1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 2: Welcome to The Jalen Green Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 27, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does play B2B well though, the fountain of youth.

Easy and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There was no doubt he was one of the worst in the first 15 games, hell, the whole Rockets were the worst team in history around that time. Thank you, Silas.

It makes a good comeback story for him after all.

We would not be here without history.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'll take either of these lineups

Scoot Henderson or Keyonte George
    Green
    Jabari
    Sengun
    random guy (maybe a free agent like Ayton)

or

KPJ (maybe a free agent like D'Angelo Russel)
    Green
    Jabari
    Sengun
    Victor Wembamyama

Fulgore likes this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

ROY is low key a cursed reward, if we go back 10 years starting from Ben Simmons, a few of them end up flaming out entirely, but a lot of them actually don't end up being the best or even second best player in the draft class.

daywalker02 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I saw a stat somewhere on this site that showed a dang good percentage of MVP's were ROY's. Sure MCW and Tyreke sucked, Brogdon isn't an all star but after all that's all it is, a single season award. If we go back to the Jalen predictions thread I thought for sure he'd have ROY on lock with his charisma and social media presence, I think there's still a chance especially if he continues this stretch

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's mostly because the MVP winners are dominated by the top 3 picks (over 55% of MVP winners are from the top 3 pick positions), and generally ROYs are won by those in the top 3 pick as well.

However, if we take a sample, say between Derrick Rose and Ben Simmons, the best players in those drafts, or at least the players that end up having the best careers, aren't usually the ROY winners (with the exception of Towns). Just as a few examples, Blake Griffin (dwarfed by Harden/Curry), Andrew Wiggins (Embiid, Randle, Lavine and Jokic), Rose (Westbrook, Love) etc. Even those that are still having strong careers are not necessary the best players in their class as of now, like Lillard (Anthony Davis has more overall accolades and success) and Irving (Leonard also has more accolades, despite far less availability).

8. 18pbr

18pbr Member

He starting to use his athleticism to his advantage on defense. His defense has improved significantly since October.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You cannot really nitpick with MVPs but I do think Russell WB was a lesser MVP.

I also was not really impressed with Derrick Rose and Nowitzki, they were clearly great but they just do not look that good next to Hakeem, Shaq, Magic, Jordan etc.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

That was one of Jalen’s best games all season after two pretty awful games vs the Clippers. However for the last 12 games now starting in February we can say that he has shown real improvement, possibly turning the corner from his dreadful January and really just stinker of his first 35 games. 12 out of 47 games is a quarter of the way so it’s starting to become a trend. In the last 12 games his numbers are:

17.7 points
    2.6 rebounds
    2.7 assists
    1.3 steals
    0.4 blocks
    46.4 fg%
    37.6 3pt% on 7.1 3pt attempts

The efficiency is impressive, especially the high volume of 3s. And his steals rate has doubled from his season average.

Now before we start sucking each other’s dicks just yet to be clear while these numbers are a significant improvement from his putrid start and majority of the season, he is still losing his man multiple times per game on defense, he’s still making incorrect reads for passes and snaking around pick and rolls just to go nowhere and waste clock. Before we start comparing his ppg to Mobley’s let’s remember Mobley is a first team all defense candidate every time he steps foot on the court whether he’s scoring 20 or 12. Before we start filling my kumbucket let’s remember these numbers are still no where close to post allstar rookie Edwards numbers.

But let’s also remember that Jalen doesn’t have to be better than Mobley or Edwards to not be a disaster of a pick. And that’s what I’m rooting for, we may have made a mistake, but some of that can still be salvaged if Jalen can keep improving and get as close to his ceiling as possible. He can still be a Zach Lavine, and his recent trend is a hopeful development. My feelings towards watching his next game has gone from dread to curious what he does next. Keep it up, Jalen.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s definitely getting more comfortable as a scorer…u love to see it

shots that were getting blocked early in the season are slowly becoming finishes and even and-1’s

18pbr and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watch CXbby's goofball ass walk back his statements for the next decade. Absolutely delicious... :D

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I said Jalen’s upside was Zach Lavine and Mobley’s upside was Duncan/Kg on draft night, that’s why I wanted Mobley. I had to walk back that statement on Jalen all season because how piss poor he’s looked, only now (and only if this lasts) has he started living up to my original, low expectations.

14. conquistador#11

The Rockets gonna allow a player to go mid range? times done change.

2> a bricked 35 footer.
    Was Scola and his 20pts a night the last midranger we had? CP3 took a couple a game but clearly less than his previous stops.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You embarrassed yourself then, and you’re embarrassing yourself now.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  16. Houston77

Supporting Member

For reference on CX’s weird Zach LaVine fixation, LaVine averaged 14 PPG in his SECOND season (10 in his first). Green is now averaging 15, and his trending up.

BigMaloe, TriumVirate, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Comparing Jalen to Lavine has embarrassing? Lemme guess, he should be compared to MJ instead? I swear his onlyfans are some of the dumbest people on earth, which is why watching him struggle so far hasn’t been as painful as it could have been, at least I could laugh at people like you.

18. Rockets4Life13

Facts aren't something he's concerned with. I suppose he's either trolling pretty well or pretty stupid. Either of those justify putting him on ignore. Seriously, for some weeks i didn't want to visit CF because it was just miserable but the ignore button is a blessing and made CF enjoyable again

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

No, you didn’t compare. You declared a ceiling, laughed at people who set a higher ceiling, yet said another player — who is now playing quite poorly — has a ceiling of a Top 15 all time player.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

For reference, per 36

Jalen Green
    17.5 points
    3.7 rebounds
    2.7 assists
    10.3 PER

Zach Lavine rookie year
    14.7 points
    4.1 rebounds
    5.2 assists
    11.3 PER

Both with atrocious advanced numbers and defense. Jalen plays more minutes and shoots more, Lavine was played at pg and passed more(double the assist rate) otherwise fairly similar numbers and that’s only due to the recent uptick in Jalen’s numbers.