1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

No I am not doing that. The problem is that you are so wrapped up in being right and your viewpoint that you don't pay attention to what is being said.

I never said I'd do the same trade 10 of 10 times. Go back and actually read what I said because it's not that. That's you using strawman to make yourself feel right.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

You go back.

You are so wrapped up in defending the indefensible and muddying up the waters.

Anyone can read this thread and make up their own minds for themselves.

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't need to go back. I was talking about JA and signing him. I was saying how I would rather have picks because I think that is the way we overcome a trash owner. I then said I would take the same path 10 out of 10 times.

You followed up and brought up Dipo and I said that part was a disaster. At no point did I defend Dipo trade during that argument. I have repeatedly said that part sucked. Why would I say I'd want to do that part again? Yes I still would do the picks part but obviously I wouldn't want to do the LeVert for Dipo part again. I'd send LeVert somewhere else.

#923 gmoney411, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why is this even a thread?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you realize that it was the same FO that decided on both those elements of Harden trade?

Same FO that decided to pay Theis and other scrubs instead of JA?

Same FO that ignored its analytics team with first pick in last draft?

Same FO that hired the HC.

Same FO that could not or would not trade Eric Gordon. Or Danuel House.

Same FO that bragged about getting a young All Star caliber player to rebuild team around in any Harden trade.

Same FO that should have another top 3 pick in upcoming draft due to fielding the worst/2nd worst Rockets team in history of this franchise.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yeah I do realize that. Why?

Also, I don't think they decided to pay Theis and others instead of JA. I think they chose to get a pick for JA instead of keeping and paying him.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets could have held on to JA and received better than Bucks FRP at trade deadline.

Before you ask, yes this could have happened even 2 months after his trade to Rockets.

Injuries happen.

Playoff teams looking to shore up weaknesses happen.

Teams with cap space happen.

Teams with smart FO who recognize talent and trust their analytics happen.

Just because you are incapable of imagining all these things happening, just because you are incapable of realizing that JA had All Star potential, just because you believe that there was only ONE unchangeable path regarding JA due to Tilman's miserly stupidity ...

... does not make YOU right.

You can come at ME when I'm actually wrong.

But you coming at me when I've called it straight on multiple transactions is ludicrous.

Edit: why is nig-gardly a word that is prohibited now

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I am fully aware that all these things can happen and I never said they couldn't. If you think those realistic possibilities could have happened no disagreement here. I never said there was only one path. That's either assumptions or strawman on your part.

What do you think we could/should have gotten for JA at the deadline last year?

9. dmoneybangbang

$36 million < $100 million. That matters to someone like Tilman and to a team over the cap.

10. dmoneybangbang

Because the folks who wanted to rebuild/ love to bash the FO can't move on.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

it adds to the list of dumb decisions made by the FO and ownership

topfive likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Alternative realities.... ones that all require Tilman to pay a valuable center in RFA while over the cap and on the heels of trading their franchise player.....

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You can imagine JA was the greatest of all time center and it wouldnt have mattered because in no reality was Tilman going to pay out for him.

There's only the possiblity that JA was kept at the deadline for a trade, that probably would have netted something better than the Bucks pick. But that nothing to do with whether JA is going to be an all star. Because again in no timeline on this Earth was Tilman paying JA 100 mil.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Eh. Really we’re talking 9 per year vs 20 per year.

As we saw with Theis we can always move someone after you sign them. Probably could have gotten a decent return for Allen. And I don’t think he would have changed our tankathon that much either.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Not really. It's still a moot point if Tilman's cheap ass doesn't want to pay the top center in RFA with our current cap situation.

Who knows how JA could have changed last season and/or this season's draft odds. We essentially kept last years pick with a coin flip and keeping this season's top 4 odds with a 3 game lead.

We really going to jeopardize that for JA when we are clearly trying to rebuild? Oh, we can flip JA afterwards? Is that really worth jeopardizing two drafts? We going to sign him and only have him play him 1/2 a season before trading him?

The timing wasn't right with JA.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

A better FRP than the Bucks FRP.

Hell, even a pick swap with Cleveland would have been a considerable upgrade.

HorryForThree likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's reasonable. But right now a pick swap with Cleveland is much worse than having the 22 Bucks pick outright and unprotected (I realize we traded it for the 23 pick.) Having an unprotected pick years in advance is a decent gamble to take. And any bottom level team would probably have put top 10-14 protections on their first.

Were there better deals to make? Maybe. But unless it's multiple firsts I don't think the difference is that big. A better first might not have been much better.

19. conquistador#11

Another lack luster performance for hof Mobley with 12 pts. That's 6 out of the last 9 games where he's scored.. 4,8,9,8,11 and 12 pts. If they selected a George Muresan with their 3rd pick that's great. Hell of a rim protector with 14-15 pts a night that Muresan back in 95'.
    Cavs are still going to need to add some fire power but will have to get creative. no cap space until Love is off the books next year and will only have a late pick after they get bounced in the playoffs.

The Rockets on the other hand have promising rookies that can out perform theirs head to head, can add another top 3 pick +Nets pick and have like a trillion dollars come off the books when Wall, Gordon and Wood are gone. Things will even out.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

"A better first might not have been much better."

LOL

Now you're trying to convince us that "better" is not a good thing?