1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Development

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xopher, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to start off with I am not being a smart***. This is an honest question.

How does a team develop 3 first round rookies and a guy who has never played PG, at the same time? This isn't counting Garuba, who is hurt, or Nix. It seems to me it would be difficult. I'm not sure how to do it when there are conflicting goals because they are all different kinds of players. There are very few veterans who can help develop these guys, so how is it done. I am not getting into the whole "We should have drafted Mobley" thing, but he went to a situation where he has players with at least a few years experience surrounding him so development can be more focused on him and not spread out as much. So how do the Rockets develop ALL these guys since they can't put their main focus on just one or two?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Very poorly, and this is part of the unbalanced roster I have been talking about, we don't need more rookies, or more developmental players we need some veterans that can teach the kids how to be a pro, and be successful.

Not even talking about the unbalanced roster in height too....just in experience......

DD

javal_lon, eliefor3, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In part I agree. But if you start making roster openings for vets, it means flushing some rookies. And this team hasn't figured out yet which ones they want to keep and which ones to let go of. Sure, you can stuff some of them in D League, but its not the same as seeing NBA level opponents.

This said, we have a bunch of guys that may turn to gold, but no doubt some of them will never be stars in the NBA, or even be in a rotation a few years from now.

Until we know who the keepers are, how can we give significant minutes to vets who wont be here in a year or two?

As to your other point, it does occur to be that playing guys out of position may be a detriment to their development. The need for forwards taller than 6'5" is real. One I hope they start to address next year or this coming off-season.

#3 jim1961, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

And the development of kJ Martin. Agree with the OP that it’s too much and we need to consolidate in the offseason.

Xopher likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why KJM is not starting at SF is beyond me, we need his 3pt shooting, his athleticism and his rebounding big time.

I know Tate is a hustler, a dog, but he can come off the bench......he should not be starting on a team at 6'4" at PF.

DD

cmoak1982 and Xopher like this.
  6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

This is what happened when you draft best available and don't think about fit. Also GM keep signing guards. I don't know why so many like Stones. He's not doing a good job.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets need to find a franchise player 1st, and then his development will be prioritized over all the others…Rockets will start building a team around him and getting rid of the excess young players

until the Rockets draft a franchise player, they will continue to flounder around

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

There is no LeBron type level of player in the draft in the next few years. Or you can develop one. Giannis was drafted 15th, just out of lottery. Jokic was drafted in the second round.

Aruba77 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

u don’t need to be a Lebron level talent to be a franchise player

u can bring up the rare instances where a franchise player was found outside of the lottery or in the 2nd round, but the odds are clear

Rockets are still searching for the guy they’re gonna build around

10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Which is why they get all the picks they can get and see who can be the one. Problem I had is coaching. Well who knows what happen in practice.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You are exactly correct. What I've been saying for months.

You try teaching Jalen Green and Porter Jr to
    facilitate together and hope they automatically
    gel together....but it was obvious they were stepping on each other's toes quickly.

I said the Rockets had to play them separately or
    quickly stagger substitution Green-Porter Jr.
    What the Rockets did was stick Green in the corner to allow Porter to get comfortable
    and find rhythm.

Now we saw how Green looks as he took the reigns with his All Star team.

Team needs to let Green run the point minis Porter. Schroder coexisted with other PG's simultaneously in OKC. I let Porter sit.
    Once Green learns while running with Schroder...
    it becomes easier bringing Green Porter back together this summer. In summer workouts without the coaches....then in preseason.

It's about prioritizing...training Porter Jr to play point guard
    took precedent over Green stats and winning ROY, imo

#11 ApacheWarrior, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What development has anyone noticed?

Rocket River

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no transparency, nor any communication to the fans.

I have no idea what Stone is cooking in his little room.

aaquaa likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why scouting foreign players is so important.

There is a possibility of a raw foreign talent that falls into your lap.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You may have the Rockets confused with the Green Bay Packers

Team owned and run by the community. Also one of the reason they have
    a hard time negotiating and attracting free agents. Group thought
    opinion has a hard time agreeing as a whole.

Stone is responsible for putting out a product worth paying to see....
    If no one wants to pay to see it, then he makes changes. His job
    is on the line; not us fans.

But if Green-Porter start to click next season as Green gets stronger....then Stone was right.
    And you see the results as they do indeed become scary. And fans pay hand over foot
    to see that product. Guard oriented league.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While I understand what you are saying, there are ways.

No, I am aware of the situation in the NBA vs majority-minority-fanclub stakes at a ballclub in other sports.

https://www.coindesk.com/markets/20...nd-nfts-its-the-start-of-a-major-major-trend/

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We need one more rookie, Chet or Jabari. We can develop for another year with our young core and a couple of decent veterans, not named Wood to help them along. 2024 has always been the target year to try and round out the team with an all-star veteran. It is more about length and coaching than experience. New coach, rim protector, and a wing with length and we are on our way in 2024 and for many years afterward.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with Tate to the bench. Not sure how good a 3 pt threat KJM is going to be, but it is worth a look. Tate is not a starter on a competing team, because of his height and outside shooting.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think players are developing. It may not seem like it, but we have young guys getting minutes. As Reeko said, the Rockets are still gathering random pieces as opposed to trying to build a contender. We are a team of role players and young developing players. No star players at this point. I think in the next year or two we will start trying to build a balanced team.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Respectfully disagree. What Green did at the all-star game was completely irrelevant since absolutely no defense was being played. I wouldn’t have a problem with bringing Green off the bench and running the offense as an experiment, but in all likelihood he is a shooting guard and he and Porter need to learn how to play together.