1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Via Jonathan Feigen:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ot-of-no-deal-Takeaways-from-the-16868248.php

"The offers they could get, at best late first-round picks in a draft they already have two picks, were not irresistible. So, they resisted them."

These are the only teams realistically possible:

The Rockets didn't want to add another late first rookie right now, apparently because if they trade for that pick, they have to use it to select a player. I don't understand how that's not considered an asset going into this offseason.

I'm hanging on still, but I'm starting to lose a little bit of faith in the decision makers for the Rockets.

2. Kmoney247

Kmoney247 Member

Agreed. The organization has no clear direction. Stone has made some very questionable decisions

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I feel they could of got something for him, but far as Age/Contract. I dont think a young team needs him, and the higher tier teams dont have that low draft pick. Maybe they need his experience. His contract/Injury problems sway contending teams away. What if his sore toe happens during a playoff series? Good teams don't want this.

Nothing against Eric Gordon, he is heck of a player still. Maybe he can go somewhere else in the summer if Rockets find the right fit. He still helps them in the right situations. He is very good player.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Clown show. If you don't like the return you at least do it for Gordon himself. He's at least earned that much.

Ben Frank, AXG, Mr.Scary and 50 others like this.
  5. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

makes no sense... why not just get that 2022 first round pick for EG and then on draft day, trade that first round pick along with the brooklyn pick to move up in the draft? or trade that pick for a future first rounder when some random team falls in love with a certain prospect?

or even better.. package that first rounder plus cwood for someone decent?

who says you HAVE to pick a player with that pick?? wtf stone..

6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

that boston pick would be really good... replace EG with a mid round player would be great

Joe Rocket, Rocket River and D-rock like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

these fools have no business running an nba franchise smh

8. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Someone should let Stone and Co. know that this pick could have been traded. This ONLY makes sense if the Rockets are very confident that they can get similar value in the offseason, as far as asset management is concerned. What about playet development? Opening up those minutes for guys like JC and Nix. SMDH.

Edit: The Rocket's reasoning is so simplistic. The fact that they gave this reason as the justification for not trading EG should be deeply concerning for us as fans. Did they really think we wouldn't tear them apart for this Barney thought process?

#8 ThrillaNManilla, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    roslolian, Mr Woods, fryjol7 and 10 others like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've read your post like 5 times now and their decision making still doesn't make any sense. I'm just baffled. I mean there has to be more to it than this or they actually weren't even offered first rounders. They have to recognize they could flip their later picks to another draft year, don't they? I'm so confused.:(

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

More importantly, why the hell is Wood still on the team.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Collecting as many 1st round picks has never been
    an issue in the past. Morey or Stone

I blame DD...............Just kidding.

Packaging 1st's to move up in the draft to help find Wood's
    replacement no longer became necessary because Wood wants to stay.

So one Banchero or Chet or Jabari Smith is enough this draft..

But ya coulda used them to move Wall sooner.

Rockets front office is too soft. Moving Tucker, Oladipo, McLemore where
    they wanted to go and now too sentimental and keeping Wood and Gordon
    and Wall. It's our fatal flaw. Eric probably told them, "no don't send me to Utah."

#12 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2022
  13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The only way this makes sense is if Stone and every other GM have agreed that this draft is going to be historically bad.

hakeem94, clos4life, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

right now we have junior GM who's learning just as much as our rookies. Tilman should hire top-resume gm so we don't **** our future in the making

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That’s one of the stupidest to I’ve ever read, and I’m going to go ahead and assume it’s a blatant lie.

16. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I'm really struggling to figure out who could have offered a first. Houston was pushing for a pick in the teens so it probably wasn't Toronto. Definitely not Boston who were shedding salary. Toronto giving their first for Thad Young is weird though.

Golden State were never interested
    No rumours of Memphis either
    Utah decided to shed salary
    Miami we would have had to take back Duncan Robinson
    Dallas it's probably Hardaway Jr coming back
    Milwaukee can't match salary
    Chicago never rumoured

I don't get it

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Toronto was basically trading down about 10 spots in the draft because of the Detroit 2nd they gave up

steddinotayto, D-rock and BallaDoc like this.
  18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Gotcha, didn't see that.

robbie380 likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What a dumb decision. EG is a depreciating asset. He might never play another minute for this team. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he asks for a buyout this summer or maybe even this week.

And the whole concept of the fact that maybe it’s a weak draft after the top 5 is dumb because on draft night how many times do we see teams combine picks to move up or move back a year or two? Happens all the time and if you don’t think you can get another Josh Christopher then you sure must not think much of your scouting team.

*Only thing I can think of that is really going on that Stone is covering up for would be Tillman asking him to sit out trading EG and Wall so they can negotiate buyouts to save him money. That’s the only thing that would make sense in this decision making.

What an grade A stupid decision. I think that might be the nail in the coffin for me with Stone. Guy thinks he’s playing 3D chess all the time when really he’s just dropping pieces on the ground and calling it part of the game.

htownborn34, hakeem94, Slim and 20 others like this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s funny because I got blasted yesterday when I claimed that the Rockets lied to the media two years in a row now (Oladipo for FRP and EG multiple FRP) and got excuses how it really was other teams making false claims.

Feigan being their mouthpiece today here with this hopefully puts that argument to bed. The fans aren’t stupid man. Him lying here that they turned down a pick that they never got offered if that’s the case doesn’t make him look any better. Either way the fans now know you are full of it.

I think the truth is he probably over played his hand with the Cavs deal and the deal that ended up with Thad Young, and he doesn’t want to admit that. He’s trying to swing for home runs instead of getting players on base when the pitcher is throwing it in the dirt.

#20 dobro1229, Feb 11, 2022
    hakeem94, KingSamJack, D-rock and 6 others like this.