1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sell or Sign

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Feb 26, 2022.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Only thing I would do different is not sell garuba bc he hasn't gotten a fair shake yet. He is a 2 to 3 year project for me

aaquaa and vince like this.
  2. futilman

futilman Member

How tf are people already selling Garuba? He's 19 and hasn't played yet...

He needs a season where he takes all of Wood's minutes

JayGoogle, gmoney411, aaquaa and 4 others like this.
  3. abaker28

abaker28 Member

From what I've seen of Garuba (granted it's not much), he has great physical attributes, but he just doesn't have the fundamental skills or a shot.
    We've got enough young talent (add to it 1 or 2 more from the next draft), I'd rather get a good vet (like The Mayor) than a project player.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are you specifically signing Aholes.....

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’d be willing to trade most of the guys on our roster for a legit building block. But I do like the long term potential of some of our players and love how much young talent we have signed long term on the cheap. Also flagging that even though Mathews isn’t untouchable, he’s one of the best 3&D role players in the nba at 25 on a great contract so no reason to get rid of him.

1. Porter Jr - has made the most strides this year and still has big upside, still a maturity risk, not a good fit next to Green, has improved his trade value and is due to get paid after next season. SELL

2. Jalen Green - has been most disappointing rocket not named Wood, but has huge upside and we have too much invested to walk away after one year - he’s on a rookie contract. TBD

3. Wood - most disappointing rocket. Not a good fit. Now effectively on a 1-yr deal, must be dealt this offseason. SELL

4. Tate - favorite rocket; hardest working man in show biz. Has continued to improve his game; one of the best role players in the nba. He’s a tweener who can’t shoot. He’s the heart of our team but I’d only resign him to role player money. SIGN only on a team-friendly deal.

5. Sengun - possibly our best prospect. Continues to demonstrate his upside every time he’s on the court. On a rookie deal, he’s the closest thing we have to a foundational piece. SIGN

6. Martin - has shown improvement, but needs to get better as a shooter. He’s locked in for 3 more years. TBD

7.Christopher - has as much upside as anyone on the Rockets, but at a crowded position. We will ultimately have to chose between Christopher and KPJ; not enough minutes to develop both along with Green and minutes for a point guard. On a rookie deal he’s locked in. SIGN

8. Garuba - we haven’t seen him play and he’s at a position of need bringing badly needed defensive skills. On a rookie deal. TBD.

6. fattz

fattz Member

With the information we see, I understand your point of view. I am responding because you put the coaching and front office into the fold. I believe selling some off some of the players is very short cited. It’s like sell off new cars when someone that doesn’t know how to drive a stick shift is the only one that has driven them. Let’s change one or two coaches before the masses. Players will only develop with proper levels direction. I don’t think ALL of the coaching is bad either. Will Weaver is not a bad choice as the new lead as the team starts to develop.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So sign Sengun and Tate are the only players you would sign...hmmm

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sell Wood

Sign everyone else

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Here is how I see it. I'm adding comps of current players but please note I'm comparing style of play as much as results/impact.

1. Porter Jr - Sign: Dejounte Murray
    2. Jalen Green - Sign: Zach Lavine
    3. Wood - Sell
    4. Tate - Sign: PJ Tucker
    5. Sengun - Sign: Domantas Sabonis
    6. Martin - Sign: poor man's Igoudala
    7.Christopher - Sign: Jrue Holiday
    8. Garuba - Sign: Robert Williams

Of all of these guys I'm only comfortable with Porter, Green and Sengun as starters. The rest are all depth pieces in my mind.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. Mattician

Mattician Member

1. Porter Jr - Sell
    2. Jalen Green - Sign
    3. Wood - Sell
    4. Tate - Sign
    5. Sengun - Sign
    6. Martin - Sign
    7. Christopher - Sign
    8. Garuba - Sign

Tate is 26, but the Rockets already know the kind of player he is on both sides of the court. And he could still improve offensively.
    Garuba is only 19 and we haven't seen enough of his potential yet.
    Sengun is only 19 and is a player to build around.
    Green and Christopher are only 20 and are improving.
    Martin Jr. Is only 21 and could use some more minutes.

#30 Mattician, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    aaquaa and No Worries like this.
  11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Bargin Bin Rookies? lol

Just face it this team turned to crap, bad ownership. They wont make a splash either. Who is going to want to come to Houston now?

I moved on and am Watching stros.

aaquaa likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

1. Porter Jr - sell... dude is talented but damaged... give me any positive return and id sell...
    2. Jalen Green - i guess sign... im not willing to sell low but not really looking to extend at this juncture...
    3. Wood - sell... dude is selfish... i wouldnt tie up what it would cost to resign...
    4. Tate - sell... i like him and he's a good investment at his cost - but i dont see him as ever being a rotational player on a championship team... so if someones gonna give me something for him... sure...
    5. Sengun - sign... i'd extend.
    6. Martin - sell... same as Tate... i like him and he's a good investment at his cost - but i dont see him as ever being a rotational player on a championship team... so if someones gonna give me something for him... sure...
    7.Christopher - sign... i'd extend at a reasonable price...
    8. Garuba Can - sell... i got no problem giving him more time... but i wouldnt be looking to give him an extension at this point...

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

It's hard for me to believe that so many are prepared to sell on a 21 year old player getting baptized by fire at point guard in the NBA who has put up 14/4/6 while shooting 40% from 3 since Silas put away the double big lineup. 3 months is not a small sample size. KPJ and Green may not be a natural fit but talent is talent and both of these kids have it.

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I guess one more draft and few tweaks here and there. Segun,Jalen should be your rebuilding blocks. Porter, Wood could be a trade package that gets you a player that moves the needle a bit. If the rocket were to Draft Say talented Center in this draft, and then take what package you can get this summer for expiring contract Wall gets you, they could be in a really good position. Its ok to wait on the team. Losing is tough but you have to remember both those 2 players are just 19 and are already sensational.

There nothing bad about Porter expect his maturity, but if you want to wait on it more it might take longer than norm, and are the rockets willing to put him with Green. Green game probably is suffering because of him. Its up to what the rockets organization is willing to wait for.

But i think you wait on Green, and Segun as your future stars. Good things will be ahead for this team don't get me wrong. Its tough to wait on a young team, and keep a good attitude thorough out the process. Yet if you want to be a good fan, you route for your team even thru the process of losing and hoping they get better. Its hard sport when you rebuild your organization. I remember the days where the stros were terrible and there was a lot of bad karma on the field until those draftees started to get good. Springer, Correa!. You can only hope for the best with what Stone plan with rebuilding. Keep head up.

15. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

None of this matters until we find a real coach.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. sydmill

sydmill Member

We agree on a lot. I think Sengun and Jalen Green are going to be building blocks. I think think Wood should be part of a package to net us another foundational player. Where we (and I with many other posters apparently) differ is on Porter. Not knowing the off the court stuff I can only really focus on what he brings on the court. I have been very impressed with Porter since the double big lineup was (mercifully) taken out back several months ago. As I mentioned before, 14/4/6 while shooting 40% on good volume from 3 is above average production from a starting point guard in the NBA. And Porter is doing this in his first season at the position. At 21 years old. On one of the worst shooting, most dysfunctional teams in the NBA. I am not saying to max the guy out given his off the court stuff, I am just saying that there is a lot work with there for a team that doesnt have much to work with otherwise. And trying to run him off is essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or a real owner.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be the voice of reason here.

1. Porter Jr - Sign - Right now he's the best bet on a franchise caliber player currently on the team. He still has a long way to go, and can likely be had long term for relatively cheap. It's a no-brainer.

2. Jalen Green - Too soon to tell. He's been absolutely terrible overall and IMO he has limited upside, but there's no reason to make a final judgment on him so soon. Just keep him around a few more years and see if he improves to where he belongs on an NBA court more often.

3. Wood - Sell.....he should have ALREADY been sold, the GM should be fired right now simply because Wood is still on the team. They can't dump him fast enough

4. Tate - Sell - I'm just not a fan of his game at all. If anyone offers anything worthwhile for him, take it. I don't want anything to do with him signing a long term deal here.

5. Sengun - Sign - Obviously Sengun is our second most promising young player. He has a long way to go, but he's got amazing upside if he ever realizes it.

6. Martin - Sign - He's not a future star, but he's a solid bench piece, I'd like to keep him around at a reasonable rate.

7.Christopher - Too soon to tell. I don't see him as a future starter, but he could develop into a serviceable bench player. If he earns that next contract over the next few years, give it to him.

8. Garuba - Too soon to tell, but it's not looking good. He's going to be a Viper more than a Rocket over the next few years. He'll probably never be an NBA player, but there's no reason to dump him yet.

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agree on everything you said, specifically on the sign and sell. Voice of reason confirmed. The only thing I'd argue is that Porter bein the best bet on a franchise caliber player but I do think Porter can be potentially very good.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I say "best bet", but that has more to do with the rest of the team than anything. I don't truly believe there is a franchise caliber player currently on the team despite how high I am on Sengun.

That's why I'm all in on the tank. The team needs more top tier talent.

I think the most likely scenario is that KPJ develops into a solid starter who is a borderline all star. If Green develops into a solid starter quality player and Sengun develops into a borderline all star, that's a VERY good core for the team moving forward. Add one more top tier talent to that bunch and maybe the Rockets have something in a few years.

steddinotayto likes this.