1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Oladipo, Tmac, Kawhi, Jabari Parker, Gallinari,

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Did Tayshaun Prince or AK47 stay injured because of their frames?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Zion and overweight players are injury prone, for different reasons. The claim that Yao's injuries had to do with playing for China is just a speculation. The fact is, many big 7fters have foot problems.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Then good thing Chet isn’t a “big” 7 footer.

That injury designation would also then apply to Banchero being on the heavier side at 6’10

REEKO_HTOWN and hakeem94 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There is literally no proof that being thin makes a player more prone to injury in basketball.
    Genetic defects, lack of work inside the gym, being unlucky are factors.

REEKO_HTOWN and hakeem94 like this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

So what do you guys see as Sengun's prime numbers? Im going to say that is everything goes his way he ends up being a 20/10/4 guy with a block and a steal per. If he can pick up some of Hakeem's bag and if he can improve his 3pt shot to above average then the guy would be a hell of a crossover between the old game and today's NBA.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No need to name names. We can both give examples. Of course you can find players of all body types to be both injury prone and not injury prone. You can find smokers who live a long life and non-smokers who die young. That doesn't prove that smoking isn't bad for your health.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would love this

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair. I just don’t think Chet is prone to being injured because of his size.
    He’s a relentless worker in the gym and is a great athlete to offset weight issues.
    He’s not a stiff that is going to be caught in weird positions to constantly get injured.

Easy likes this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Al-P ends up on the Domantas Sabonis trajectory. He is already putting up better numbers than Sabonis did in his age 20 season as a 19 year old rookie playing in a new country immersing himself in a new language. For reference, Sabonis has been about a 20/12/5 guy for the past 3 seasons. If Sengun ends up being that type of guy and Green can be a Zach Lavine level scorer than the Rockets will have a legit inside out combo to build around. If they add another blue chip prospect and another solid rotational guy (like JC) as well in the draft this summer than they are really on to something long term I think,

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is on the low side of my “dream” scenario. I would be ecstatic if those two played out like that. Then add in JC and Chet (perfect fit) we would have a squad

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Chet is as polarizing a choice as I can remember.

Even with it being close to 50/50 last year on JG vs. Mobley, Chet is polarizing in a completely different way, imo.

Personally, I was wrong favoring JG last year over Mobley, clearly... but it wasn't a I think JG will be awesome or Mobley will bust. I consistently wanted to draft both lol and was having dreams of trading CWood to Cleveland for the 3rd pick, which of course sounds insane now. I just slightly preferred Green. But i was definitely wrong and admit that.

With Chet, it's not so much I prefer another guy. It's just its almost impossible to say whether Chet's frame will hold up - NOT JUST because of injuries, but whether it will be increasingly hard for him to be a contributing/dominant player with that frame when everyone else is world class in the NBA. More specifically, i felt the risk of drafting JG or Mobley was frankly very low either way. I think the risk of drafting Chet is much much higher. But the reward I think is higher than anyone.

The upside scenario of Chet working, and staying healthy. He's going to be quickly VERY impactful defensively, and rebounding. He will score double figure points just by being there. His outside shot is solid and will get better and he'll space the floor VERY well with this team, and specifically with Alpi. Then the REAL upside. He can handle some, he can be a go to guy offensively at times. He's a plus passer for his position. He has VERY high bball iq. He becomes that 20/10 guy that is close to a Gobert defensively and meshes extremely well. This is VERY VERY hard to pass up. If it works, essentially with Alpi, JG improving, KMJ, Tate, KPJ... with the right coaching, this is a team in 2 years that can be competitive to very competitive.

The downside is he's injured, his lankiness makes him less effective against tons of other 7 footers, and he's at best a 5th man that helps defensively.

For these reasons, Jabari is the best bet. Lots of Chet's upside (but not as HIGH), with way way less risk. Both guys are WAY WAY WAY better fits with Alpi and for overall team success than Paolo.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

ill take Durant’s injury history if it means having the best player in the league for 2-3 years.

Mediocre and healthy is garbage

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with most of this. I wouldn’t be mad with Jabari pick at all.
    Chet has a much higher ceiling imo.

Chet also is the best shooting big in college from 3 and pretty much anywhere. I guy that can be DPOY at all levels and inside out big is too tempting. Can’t pass on Mobley again.
    Mobley is a bit better perimeter defender while Chet is a better shot blocker. Both still elite.
    Chet offensive upside is even higher than Mobley. Both have the same risks with frame. But I personally don’t see either one being injury risks with their level of athleticism, coordination and IQ

D-rock likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not against drafting him. Just my worries. I never really commit to any drafting prospects because it is such an inexact thing. A lot of factors come into how a player will turn out. Many of those factors aren't very predictable.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Good way to look at things imo.
    Didn’t mean to attack you about Chet. You e been fair I think. Some other posters tend to go harder on him than others for some reason.
    I’m obviously a fan of Chet the player, but I think he is tailor made for this team.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

It didnt have to be was my point.

We passed on two, not one, excellent defenders.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

KD doesn't deserve to be on that lost IMO.

Durant was relatively healthy for the large majority of his career.

And then other players on list were active during era when centers were expected to battle in the paint.

cmoak1982 and Easy like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if you understand what I mean by spacing.

You can have 1 guy who crowds the paint but not THREE.

And you did not address the point about all 3 of Banchero, Green and Sengun needing the ball to be successful.

And finally defense.

Neither are very good at it.

cmoak1982 likes this.