1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That game was getting all kinds of hype. It's another genre of game I usually don't buy (cartoony). Not sure about whether I'm into "roguelike/roguelite" games. I've got too many games to work through, so I may look into it later in the year.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm a fan of roguelike games where you die over and over while getting stronger. Cartoony graphics isn't that bad...reminds me of a brighter diablo.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember playing Torchlight I & II and kind of liking them, and maybe it's similar -- not sure. But those were mostly time-wasters. I hardly remember any of those games, tbh. Some of the fun of DIablo was the scenery/environment that at times could be creepy as hell when monsters started coming at you from all directions in tight corridors or you encounter one that you obviously aren't geared/leveled up for. Encountering bosses for the first time was a blast and memorable. I could never get that immersion out of the cartoony ones, but, like I said Torchlight I & II were fun to play from what I recall. The other part of Diablo that was fun and addictive was the loot chase. I mean, as an RPG, it was ok, and nothing but a clickfest, I guess, but the looooot. :D

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I played a bit of Hades and generally liked it, but I just can't seem to enjoy those roguelike games for some reason. It's weird because it seems like they'd be perfect for me, but they just don't click for some reason. Played a lot of good ones too, and I can appreciate them, but they end up collecting virtual dust in my Steam collection.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3!!!!!! And a new Mario Strikers game! Great Nintendo Direct!

RC Cola likes this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

Elden Ring getting some great reviews

Also, the ff6 pixel remaster is out

CCity Zero, ThatBoyNick and Xerobull like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Moved on to playing Pathfinder : Wrath of the Righteous. Slightly buggy and some mechanics are broken (either that or I just don't get it), but still a pretty decent game if you're into old school RPG's.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I picked up Project Zomboid after watching some videos.

...holy. ****.

I do not have the time to master this game. It's just too much.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now there's a blast from the past. lol. I never played it, but I think it was pretty popular.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are so many games and I play so few that there are always gems from the past that I can try. It's still super popular and their multiplayer is really coming around.

But again, I just don't have the bandwidth to become proficient enough to play it for any length of time.

I also tried out Vampire Survivor, which I can play on my TVs with an X-Box controller via Steam Link. It really is as good as it's hyped to be.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nintando Swatch has some great old games coming out -- Portal, No Man's Sky, 'Wii' Sports remake and a few others.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Poloshirtbandit

Started Horizon Forbidden West. The graphics are amazing.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I haven't had time to play anything but will hopefully be playing Elden Ring. Finally can use that 3080 ti, haha

Aware likes this.
  14. elrond

elrond Member

I really enjoyed Hades when it first came out. At least enough to get over 100 runs in. The variations of the boons, the weapons, and then adding pact of punishment conditions really makes for a lot of varying gameplay if you enjoy it. Feels similar to diablo since it has that isometric POV, but a lot more involved action, and you can feel your skill increase as you continue playing it. Really like the artwork and music as well.

Played quite a bit of Diablo2 Resurrected since one of my old college buds roped me back in. Diablo always feels like just mindless clicking until you lose focus and find yourself dead for some stupid reason. The addiction of that loot RNG is just ridiculous, but usually after awhile you find yourself wondering why you just wasted a large portion of your life playing this mindless game :p

Picked up Monster Hunter Rise on PC after putting in a few hundred hours on switch in order to play with my friend. Started a new weapon (CB), so it's kind of a new game in that sense. Monster Hunter games aren't for everyone, but if it clicks for you, really easy to spend a lot of time playing it.

Started playing FF7 retrograde since it was released for PC recently. It's reasonably fun, and of course the nostalgia! Battle system is kind of a weird action/rpg hybrid.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Have you tried ff6 remaster? I am pretty hyped for Elden Ring

16. Aware

Aware Member

the ff6 remaster is really well done
    just make sure you pick up a mod to replace the terrible default UI

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Do they have a mod out to make it harder? I basically was such a FF junky way back in the day... I beat 1 (nes and ps), 3 (ds release), 4 (snes us, gba, 3ds hard mode, hard mode on psp version), 5 - I would get near end and then stop on multiple releases and then be too lost to go back (ps/gba, even a translated snes version). On 2... I got tired of the no leveling thing etc.

Anyway, sorry on detour, so on 6, I beat it all crazy, like all different stupid runs, one where I literally beat it with only 3 characters (celes/setzer/Edgar). I think between 4 and 6, those are definitely my favorites though and have don't multiple play throughs on both, so the remaster alone will probably be fine, I just really enjoyed the extra challenges in 3 (3ds release) and 4 (the harder release versions). I think that's why I really like souls games, reminds me of the hard nes days.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

Elden Ring: can’t even get this stupid game to function on my controller through steam. I’m not gonna configure and waste an hour just to get this game started. I’ll wait for my steam deck to arrive. Retro consoles>PC I freaking hate PC now. *** you

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Horizon Forbidden West is one hell of a follow up.

It's the first game I've played where the power of the PS5 are clearly noticeable. The game loads a gigantic map in a 2 seconds, you don't even have time to read the load screen tips and the game is just gorgeous overall.

Games still have a ton of work to do when it comes to replicating human faces though. Top tier releases are almost photorealistic at this point, but the intricacies of the human face are still miles away.

17 months in and I'm still a regular Genshin player. I don't even spend any money besides the welkin and occasionally BP, so it isn't as if I'm addicted to the gambling. The game just does it for me, they found a way to check a ton of my boxes. I'm waiting for another company to get in on this, maybe a similar game with a more western style RPG feel.

#79 sealclubber1016, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Poloshirtbandit and Yung-T like this.
  20. Poloshirtbandit