1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Sengun/Tate/2023 1st unprotected for Zion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 22, 2022.

?

Trade Sengun+ for Zion?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Dmo couldn't lace Sengun's shoes.

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

No thanks we have had enough bigs with foot problems to last another 50yrs.

hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.
  3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Still no, picks are hits or miss. Why give up two hits? When they don't even know what they have with Zion. Not worth the risk.

#143 Ramo$e, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

No. The Knicks team president came from CAA. He will force his way there regardless.

#144 CCorn, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a good post, but he got injured, or his knees did, which derailed an excellent career.

DD

sirjesse likes this.
  6. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I saw one of his shoes at a Goodwill of all places. What a marvel of humanity it was.

upload_2022-2-23_21-52-47.gif

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Aware

Aware Member

Yes. Obviously some red flags but at 21 he's still very much worth the gamble imo

HorryForThree and DaDakota like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed it is a GIVEN for a maybe.....and you always take the given.

DD

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'd probably start with Wood, Tate, and the first. That to me is a no brainer. Garuba, KJ, Wall, etc. Would all be on the table for me too.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Perhaps a better way to think about it is, what's the market for Zion looking like and what will teams be willing to give up?

I think the Simmons pool immediately become candidates: Kings, Pacers, Hawks, Celtics, etc. In fact, it'll probably be even bigger than that pool. Also, Zions only making 13M, so you'd have to include more pieces to make it worthwhile for them. Graham, Nance Jr, Temple, and maybe even Valenciunus are candidates.

Hawks will be willing to move Collins and anyone else not named Trey Young. Celtics will probably move anyone outside of Tatum, including Jaylen Brown. I could see the Heat dangle Herro, Robinson, and more if they lose in the playoffs early.

If I'm the Pelicans, I don't know that the Rockets have enough to make the deal worthwhile for me. A possible trade that they consider might look like: devonte, Nance, Zion, and Temple for Wall, Wood, Tate, KJ, 2 Frps and a swap. Wall would have to be open to negotiating an extension and declining his final year, maybe 3 yrs in the 20M range with a player option on the final year. Temple and Nance are expirings, Devonte isn't a player we want and we'd have to hold onto him. Not sure this would get it done, but it's a more realistic possibility than sengun, tate and a first.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you wish... old habits die hard....noone is shooting midrange on rockets 10 years and counting.....

aaquaa, cmoak1982 and Jontro like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Nothing says "I really don't know a lot about basketball outside of my Rockets" like voting to trade for an overweight, injury prone player that's only played in 85 of the 203 possible games in the first 3 years of his career. Once this season is over Zion will have played in 85 out of 226 games in the first 3 years of his career. If you couldn't stomach Yao's years of being injured then why the hell are you gung ho about getting Zion in a Rockets jersey? Sidebar: Know how many games Yao missed in the first three years of his NBA career? TWO.

xaos, napalm06, aaquaa and 5 others like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

The fact anyone is willing to trade any assets for Zion shows there are suckers born every day that talk themselves into being swindled.

14. ball king23

ball king23 Member

No i would never get rid of Sengun is to good to let go he needs to grow with green and Christopher no got to let it play out

napalm06, aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

This.

I also think about Ayton like this, what will the market be for him. The more I think about Zion, the more I think there will be too many teams driving up the price. Even if Zion won't resign in OKC, they will still try and drive the market up for everyone else. We still need to consider Zion as we get more info over the season.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would you trade Sengun, Tate, and an unprotected 2023 1st for a bag of magic beans?

hakeem94, aaquaa and D-rock like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

What is better Zion playing a 1/3 of his games or Sengun playing 1/3 of the minutes he should be getting?

in other words having silas for your coach is the same as being an overweight and often injured lazy player lololololol

#157 hakeem94, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think the Suns trade Ayton. He's very, very good, and one of the truly unique players in the league (size, versatility, touch, etc.). If you have a top 5 draft pick you probably have to consider trading it for a sure thing in Ayton, and most of those teams have a ton of cap space so taking him on and paying him the max wouldn't be crazy at all.

The price will be driven up by many teams. Zion would be easier to trade in a lot of ways if he was making 30-40M. Because he's on a rookie contract, valuable players will be getting paid a lot more, which is why i mentioned the bit about getting multiple teams involved.

The thing is, if you're the Pelicans, what offer do you value more: Siakam + Picks + Parts, or Wood + Tate + Picks? I think any team in their right mind would take Siakam. He's better, by a lot I might add, than Tate or Wood. McCollum, Ingram, Siakam would make for a very good starting lineup. That's why I put Wall into our offer -- he's the only way I think it gets done, actually, and he'd have to really want to go to the Pels, and they'd have to see value in him as their PG of the future with a renegotiated long-term contract (3+ years) that starts off high but goes lower as the years go on. Wall, McCollum, Ingram, Wood, and Valenciunas/Tate is a good improvement. Maybe enough of an improvement to entice them off of Zion, though we'd have to add firsts, and be willing to lose other role players like KJ, Matthews, etc.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Look - I have really low expectations for Zion as a franchise cornerstone, but you can't ignore Zion's absolutely dominant stats when he did play - he's like Lebron good 85 games into his career. Those players are soooooo rare that while he comes with virtually every red flag there is, any team in the league should have at least some package of players they are willing to trade for him on the off chance that he does manage to resume his career as a dominant NBA player.

We can debate how generous the trade package would/wouldn't be(and I wouldn't offer a ton), but the stupidest thing you could do is not even consider a route to bring him in. For instance - I wouldn't trade Sengun but Christian Wood and Brooklyn's 1st(maybe in the teens) in this year's week draft? Yeah I would do that.

ChillyPete32 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Who said I was ignoring what he did when he was on the court? What I was emphasizing is how much time he's missed and wasn't on the court. People might want to say "well he's just a case of high risk, he reward" okay sure but that risk isn't like a risk of taking on, say, a young player that needs mentoring like KPJ or a young vet that only started to show that he can put up sexy numbers 4-5 years into his career like Wood. This risk is levels above that--you're taking on a talent that has pretty significant injury history (tore his meniscus his rookie year, went through foot surgery last year), one that has shown to not care about proper conditioning, and, above all else, has his family/inner circle trying to control the franchise he's currently on. Tack on the fact that this kid is going to expect nothing short of a max extension by next summer?

The stupidest thing anyone can do isn't to avoid Zion; the stupidest thing anyone can do is to use meaningful assets (like the premise of this thread asked) to trade for Zion. Would I throw Wood and a 1st at Griffin and hope he bites? Sure but that's not going to happen because, like the 20% that voted yes on here, some are going to be so blinded by what he did do in about a 1/3 of his NBA career that they fail to recognize the red flags that actually happened (e.g. him being injured, not playing, getting fatter) in the other 2/3s of his career. Griffin is banking on that small group to go into a bidding war for Zion. I hope the Rockets won't be a part of that group.