1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Prayers for the people of Ukraine, many of whom will die and families will be destroyed.

Obviously Putin has no respect for Biden and is moving on him like a b!tch... knowing Biden is weak and won't do anything of consequence.

The world's energy policies over the last 15 years played a direct role in this. Putin is invading now because energy costs are high... and the developed world can't maintain their quality of life if oil/gas prices move up substantially. Had all nations pursued energy independence instead of ESG and climate change fantasies, Russia would have far less geopolitical power. Actions have consequences. Literally everything liberals touch goes to absolute ****. Inflation, crime, the border, foreign relations, you name it -- all disasters under Biden. How anyone can support him at this point is unfathomable to me.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This is why I hate both parties with a passion.... 10 years ago Obama and democrats laughed when Mittens called Russia the biggest threat. Now democrats are screaming it from the rooftops. Both parties need to be dismembered....

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Look who came back for the first time in 15 months.

Nook likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think that will be more difficult than just an invasion, but a lot of what happens comes down to the will of the people -- how hard are they willing to fight is the big question.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Prayers for the Ukranian people.

And prayers for the world when this blows up in Putins face and he becomes desperate.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It matters not. Putin would be more than happy to have a constant civil war in Ukraine so long as it doesn't involve Russian forces. His success is measured not by how well Ukraine does, but how far it remains out of NATO's sphere.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True many Democrats did mock Romney and I will give Romney credit for seeing things clearer than many in both parties.

I think Obama was weak regarding Crimea and also with Russian moves in Syria but I don't recall Obama praising Putin.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Trader_Jorge uses the @basso playbook....big big surprise!

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think many oligarch including Putin will want to personally fund an extended conflict in Ukraine. More likely the try to squeeze more out of the Russian economy along with sell off more of their natural resources to countries like the PRC that aren't in on the sanctions.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Biggest threat to who? I don’t feel threatened.

I didn’t want Russian-Ukrainian war but a war between those two states doesn’t make me feel threatened.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The problem is politics being treated as a sport in the US. It’s a problem with the media more than anything. It sounds naive but we need to realize we are on the same damn team because there are countries out there with mad men with nukes who want to kill all of us. I repeat… ALL of us.

Just today there were breakthroughs in potentially getting an Iran nuclear agreement back in place. Like why the hell isn’t that a bipartisan achievement regardless of party? It’s stupid. I get that the idea of parties creates competition in a democracy in order to decentralize power which is a good thing. However we are at a point and have been at points in the past (hello Civil War) where the two party system creates this self defeating split that allows 3rd party country’s to use our two parties to defeat ALL of us by driving these wedges.

We’ve got to remember we are on the same F-ing team whether we hate each other or not.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are so full of sh*t. Seriously dude. This has nothing to do with Biden. Putin fears all these European countries becoming westernized. He wants the old ways back. The motherland. You and Trumpy Dumpty need to stop blaming Democrats for the evil men in countries across the world. It is on THEM! The only one responsible for this is Putin himself, so stop with your BS.

13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

If our economy collapses because of expensive oil prices, then our quality of life will be threatened. Jobs will be lost, stock market investments will decline in value, etc, etc. We live in a connected global economy.

basso likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Putin isn't going to be a direct military threat to the US but he has used cyber attacks on the US that very well could affect you. If you drive a car, heat your house, and own stocks you're already feeling the effects of what Putin has been doing.

I don't blame all high energy prices on Putin or the decline in the stock market but given that Russia is a major oil producer and oil is globally traded Putin's actions are contributing to those problems.

basso likes this.
  15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    Putin waited to make his move until a weak Democrat was in office here. Biden is viewed globally as a dementia-riddled old man who is weak. Undoubtedly, that factored into Putin's decision-making and timing. I'm sorry if this upsets you. The truth may be painful to hear.

blue_eyed_devil and basso like this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. HTM

HTM Member

“Economic threat” was not the implication.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, this is on Putin! He is the evil power hungry killer.

19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

The ESG movement and climate change policies are largely to blame for high oil prices. The capital markets have choked off investments to bring on new oil & gas supply. And that leads to high prices. The Ukraine invasion will lead to another leg higher for energy costs. This will have a devastating effect on our economy.

20. HTM

HTM Member

Not worried about my stonks in the long term because of this. Nor am I worried about a war between Russia and Ukraine crashing the global economy.

FranchiseBlade likes this.