1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Golden State Warriors so good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Nov 13, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you focusing solely on offense? He's their defensive anchor. What other forward can you replace him with? Iguodala can only guard Lebron cuz he has Draymond to help him. He's a phenomenal team defender and it's not a fluke he has 2 DPOY awards. Not to mention he gets rebounds and can push it up the court. They don't even come close to winning that title without Draymond. Just look at the one game he got suspended the next season. The Cavs blew the Warriors out that game 5. It's not a fluke. Even this year they are only 13-12 without him.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I originally responded to your comment about his playmaking.

No other forward can replace Draymond defensively, but there are plenty that could compensate by improving the Warriors' offense.

Also, he has 1 DPOY award.

Draymond Green averages between 6-7 defensive rebounds per game. Is that really something to crow about?

Who cares about that 2016 game 5? It's entirely irrelevant to the 2015 title due to Irving/Love injuries. I don't see how a 2015 Warriors sans Draymond loses to a depleted Cavs team.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The warriors lost to the worst Lakers team
    I've ever seen and Lebron dropped 56 points and he's like almost 40 now cuz Draymond is out. You don't think a young Lebron woulda wrecked that team? He plowed through a much better defensive team in the pistons and Celtics teams in previous years. If they can't stop Lebron they aren't winning.

It's not just about rebounds. His deflections, steals, blocks all help the warriors get out in transition were they are lethal.

And the original quote you highlighted wasn't just about playmaking. It was about everything Draymond does that the rest of them won't do.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Iggy guarded Lebron that series, remember?

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

you think iggy can guard Lebron straight up without green helping in the paint? No one can guard Lebron. That's a fact. It takes a whole team to do it.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I think Iggy could do well enough against Lebron that the Warriors would've won without Draymond.

I think you're forgetting that Irving and Love were injured.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Im not. I think Lebron is the goat. He can beat that Warriors team without Draymond by himself. Without Draymond the warriors world be more iso heavy. You can't win an iso game against Lebron.

Warriors killed teams with their death lineup. If Draymond is out and bogut has to play. Lebron would call for a screen and attack bogut all game. No chance he can be stopped by a slow 7 foot Australian.

#367 RHU525, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're forgetting that Iggy was a fine passer. You're also forgetting that Lebron routinely got stomped when he was surrounded by role players in Cleveland....which would be the case after Irving/Love got injured. You're also forgetting that Iggy was Lebron's primary defender that series. Why don't you look at Lebron's shooting percentages?

Again, it'd be Lebron and role players. Regardless of Lebron's individual greatness, it's a team game, and he's never won a title surrounded by role players.

Also, don't forget that the 2014 Warriors won 51 games with Draymond coming off the bench playing 22 mpg. In other words, they were still a formidable team with Draymond off the court.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cuz he went up in the finals against ridiculous competition. Tim Duncan is a top 5 player all time. And that Spurs team is one of the greatest defensive teams ever. The teams that usually beat him are exceptional on defense. The warriors wouldn't have that. With KD, Lebron has no chance. I just don't think Curry or Klay are that good. Greatest shooters ever. But not the best all around players.

Lebron can easily shut curry down. Like he did Rose and ever other guard he's ever played.

he's usually losing to teams with 3 or 4 all stars in the finals by himself. He can easy beat just 2 all stars.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Are you forgetting about 2009? Lebron's Cavs were beaten by an Orlando Magic team featuring Dwight, Rashard Lewis, and Hedo Turkoglu.

The problem with your logic is that we already know how Lebron fared against Iggy. He shot 40% from the field, 31% from the 3pt line, and 69% from the ft line. As the only offensive threat on the team, that's not good enough

Do you remember how he shut down Rose? He gave him plenty of space and dared him to shoot. Same thing with Rondo. Do you really think that same strategy would work against the greatest shooter of all-time?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No he would play up on curry cuz curry doesn't have the speed or athleticism to get by him like rose. Once again iggy had soo much help. You act like he was on an island.

yes he lost to the magic, but Dwight Howard was a beast and dpoy back then. Who would protect the paint for the warriors without Draymond?

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You don't think Curry has the quickness to get around Lebron if Lebron is guarding him closely? Seriously? Also, if it becomes a problem, they'd set a screen to force a switch.

I feel like you're being really shortsighted here. Again, Lebron was surrounded by role players....role players who couldn't create their own shot and shot poorly from the 3pt line. When Draymond Green came off the bench in the previous year, that Warriors team was still a 50 win team. A western conference 50 win team isn't going to lose to prime Lebron if he's surrounded by poor shooting role players.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Currys never been a good driver. His body also won't hold up if you make him drive. Always injured. Fragile.. Derek Rose's athleticism is unmatched for PG in the nba.

I feel like you are being shortsighted. Curry is vastly overrated in every other aspect of basketball except shooting. Lebron shut him down in the finals already. Do you not remember this? This would just be on repeat. Sure he can get around Lebron but he wouldn't be able to get the shot off without being blocked by the greatest chase down shot blocker in history of the league.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I understand the problem. You're unfamiliar with Curry's game. FYI, he's the GOAT shooter and an elite finisher around the rim.

He also didn't get injured during the series so it's pretty stupid to project injury.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All I'm saying is that warriors team was a team. It was a sum of all their parts. No chance they win without Draymond. Heck they probably don't even make the finals without Draymond.

but they also wont win without curry. And wont win without iggy. Wont win without Klay etc. They were a great team.

Not projecting, when you make curry drive over an over again he's always injured. It's a fact. He didn't get hurt that year cuz he didn't have to drive nearly as much. I don't think he can carry a offense by himself because of his slight frame. He won't hold up for 82 games.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Again, the Warriors were a 50 win team with Draymond coming off the bench. Do you understand this?

Lebron and role players isn't going to beat a 50 win western conference team.

How is that a fact? You really overestimate how fragile Curry is. What major injuries has Curry had since his ankle issues? A broken hand when a 300 lb center fell on him. Anyone would get injured in that scenario.

What really annoying about your argument is that Curry has already proven you wrong yet you cling to your falsehoods.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This is just why we disagree. I could care less about Curry the Warriors or anything. I'm not taking a shot at Curry. He's a great player, but he just doesn't compare to Lebron. I think Lebron can beat a 50 win team with role players. He is just that good. Best player I've ever seen. I've seen him do it against the Pistons who had just won a championship and that team had much better defense than the warriors minus Draymond. He's beaten plenty of great teams by himself and you just want to point out how he lost to the magic in the one season he didn't make the finals out of 12.......

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I understand that you're not taking a shot at Curry, but it seems like you're unfamiliar with his game which has led you to illogical conclusions.

Lebron beat the Pistons, but that wasn't the championship Pistons. That 2007 Pistons team didn't have Ben Wallace. Instead, they had a hobbled 33 year old Chris Webber

Here's what's wrong with your logic. Not all role players are created equal. There's a HUGE difference between role players like Ilgauska/Hughes/Gooden and role players like Dellavadova/Shumpert/Mozgov. Ilgauskas was a 2-time all-star. Hughes averaged over 20 ppg twice in his career. Gooden was a perennial 11 pt/8 rebound guy.

Lebron was the greatest player on the court, but it's a team game. The Warriors, even without Draymond Green, were the better team (given the injuries to Love/Irving). Lebron simply didn't have enough help.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to interrupt #historyargument, but the Warriors are in serious trouble.

Clay simply cannot stay in front of people anymore, and Draymond will be risking retweaking his back every time he jumps.

They just won't be able to defend well enough to have a playoff run.

Sanctity, BigM and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

GSW seems to be catching fire at the right time. Beat the Nuggets, beat the Bucks.