1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Looking at you too, Ireland. @MadMax

Nook likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

BP removes ~20% stake in Russian oil firm. Two BP members resign from that board.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60548382

Y'all in the energy sector probably know if this really means anything to Russia. Probably not that much (?)

Is it really possible Putin didn't see this world reaction coming? I feel like I'm really missing something. (maybe it's all the brainwashing -- mostly but not completely kidding.)

Lar, jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Trump Was Right About Germany and NATO. Their Latest Move Proves It.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced Sunday he will dedicate at least two percent of the country's GDP to defense, fully satisfying membership requirements for the NATO alliance. For years Germany has been paying well below the requirement and committed amount to deter Russian aggression.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Nah, they're kinda crappy people too. (not ALL, but...)

and no, "hate" is never the right word to use.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting. That would explain a lot actually. Thanks for sharing, and here's hoping that husband is right. (Or we say that would be a good thing. God only knows.)

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't know if I would have mentioned the airports being packed with weapons

7. i3artow i3aller

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It was a dividend paying ownership stake that BP had after it sold TNK-BP to Rosneft in 2013. Basically BP is giving up $600million in cash per year to get out of Rosneft with no benefit to their shares. It'll all just go back to Rosneft and BP will take a $25Billion write down.

And yes, Putin had no idea that the world would react this way. He's basically galvanized NATO entirely and embarrassed China (his only major ally) to no end.

jiggyfly and mikol13 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

It's just another in a long line of screws that are getting tightened.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i hate to generalize, but in my experience russians have been amongst the most unfriendly, humorless people ive ever met. and ukrainians have almost always been pretty cool.

i used to play in a band that played a venue managed by a russian and she was one of the most unpleasant people i ever dealt with. lots of people assume that you can treat musicians like crap, but she took it to the next level. the irony is that im not a professional musician and in my real job i made probably 3x's as much money as much as she did. she yelled at me for whistling in her office once. i was whistling along to music being played on stereo while i was waiting to get paid and she went off on me saying that in russia it was not polite to come into peoples houses and whistle.

Buck Turgidson, mikol13 and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

According to the article, it's still unclear what would happen to the stake itself:

The company has decided to "divest" - meaning it will sever its financial ties with Rosneft, stop taking a dividend and step back from its two seats on the board.

Company officials say it is too soon to say exactly how this stake will be disposed of.

It could potentially be seized, or sold.

But it doesn't sound like it would just return to Rosneft. I think the bigger impact of this is that multinationals will think twice about future investments in Russia and other potentially sketchy areas, limiting their access to future financing (obviously with Russia, sanctions, SWIFT, etc also do that).

Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If someone would rather be a Russian than a US citizen it's not a huge deal but it is when the GOP platform was/is Make America Great Again...but you'd rather be a Russian? :rolleyes:

AleksandarN, deb4rockets and mikol13 like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We all are. Its not just liberals.

None of this makes sense. And now we are talking about Putin threating nuclear war.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yea, the French-Spanish border...lol.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

how were liberals reprogrammed? i dont get your meme at all...can you explain it for me? i like jokes. i like to laugh. i want to be able to get it!

16. Buck Turgidson

Ridiculously sad, but it frankly does not surprise me at all. Pretty solid history of racism in that part of the world.

17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It seems like Europe has had enough of Putin. They went from hesitancy on sanctions to openly sending arms and supplies very quickly. Citizens from other countries are showing up ready to fight.

Ukraine has long borders with NATO countries, they can keep the supplies coming longer than Russia can. I'm not sure how this ends, but I don't see a Russia victory.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He cant...because it doesn't make any sense.

jo mama likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow - great opportunity to say "Thanks, I will remember that when I am in Russia"......and kept whistling.

Wait, NATO will provide fighter jets? Seems we are deliberately provoking Putin now.....

I mean is the next step something like the "Flying Tigers" where foreign nationals fly for the Ukraine?

Could NATO be baiting Putin into committing more stuff so it can be destroyed and him weakened further?

DD

jo mama likes this.