1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s talk about Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Mar 1, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He is ..My current favorite rocket , and I think , most underrated rocket .. He is ...

JAE’ SEAN TATE

dude Is a straight up baller . Most gangsta ass motha****a on the team ... in my option the guy we should be building around ... at least from a culture standpoint.

where is his ultimate fit on the floor ?

he’s not quite PJ Tucker size . I don’t like him going as an undersized “4” every night .. right now he’s usually guarding the biggest player on the other team , because of wood .

he shown good perimeter defense as well , but he’s in his second year of development and I’m worried he will lose out on experience vs guards .

what can we do with him ? Do tweeners exist anymore ?

on offense , I think he just needs experience and hopefully ... a better shot .

He does a good job of cutting , setting screens , making passes , creating for himself a bit ... if he can just get that shot consistent you are talking about a top 50 guy .

and this is his second year , yes he’s old .. but so what ?

Green and kpj need to figure out their games and niche more too . But those 3 , along with Christopher are a nice young group .

I like sengun a lot too . If you can pick up a couple bigger pieces in the draft , that’s a team you go to war with and see what happens . No tanking . Play good lineups . And then look to actually use 40 million of your cap space on guys you want to play

my comparison for Tate ... Chauncey Billups

give this man a team he can win with . We’d be at 5-7 wins without him and he’s helped keep us in many games as well with his tenacity , communication , and making winning plays .

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t disrespect Chauncey Billups like that

Tate is not a whole 8-10 win difference on any team

Tate is cool, but this thread is ridiculous with the overhype

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Like Charles Oakley said of Giannis recently, "He would be a
    bench player back in my day."

But yeah, I can play him the 3 if he can shoot 35% from 3 on high
    volume amount of 3's like 7 or 8 a game.

Period

P.S. not open for debate; I ended with "Period"

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Man this team is bad. I'll be glad when our next superstar is clear. Tate is a spark plug type on a contender. Nice player but nothing to build around.

red5rocket, aaquaa and Reeko like this.
  5. AXG

AXG Member

Tate and Billups' games have nothing in common.

Arnel, red5rocket, DeBeards and 7 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would be a great backup SG/SF - maybe even a starting SF if we have the right pieces around him but his lack of 3pt shot needs to be fixed.

DD

7. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

What about Tate game is similar to Billups? Lmao

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

agree except he doesnt need the 3pt shot ...yanis doesnt have one and hes the best player in nba

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

defensive point of attack capability
    Team leader
    Clutch
    Late bloomer

his actual game is closer to Kawhi or draymond green .

but he is closer in size to Chauncey ... at least I think .

I can see Tate , even though unselfish , want to be involved . I think he likes distributing .

if we get him some shooters I can see him being an 18/7/7 guy with plus defense . But , that’s only if he can improve his shot .

aaquaa, gfab-babyboi and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what is the obsession with the shooting?
    many great players were and will be without being great shooters...
    shooting is only a fad just like postup game was once...

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Future Rockets Legend!

DeBeards likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Tate is a decent role player off the bench. He is a black hole with the ball, is a poor 3 pt shooter, and is too short to guard PF or Centers and too foul prone to guard wings. Everybody likes a guy who tries hard, but comparing him to Billups is insane. He is a bench player. If we are building around Tate, we are in for a decade of last place finishes.

aaquaa and roxallways like this.
  13. conquistador#11

I enjoy watching his spin moves within spin moves

aaquaa likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I like Tate's story and his tenacity but jaesean is a rotation player in the NBA. And he's an average 3 pt shot away from being a solid rotational piece. Respectfully.

red5rocket, s3ts and payaso like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he could get minutes on any team in the league. give him a 5 year deal on the cheap now incase he ever fixes he 3pt shot.

s3ts and Stephen_A like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Tate would have been the perfect complementary player on the 17/18 Rockets team.

Corrosion, Stephen_A and payaso like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Im of the view that he's a legit 3 point shot away from being a starter on basically every NBA team getting 25+ mpg.

3 point % is tricky one though. He's shooting just under 30% form 3, but if he had made just 10 more threes this year, he'd be shooting 36% from three.

So he needs to not only get his % up, but get it up with volume.

But this isn't just a Tate thing. Tate, Green, Alpi, KMJ, Jaygup.... and its not like they were a great 3 point shooting team most of the past years either...

maybe they should invest in better shooting coaches.

Corrosion and Stephen_A like this.
  18. Xopher

Xopher Member

On any decent team, Tate would be a 6th man at best. Yeah he could get minutes on another team. Right now he would not be a starter on a team with a chance to compete. Yeah I am sure you could find the 1 or 2 teams that would start him. So I am not getting into that.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like Tate because he's unique, tough and passionate, but let's not over value him. He's a solid role player (7-8) on a good team. Can he be more? He'll have to work on his shot (a lot), mid-range game, handles, passing, etc.

Tate's positives...
    - Passionate and instinctive baller, who leaves it all on the court
    - Variety of post moves and unique low post game for player his size
    - Tenacious defender, who consistently takes on opposing team's toughest or biggest player
    - NBA strong with a solid foundation which helps with defending and blocking out down low
    - Decent handles and can push the break

Tate's weaknesses...
    - Below average shooter--no mid-range game and inconsistent 3pt shooter
    - PF frame in SG height body--if he was a more natural shooter this wouldn't be an issue, but with his post game he's like a mini 4/5 which likely limits his ceiling
    - Can be a bit wild at times and needs to slow down
    - Vision and passing ability are inconsistent

Might have missed a few on both +/- but in general he's a great guy to come off the bench to add energy and pace to the game. He's a starter for us because we don't have a traditional 4, that could all change if we get one of the big 3 in the draft and Tate can create a nice niche role for us or someone else.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

If we are serious about competing him & kj need to come off the bench

they are just too undersized to be starting on a team actually pushing to win. Hopefully we snag a real power forward in the draft

We also need to start clearing spots for younger guys. I think we’ll high on Tate and throw him in as a sweetener to get rid of wall this off-season