1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've been on here for 20 years now but still don't know if there's a way to see the # of posts each member has within a given thread. If there is, I'd be very interested to see the numbers on certain posters who were all too eager to write off Green to only go radio silent now.

red5rocket, BigMaloe, Amel and 5 others like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Imo putting someone on ignore for a difference of opinion is pretty pathetic, but I fully support it. If you aren't emotionally capable of seeing different opinions by all means take yourself out of the conversation for the good of the board.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just yesterday in Clutch’s “core” thread, guess who said this

I think it's amazing what a few decent games boosting his 3 point percentage all the way to 31% has done for the Green hype wagon.
    Oh, yeah, like all we’ve seen the past five weeks is improved 3pt shooting.
    That’s either complete lack of ability to scout NBA players, or it’s pure trolling, or both.

if you watched these last 15+ games and didn’t see his improved drives, defense and his midrange unfolding, you just plain suck at scouting. I used to think that poster was just enjoying trolling, but after his horrible rookie-Watson takes and now this, it’s simply he has a worthless eye for scouting.

I guess I should expect that from people who like both Football and Baseball more than basketball…they just can’t see the game very well.

Green’s improved tool set on drives to add more than fast, straight lines, by itself, is inexcusable for not being able to see. The hesi’s, in-outs, euro-step, protecting the ball better, left-hand finishes, more aggression jumping, dishes off collapsing D, to seeing his eyes in slow-mo and how he’s scanning defenses all the way to point of committing on a final move. (those eyes is what I look for to demonstrate slowing down the game.) Then on top of that, not seeing the midrange silk…just horrible scouting ability to sum up his recent progress by only mentioning improved 3s.

so sad

bballjunkie, BigMaloe, Reeko and 17 others like this.
  4. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Pretty wide gap between difference of opinion and "I'm going to be an ******* and talk down on our rookie constantly, making jokes about how he can't hit the rim on 3s and call anyone who isn't a pessimistic hater a white knight or cult member."

I kept up with this thread in particular the entire year just to see if others were seeing the same promising flashes from Jalen that I was, and now this revisionist stuff is just too funny.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

He's definitely figuring out what works for him lately(adding mid range shots has helped a ton). His ability to create space is pretty insane which makes me want to see it in person because I don't think watching on TV does it justice. He clearly has the tool set to be our #1 player, lets hope he keeps up his drive/hunger to be one of the best.

6. steddinotayto

I follow Green on Instagram and, after last night's game, he posted a picture of him and JC with a caption of "midrange ain't dead". It might have been a minor thing but, to me, it shows that he recognizes what one of his strengths are and will use it even if it goes against what "modern NBA offenses" looks like.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think modern NBA offenses go for scoring efficiently. There are not many players efficient from midrange.

8. Rockets4Life13

If you look at the best teams in theNBA, they all take some midrange shots. They just reserve them for the players that are good at it and limit it for the Danuel House's of the world

9. i3artow i3aller

Jalen Green haters had a much different energy not so long ago :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

BigMaloe, Reeko, TriumVirate and 3 others like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think guzzling a shot of your own nut is the price of admission now. (Just playin' - welcome to the cult. Cookies on the right, Capri Sun on the left)

[​IMG]

11. Rockets4Life13

We knew this was coming when the hate was at an all time high but it's coming earlier than expected

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Some of the loudest are suddenly MIA. All it takes is a "Glad I was wrong" just like I said it would and POOF none of the hateful stuff ever existed or Jalens die hard fans were just too "sensitive" :rolleyes:

Feels good to have patience rewarded.

13. steddinotayto

Agree on both responses. It's just--to me anyway--nice to see that a 19 year old is making a part of his game and not settling for jack ups in 3 point land. I mean, if we're to believe that offenses have shifted towards two zones in the past 5-7 years (e.g. 3 point shot and inside the paint), these kids have been taught/trained/conditioned since elementary school to only hunt for shots in those zones.

Green's midrange makes/attempts since the All-Star Break:

vs LAL: 4/6
    vs Mia: 1/1
    vs Mem: 1/2
    vs Den: 2/3
    vs Utah: 1/1
    vs LAC: 3/5

Small sample size of 18 field goal attempts but he made 11 of those shots for a tidy 61%. That's definitely not sustainable but definitely encouraging to see Green wanting to use the entire floor to get buckets.

TriumVirate and Easy like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I tried to warn them i3, be careful what they post, because Jalen may have them eating
    crow next season if not this one.

Some posted like 50 times a day / 7 days a week like they were getting paid for it.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Ladies and gentleman, the Rockets next head coach....

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do wonder if so many guys going for rim, free throws, and 3 pointers has made mid range easier as defenses gear towards challenging threes and at the rim.

BigMaloe, Easy, highpost1388 and 2 others like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Im being honest I fully expected Jalen to finish his rookie year on a plateau skill wise. What has happened is nothing short of magic. The ego maniacs and insecure guys who needed instant gratification and validation for their opinions are the ones who have turtled up. Never understood why "being right" was something a guy was willing to go to war with his own bros for. We have been spoiled as fans with a great franchise who is used to winning that we didnt know how to act when it was time to rebuild. Time heals all wounds so hopefully the fanbase can rally around Jalen and start to use the collective think tank on ways to improve the roster and get back to contending for championships.

18. steddinotayto

That's a good point and I think that has a lot to do with how successful the Bulls are right now, specifically DeRozan. Defenses are gearing up to man the paint and defend the 3 every night but when you have a scorer who's efficient at the midrange like DeRozan...not a lot of defenses nowadays can stop that.

Looking up DeRozan's numbers, he's shooting an obscene 53% between 10-16ft from the basket and the volume is there too with about 1/3 of his attempts coming from that range every night. Even Chris Paul has shifted back to becoming the MidRange God. A third of his field goals this year are coming in that 10-16ft range and he was shooting 57% from that area.

19. xaos

xaos Member

Yup, it really doesn't. It's really impressive watching him on fast breaks

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I agree about the mid-range. I remember it made Harden so deadly because guys couldn't simply chase him down at the rim. People know Jalen/Gup are explosive athletes. If they turn down a 3, it's a rush between them and the defense to get to the spot first at the rim. Having even a decent mid-range shot opens up a few options.

1. A simple change of pace hesi on the attack can really stagger people who are worried about him pulling back.
    2. Stopping for a middy can catch defenses over-rotating and open up gaps for other players after the ball is swung.
    3. It gives Jalen a go-to move when he's not getting calls at the rim and the 3s aren't falling.

Boii likes this.