1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about Americans representing China in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel you. I said essentially what you said, he told me that he never heard an immigrant complain so therefore they must be treated fairly. I responded that immigrants don't go on social media to whine about their problems, and his response?

I have no idea how to even respond to that.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You don't know how to respond because you don't know me. You are an ASSumer. At least give an example of immigrants complaining or stfu

Edit: you're not being a jerk in this thread so I apologize about the stfu. However when someone provides even anecdotal support for their position its proper to provide some support of yours if you want to continue debating. As much as I criticize you I believe you agree with that. Its a waste of my time if all you're gonna say is wrong and it's a sin to waste someone's precious gift of time

You think Hispanics would be scared to respond to Trump's rhetoric. They don't give a **** because they are living the lives they came here for

#162 pgabriel, Feb 20, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't believe anyone deals with systematic unfairness in this awesome ass country. At least provide examples

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Republicans need a time machine to enforce their proposals on immigration. Hispanics are like don't these idiots know we're already here

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Republicans need a time machine to enforce their proposals on immigration. Hispanics are like don't these idiots know we're already here

I went to a small black Catholic school in Junior High. When I went to a Catholic high school I was shocked there were more than twice as many Hispanics than Blacks.

My parents didn't keep me in a bubble but growing up in a black neighborhood as well I was ignorant of their social status. My junior high played Our Lady of Guadalupe in basketball. Poor Hispanic kids. That's how I knew Hispanics. Starting high school was a culture shock

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not my job to prove anything to you or provide evidence. I related personal experiences and those of others - two other posters did the same and told you how widespread it is. If you want the truth, go out there and find it for yourself as well.

You are the one ASSuming by the way - that just because the hispanic construction workers you know don't complain and say they love America it must mean they aren't treated unfairly.

#166 Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 20, 2022
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hispanic immigrants are a very large group and the largest group of immigrants. There is a lot of diversity among them. That there are some very successful and upwardly mobile Hispanic groups doesn't mean there aren't many many who are struggling.

Also if Hispanics were doing so well and so accepted we wouldn't have these paranoias about CARAVANS! the past few years.

Asian immigrants are smaller in number than Hispanics but are the fastest growing group and very diverse. Many don't mean the Model Minority myth particularly among refugee populations from Southeast Asia. Many of them came here not even literate with poor language skills. Gangs and drugs have taken a toll on their communities as it has many other poor communities.

It's easy from an outside standpoint to look at how successful East Asian and South Asian Indians are doing and then generalize to all Asian immigrants. First off many of those are self-selected immigrants who themselves or their parents are among the most highly motivated and well educated to come here. Since we've been talking a lot about Eileen Gu, her mother was a Chemical Engineer. Second is that for most of US history those Asians weren't successful. The stereotype of Chinese prior to the 1970's was as lazy and corrupt. Not hardworking and smart.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I did not realize that I am debating with someone who lives in fantasy land. I’ve given you examples but let’s be honest, no amount of examples will change your mind or even be worthy of contemplation, right?

I will end with this. I can think of no other country where my non English speaking, blue collar, public school, immigrant family could have jumped to white collar, upper middle class in a single generation (basically 25 years). Thus it is true that this country affords upward mobility opportunities.

It is also true that this country suffers from systemic unfairness, bias, inequality and racism in its society, institutions and government, and those things made life harder than it should have been. Both things can be and are true. It’s actually not that hard to grasp.

If you admire the achievement of Hispanic and Asian immigrant communities and feel that black communities should emulate their behaviors to achieve that level of success … sure, ok.

If you think that black communities use racism as an excuse to not try, work hard, or whatever it is you think they don’t do to match Hispanic and Asian communities, sure, I guess. Think what you want.

But those things do not require you to stick your head in the sand and deny the existence of systemic problems in our society and government.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You haven't related any personal experience or anything supporting your. More wasting my time. I didn't remember you doing but I checked just to make sure

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This isn't a personal experience of @Sweet Lou 4 2?

"I know my father missed home a lot and didn't feel respected here. He would get crap job offers for positions far more junior than he held before despite his greater experience. And we had similar stories of the insults and open hostility."

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't read every post. He is debating about it with me and that post wasn't a reply to me. It was in a response to another poster which gave more reason not to read it

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

dang ol took er jerbs

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Any discussion of any group isn't 100% of that group. No one suggests it is. However Asian Americans are very successful. They average is more educated and probably wealthier than the average white so let's otargue semantics just to argue.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@rocketsjudoka

I never said some Hispanics immigrants aren't struggling. I know I have focused on the ones who very good jobs. That being said the point is they aren’t treated unfairly.

Some job postings want only Spanish speakers. So while some jobs maybe low paying, that's an issue of that person's skill level. However having to work general labor jobs the last ten I know a lot of employers trust Hispanic workers

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No one asked you to waste your time and come in here and **** all over this thread. It was actually a nice discussion where no one was making personal attacks until you had to come along and waste all of our time.

You don't know what you are talking about - you don't even read the entirety of people's posts before firing off shots and saying your ignoramus things.

Why is it that everyone else as to prove you wrong, why can't you try to prove your gross assumptions to be true before you come in here and spread them around. Your time is precious while ours is at your expense to do your research for you? I don't think anyone here actually even knows what your position is given how much say one thing and then contradict yourself.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Back to the main topic. It's funny seeing NBC continue to emphasize that Eileen Gu is from San Francisco. If I was just a casual viewer I might presume she was competing for the USA.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

On a related note on PRC netizen's are calling Nathan Chen a traitor for skating for the US.
    https://mothership.sg/2022/02/china-netizens-angry-nathan-chen/

Beijing 2022: Nathan Chen's performance criticised by Chinese netizens as 'brutish' & 'ape-like'
    He was also accused of "insulting China" for remarks that he made on Xinjiang in the past.

The overwhelming success of U.S. figure skater Nathan Chen at the Beijing 2022 Olympic Games has not gone down well with mainland Chinese netizens.

"Brutish" and "ape-like" performance

Following his achievement in clinching gold at the men's figure skating event on Feb. 10, Chinese netizens took to Weibo to slam his performance, as well as the skater himself.

One Weibo user mocked Chen's performance as "ape-like" under a video montage of the skater posted by the International Skating Union.

Another described Chen as a circus act performing acrobatics in long johns (as opposed to a figure skating outfit) -- a derogatory statement implying that he's not a real figure skater.

A post that drew nearly 4,800 likes which was posted prior to the Feb. 10 figure skating event also drew a comparison between Japanese figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu and Chen.

Here, the netizen praised Hanyu for his elegance, "oriental aesthetics" and "noble temperament", unlike Chen who was "brutish" and "desperate to stand out" with his performance that was labelled as "robotic" with "no artistry".

The netizen also claimed that Chen, who cannot speak Mandarin, will be hyped as a "model of loyalty" by the U.S. following his victory, as a foil to Eileen Gu, a U.S.-born freeskier who chose to compete for China. Gu is extremely popular among the Chinese nationwide.

Slammed for insulting China with Xinjiang remarks

Some of the flak against Chen also took on a more nationalistic tone, saying that Chen had "insulted China".

A commenter highlighted Chen's comments on Xinjiang during an interview he gave in October 2021, in which he appeared to back American ice dancer Evan Bates's criticisms regarding China's treatment of the Uyghur minority.

At that time, Chen was quoted as saying, "I agree with what Evan was saying. I think that for a greater change to occur, there must be power that is beyond the Olympics."

The netizen said that he found Chen's action to be "particularly intolerable", and added that he was "extremely disgusted" with the skater for repeatedly "insulting China" with such comments.

He also accused Chen of not recognising his Chinese name, and of being unable to speak a word of Chinese, while praising Hanyu for "challenging himself" and "daring" to give his all in his performance.

Not all commenters are critical of Chen, however.

A small number of users could be found praising Chen for attempting to speak Mandarin, despite his limited knowledge of the language.

Chen: No plans to look at social media

Bloomberg reported that at a new conference following his gold medal victory, Chen said that he still has family ties in China.

As for the online backlash against him, Chen said that he has been staying off social media lately.

The current online reception of Chinese-American athletes marks a contrast to the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics in which such athletes were seen as bridges between both countries.

U.S.-born figure skater Zhu Yi who represented China in the Beijing Winter Olympics was blasted by Chinese social media users after she fell flat on the ice during the women's short programme team event and finished last.

Meanwhile, Gu captured the hearts of many Chinese netizens, even before her Olympic success, only to trigger an outpouring of outrage over a comment she made on Instagram.

Her comment that "anyone" is free to download VPN has sparked online fury among Chinese Weibo users over her perceived privilege and ignorance as someone who enjoys the freedoms offered by the U.S. and at the same time, has access to the opportunities that China has to offer.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the same thing when I watched that.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I read all your responses to me. Don't expect me to read your response to someone else. You didn't write any of your supporting information in response to me.

Immigrants aren't unfairly. Being inulted is a different issue. Your father being insulted doesn't represent anything. I believe you of Indian descent.

In 2019 average Asian American household was $85k. The US average was $65k.

https://www.google.com/search?q=asi...icket-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

That's the bottom line.

#179 pgabriel, Feb 20, 2022
  20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Yes, everyone is treated totally fairly. ****ing dumbass.