1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson - HOF 2022 Nominee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 22, 2021.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

For 1, his putrid contract.

For 2, he never played a down, right?

Rockets34Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. STR8Thugg

So I guess Dre is just any damn WR....

GTFO with that garbage.

Dre would have triple the touchdowns if he just played with any QB that wasn't noodle arm red zone TE wh0re Schaub.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sure, it was a wasted pick, but it didn't matter that it was the first pick. He could have been their last pick and everything would have been exactly the same.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U can argue that there are plenty of other well deserving WR should get in b4 Andre Johnson, due to his lack of achievements.

If he had literally any solid-great QB, Rodgers, Brees, Mannings, Brady, Roethlisberger man would have easily made it into HoF, instead he has the likes of Carr, schaub and other irrelevant qbs throwing to him

Hester should have went in easily. The literal best return man.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

That's true, I see your point.

Since the Texans just assumed the contract of the player they selected, and they weren't picking against anyone, there wasn't a specific harm to taking him first. I had to look that up because I was a little confused on how it worked.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did the Jaguars know about the botched surgery when making this decision? There was a time when pre-acquisition physicals were more a formality... then you see instances like this one (and countless others) and there's a reason why team medical staffs are now pretty ruthless when it comes to a player "failing" one.

Plus I believe they conditionally worked out a side deal that if they took Boseli, the Jaguars would also unprotect Gary Walker and Seth Payne.

Of course the expansion draft is pretty much a front for "get out of salary cap jail free" hell for most teams...

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regarding Andre... he was always a point of emphasis for opposing team's defenses. Lets not pretend that he was always running wide open in the end zone and "noodle arm" QB's were refusing to throw to him.

Defenses focusing on him made it much easier to find Owen Daniels, Foster, Walter, etc. Those teams were scoring points and putting up prolific offensive efficiency numbers.

He is a HOFer and will get in. Forget about stats... he simply played for a low profile team in a low profile media city, hence why the first ballot didn't happen.

UTSA2step, itzIce and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seriously I see this all the time when Boselli's name comes up.

"What an awful choice, wasted our first pick on him" . We were free to take whoever we wanted to, and as many as we wanted to and we did get plenty of serviceable players. All we wasted was cap space, and cap space on a non contending expansion team isn't exactly some huge loss.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

I Think the bottom line here is that the league is a joke when it come to HOF the writers and voters are just not very good.

10. STR8Thugg

You're missing the point. He didn't have to be running wide open. Any QB that could laser it in there, or had the nuts to throw a jump ball or a fade would have used him exponentially better.

Also, let's not pretend like there weren't dozens of times when Dre would be sprinting down field "wide the fukc open" and Schwiggity Schaub made him wait on the throw with his pool noodle.

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So you suggest they go with the low percentage fade or jump ball or “laser” it in (i.e. - force it in) in order to boost his stats? They scored TD’s in the Schaub years due to how versatile all their options were: Foster, Daniels, Walter, Jones… Joel freakin Dressen had 6 TD’s. But yes, Andre was drafted in the 2nd year of an expansion franchise that was severely penalized and severely mis-managed in their first 4 years… and by the time they finally got their **** together, it was really only a 2 year window of contention.

I also guess NFL writers are too lazy to realize how TD’s can be subjective… and that Andre Johnson was excellent despite the deficiencies of the team he was drafted to. He was a finalist… likely gets in if pancakes actually does the one job he has and influences the cronies who vote with him.

snowconeman22 and BMoney like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just can't see caring about Andre Johnson one way or the other. He proved himself to be a scumbag by bailing for the Colts and BESF's when he was told his role would change based on what he had left.

Honestly I'm over diva has been types.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pffft. He knew BoB was a sht coach, I don't blame him for bailing.

All that bs about wanting versatile player and sht. Never was able to create a top 10 offense

Fulgore and STR8Thugg like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course you don't, but I'm coming at it from the perspective of a Texans fan.

Also, it's hilarious that he disgraced himself by going to those teams only to tarnish his legacy.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yeah, knowing what we know now, we should have kept AJ80 and sent BOB packing.

Andre at 33 y/o was not going to be elite, but telling him he would be coming off the bench was absurd considering what a putrid offense BOB was putting together. Mind you, this means Andre would have been benched in favor of some all time greats such as: Devier Posey, Keshawn Martin, and Damaris Johnson. Ironically him running Andre off was foreshadowing for what would eventually happen to Hopkins too.

Looking back on it, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that was a money move by the Texans more than anything. As with most front-loaded, long-term contracts, it became a liability by the end. However, Andre's game was never built on speed. He was the king of the middle of the field and a tactician with his routes. He should have been able to easily put together 1000 yard seasons for at least another 2-3 years if utilized correctly, perhaps even longer if we had a competent OC/QB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. STR8Thugg

@Trader_Jorge

[PREMIUM POST]

It's not about forcing it in to boost his stats. There were so many times he was double teamed initially and they just didn't even pay attention. There were so many times we drove into the red zone and it went: run, dump off to owen daniels, sack, FG. In the redzone, Dre was treated like D Hop with Brock Osweiler. They just couldn't connect.

I'm fully aware of Dre's career. I watched all of it. I don't need a lesson about expansion franchises, which btw, we have a GM still peddling that BS 20 years later, so I'm good on that.

Dre will almost certainly make it in eventually. That's not what this conversation was about. That bottom line is Dre was underutilized in the red zone throughout his career, and if you don't want to believe that it's not really my job to convince you.

GOOD DAY.

17. STR8Thugg

Alfred Blue was as tough, smart, and dependable as they come I don't know what you're talking about.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Look at it this way. We r the dumbass franchise who chose a sht coach over our greatest wide receiver.

coachbadlee likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Twice.

When it comes to Andre Johnson it was understandable he was washed and he wouldn't accept a reduction in his role.... with Nuk.....yikes.

Still doesn't make up for what Andre Johnson did after he left

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I miss Andre. Hoping to see something like this from Nico.

cmoak1982 and Fulgore like this.