with the YANKEES

The biggest thing that kept Correa from a 10 year deal is his back

Maybe backs do better in cold weather

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Springer got 6 not 10. And 2017 was the year in question before Cole came on board. But I do agree his back is not the best, but his playoff stats show he is a gamer. Also, no other team even looked his way with a contract (unless Correa said if you're not offering at least 9 then don't call). We never heard any legit team mentioning a 5 or 6 year deal just to feel it out. Perhaps the Correa camp didn't want to let that leak but it is interesting.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It is the 1 year opt outs. No team wants to deal with a player who wants more money are every season.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I guarantee the problem was for the options. not the price.

Just did a quick spreadsheet comparing where we are and where we would be if we signed all our FA. Both numbers are a little low because I substituted $700K for CC and Arb cases to be determined.

Just for 26 players - 13 Pitchers and 13 Position:

Current
    $163,982,143

Theoretically
    We still have Cole, Morton, Correa, Springer, Graveman and Garcia
    $289,382.143

I left out Greinke and his $13M contract. That would push it over $300,000,000.

#374 Marshall Bryant, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It would be different if Houston didn’t still have a good team, didn’t have a top prospect ready to replace him, and didn’t have a very competitive payroll.

Crane has spent money. A shitload of it. They’ve been in the top 5 in the league in payroll the last 2 years and they’ll likely be in the top 10 this season.

As long as Houston still legitimately competes for the World Series (I.e. projected among the top 4-5 teams in the AL) fans really have no reasonable complaint against the GM. And as long as they field a top notch payroll fans have no reasonable complaint against the owner.

jiggyfly and Marshall Bryant like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I felt that with the Verlander deal, a sense of urgency to optimize the next 3 years (or this year) was there. Then when some rumors (obviously leaked by Boras) that Correa may be more willing to take a 1 year deal came out… coinciding with the Astros possibly about to re-engage a new offer, it made further sense.

Of course they’re still going to be a good team (albeit with less overall depth to withstand injuries), and they’ll still have a competitive payroll based on Altuve, JV, Bregman, Yuli. It just seems that they’ll run out the clock on this regime (not optimistic for any team friendly extensions for Tucker/Alvarez), or Crane will eventually cash out soon enough once the franchise value has reached its peak.

Never expected a nearly 10 year run of competing. Not many leagues feature teams that can get close to that. But would have really been amped up for another 3 years of an Altuve-Bregman-Correa core.

everyday eddie and NIKEstrad like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what they can say with a straight face. They’ll be called out by Boras/Correa if they say they really thought they had a deal or had the best offer.

They also have to be careful based on what they hope to do with their current players as they start to consider possible early extensions or letting things play out.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I’m not blaming Crane on this one. That just isn’t that big of a delta. This was Correa CHOOSING to leave. Take out that 1% state income that is only 2-2.5 million more. Carlos wanted to leave. Why. Who knows. At this point who cares. Enjoy your back injuries Carlos.
    Go sign a stud starting pitcher Astros since our offense just took a real hit.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What reason would one have to feel that way?

Jesus, has the Correa deal moved you over to the doomsday preppers too. He was the heart and soul of the team and there is no future without him. Astros will soon be back to sucking.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carlos wanted a 1 year opt out so he could eventually get a longer/bigger deal. I wouldn’t have signed a 5 year deal with anybody if I was him (unless there was an early opt out).

The Astros aren’t going to sign a stud starting pitcher… they’re spending $25 million for one this year, spent $15 million/year for one last year that probably won’t pitch this year, And they have a bunch of young guys who need innings/work (Valdez, Garcia, Javier all in the rotation).

They have a lot of flexibility at the trade deadline and both Click/Crane are on record saying they’d rather be more active there than any free agents. However there are more teams in the mix this year with more playoff spots and trades usually much harder to execute with a certain measure of luck/timing involved.