1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't need to believe him. The regiment is in fact part of the Ukrainian National Guard as of 2014

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/02/what-is-ukraines-azov-battalion/

Whatever our political differences are, and I have many with @Bandwagoner, the facts are still the facts and we can not deny them even when they paint an ugly picture and work against the objectives we want.

2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Precursor to another Russian invasion

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The article you linked says it's banned from Facebook. What did I like about?

https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/02/what-is-ukraines-azov-battalion/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Putin literally hired Neo Nazis to assasinate Ukraine's jewish president

if you read or listen to black athletes talk about living in Russia they basically state it's not safe to even walk outside without bodyguards. Some years ago Russian Neo Nazi gangs were posting videos on Youtube where they randomly attacked minorities mostly asians. Those type of attacks were said to be widespread.

Ubiquitin and cheke64 like this.
  5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Sweet Lou 4 2 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You based that on reading a buzzfeed article saying they were banned from Facebook. Brilliant.

8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

No they were against the current government and led protests against them. It had nothing to do with Facebook banning. But yes I was wrong. I didn’t think they were still in the national guard. I thought their members were pulled from action.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The 900 members of that militia group should be disbanded. It brings down the rest of the millions of Ukrainians fighting for their freedom. I think all of us can agree on that. That is still not a justification for Putin’s invasion of Ukraine

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

In peaceful times yes. But there is no way you can expect the gov't to disband a group that is fighting against invaders. Neo Nazis are despicable and dangerous. But if another person is about to kill you and your family, you don't care who saves you and your families life at the end of the day. They made the pact with the devil.

Their mistake was getting rid of their nukes in the first place.

AleksandarN likes this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

With the recognition that:
    1. Neither we or the Europeans are going to be willing to go to war over this,
    2. The Russians are already engaged militarily and will fight back against any or all of us if further provoked,
    3. Our economic engagement is going to be hugely restrained, in large part because of European dependence on Russian oil, gas, food, fertilizer, and a variety of other items,
    4. Russia capitulating on its demands that NATO membership in the EU is not a realistic option, and this is not going to end until the west agrees to that.
    What do you guys think a viable, realistic way out of this mess looks like? Or do you want to just commit to this as the new normal for many years to come?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sounds like you have become a Joe Biden fan.

AleksandarN likes this.
  13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Putin is scared. Young people in Russia know what’s going on. I don’t see Putin lasting 5 years

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I hear all of you and still just does not make any freaking sense... I still feel like there is something else.

Also I agree, the sanctions don't hurt Putin... They hurt the people...

You want to hurt Putin... Hurt his rick fans, go after their money and then let them go after Putin...

T_Man

Kim likes this.
  16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I agree with you that the narrative being promoted makes no sense. It definitely doesn't, which has been a recurring theme of these mob-style, media led collective frenzies in recent years.

So, with that in mind, should our goal really be to "hurt Putin"? Or perhaps should we be focused on more constructive goals?

17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Hopefully no one was in those buildings

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well we know this one sucks, and we are at a place in history where you either do the right thing or let people be slaughtered by a meglomaniac.

And we have a major military advantage - this is like Neville Chamberlin hoping that Hitler will be contained, Putin will not be.....

At some point you either take him out with an international hit squad or you take out his armies while they are on the battlefield and weaken him from ever doing it again.

DD

Xopher likes this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Doesn't this just help Putin better control the narrative? I would rather Russians have access to info outside of the Russian controlled media.

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yes but young people know why they are banned.