1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I hear ya but playing like the #1 overall pick means different things in different years just because a guy busted at #2 does not mean these drafts are comparable, Nobody in this draft is comparable to Lebrons rookie year and I think Wade and Melo had pretty good rookie years as well.

Why are we basing anything on one game?

I am glad he had a great game but what does that mean?

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You won't be able to get that here. It'll be in the insider newsletter.

daywalker02 and javal_lon like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

It's been pretty consistent post ASB. Not just one game. Green has the highest offensive ceiling in this draft. He has looked like what we all hoped he'd look like. All 6 of the top rookies have played up to or outplayed their expectations. Suggs is probably the only one that hasn't quite put together a good stretch.

Now we need to find a weird combination of having Jalen look amazing while also losing a bunch so we can get one of the PFs in the draft.

highpost1388 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Subscription required.

steddinotayto likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree Jalen has the highest offensive ceiling and having the highest offensive ceiling does not really mean much in the grand scheme of things look at Lavine and Beal.

Anyway there is no need to be making any kind of declarations this early this is going to take years to figure out, I am not writing anybody off.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Curry, Lebron, Harden, and Durant represent the highest offensive ceiling and three of those guys have rings.

Attached Files:

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Not really one of Jalen's comps, but I was curious and looked up Dwyane Wade's rookie year stats. Wade started his rookie year at 22 years old and Green at 19 obviously. He was around 2 years and 4 months older than JG in his rookie year and very far ahead of where Jalen started in regards to playmaking so I never even bothered looking up his stats.

A few things really caught my eye. Would you be surprised if I told you that Jalen Green has a higher 2pfg% and efg% after shooting like crap for half the season?

2pfg% = .494 to .477 (Jalen Green)
    efg% = .487 to .475 (Jalen Green)
    TS% = Currently tied at .530

Wasn't really shocked by anything I saw in the rest of the stats, but in case you're wondering and don't want to look them up yourself.

Jalen Green
    31.2 min
    15.7 PPG
    3.2 RPG
    2.5 APG
    2.1 TOV
    0.7 STL

Dwyane Wade
    34.9 min
    16.2 PPG
    4.0 RPG
    4.5 APG
    3.2 TOV
    1.4 STL

red5rocket, BigMaloe, BigM and 6 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bradley Beal and Zach Lavine, hahahahaha…

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could not be further from the truth though if you compare Dwyane because Dwyane was never going to be a shooter (career 29.3% from deep)

Very different guy. Other than a very good dunker himself.

Dude won 1 ship relying on circus shots.

His game was predicated on crashing into his opponent and making some weirdly contested shots.

Another guy whose greatness was not about efficiency but the unique way he played.

#4929 daywalker02, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  10. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

The 4 is returning… Confirmed :cool:

vator and i3artow i3aller like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Ugh, I’m so tempted to order a 0 jersey…

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

This man right here...

Watches Harden choke for over 8 years, Harden is not a choker....

Watches Green have another great game, still too early to tell if he is any good....

Roc Paint likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Different league back then. If young Wade had the spacing that all NBA teams had now, it would be impossible to keep him out of the lane. When Wade came up, it was just harder to score.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

I don’t agree with that premise completely. Hand checking yes, but you could quite literally clear the whole side of the floor for an isolation back then and be at the mercy of the offensive player because of the illegal defense rules. Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley feasted on ISO’s in this same time frame. The biggest issue was teams were slowing down the pace of the games and I think all the iso basketball had something to do with that.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There isn't evidence of rookies being as bad as Jalen Green was becoming a good as he's been the past month in the same season.

Rookies improve, sure, but rookies as bad as Green was for the first half of the season don't improve as much as he did this quickly. ... it may have happened before, but it's ridiculously rare.

Typically they'll point to situations like Anthony Edwards who shot a lot more and improved his raw scoring numbers while still being inefficient or a player who wasn't as hopelessly lost as Green was for half the season getting better..... those things happen all the time but Green's case is potentially a first.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's just factually untrue. Anthony Edwards pre-all star break shot shot 47 TS%, post all-star he shot 57 TS%.

The time it took for you to type all this up, you could have already looked up Edwards' stats to verify if what you are saying is true.

SC1211 likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That isnt the same thing
    Losing to a greater team than yours is not choking.

Underdogs losing to the favorite is not choking.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are changing up stats, I cited eFG%..... ya know because I'm talking about scoring efficiency, you're talking TS%

His eFG% went from .434 to .530, which is an improvement but isn't all that great..... and he's back to .516 this year, kind of showing he's not an efficient scorer at all.

Jalen Green's numbers went from a pathetic .447 from October to February to .593 in the last month.... that's an insane improvement in such a small amount of time.

From completely lost on both sides of the ball to better than Anthony Edwards ever dreamed of being.... that just doesn't ever happen

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This simply isn't true. When Yao started he was god awful but by the end of the season was a complete turnaround.

The talent was always there. The quick step and he showed glimpses always. Many people called him a bad player (including you) and you never expected this kind of turnaround in him. That's ok. I don't think you deserve grief for it. Nor others. But there are a lot of people here who understandable feel you should eat your crow and take it. You were wrong. You called picking him with the number 2 pick a big mistake. Your energy towards him was really negative. So just own that man and say, hey I was wrong. I've been there. I wrong about Harden big time. It's understandable you felt the way you did. So I won't give you a hard time. The Rockets saw it. They didn't give up. It's just that you didn't see it. And that's why you are a fan and not working in basketball. No shame in that.

But....then there are some of us like yours truly who said just be patient. Never said it was a mistake. Just said it's too early to judge. Too early to judge. We called it baby. So yeah, suck it, ha!

SC1211 likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TS% is more of a scoring efficiency indicator than eFG%. eFG% doesn't take into account FT's, for example. If you want "shooting efficiency" or whatever you want to call it, maybe you go with eFG%. Most people nowadays are going to use TS%.