1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Trade Deadline Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... from within the organization the more analytic driven people had different opinions than people like Stone and others.

It isn't uncommon for there to be differing opinions. Stone usually has met with his group of people individually and asks their opinions and the basis for their opinions..... the GM and owner and his son also have discussions. The call is up to Stone unless the owner steps in. At least that is how it was last draft. Not that different than a lot of organizations.

Stone tries to make everyone from the HC to the front office people and scouts feel they have some input before a decision is made.

The problem is that some teams (Memphis for example) tend to be on the same wave length as far as values and player evaluation and the Rockets haven't really been so far.

I want Stone to succeed.

He deserves credit for what he gets right (Christopher was his guy, who he wanted), and for when he listens to his analytic department (Sengun), but he also deserves blame for when he goes against some of his scouts and drafts Green or signs Theis or goes after Oladipo (Silas and ownership were in favor of that move as well).

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Absolutely!

- signed : Tilman's accountant.

D-rock likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Health is something no one can predict. You can't over estimate it. EG's health has been what it's been since hes been here. Even before he got here, folks knew he was just injury prone. Just getting him to the playoffs and able to play was a win. You finally have him having a year where it's pretty much an anomaly and yet don't get some kind of return when hes still on the worst team in the league and has no business doing so. This notion of believing to get something better is literally walking on the edge of the cliff. Its way overdue for EG to be elsewhere

ElPigto and steddinotayto like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Our team sure seems like a team that has a ton of input from a guy who really like flashy ball don't stop type players.

it all started with russ.

I think Patrick Starfish has a major part in that.

I also blame Red94 because I think Patrick bases 50% of his team moves on him.

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you seriously defending Stone????

Stone is a liability.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Im not talking about her, as much as concern for the whiners, and how toxic behavior is unhealthy for them.

bad way to live

treyk3 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Green becomes more like Lavine light than Brown.

Brown was supposed to be a defensive player that could score.

D-rock likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Unlike Stone, you guys came through in the clutch. Kudos!

DrNuegebauer and D-rock like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Without a doubt. They are young, they will learn.

10. steddinotayto

Yup and honestly maybe Gordon really tried to play as well as he could in order to help both Houston and him end this partnership so he can get a shot at a ring like Tucker did last year. That's the part that sucks more for me--while I wasn't much of a Gordon fan, I do think he's earned the right to play for a contender while he can still produce but Stone messed it all up.

Richie_Rich and YOLO like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's a bit simplistic, sorry...

I wanted all those moves made, and the Rockets to be swimming in picks and talent.
    BUT
    If the market isn't offering any value greater than what we currently have, why sell?

Gordon, nobody wanted him. Bummer - it's much worse to just give him away for free when we could just let him rest and see who is more desperate to make a move in the off-season
    Wood - nobody wanted him. Bummer. I honestly couldn't see a market for him that would bring back a 1st rounder in return. So why sell?
    Theis - salary dump with NO ONGOING COMMITMENT - A. Well done.
    Wall - couldn't move him. No big deal. Still a chance he rage-quits in the off-season by not taking his option so that he can sign up to play for someone else. If not, sit again.

Better not to sell immediately if there is no pressure to do so. See if anyone is more interested next time around.

[I'm not a Stone supporter]

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

100X

[​IMG]

D-rock and cdastros like this.
  14. steddinotayto

Tis sad.

D-rock likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Right with you on this for sure

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I have wondered why Stone and ownership haven't figured out that you mostly need players that can play both ways to win. You can have one guy like Curry or to a lesser extent Harden.... but that's about it, everyone else better defend well..... as it is, we are terrible defensively and the guys we have that can defend (Garuba etc.) cannot really pull their weight offensively.

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But who has failed here?

If nobody wanted him, then nobody wanted him. At 33 he still struggles to pass the basketball. Loves to dribble himself into trouble, and still generally has trouble dribbling the basketball.
    Outstanding value as a defensive guy - but has a long career of NOT shooting 40% from 3. Perhaps teams were worried by injury history and regression to the mean?

We all got excited by the "offers of first round picks" - but could have been posturing...

I can honestly see value in having him as 6th man next year. The aim will be to start learning to win games next year, so having a veteran around won't be the worst thing ever

18. Nook

Nook Member

I know that Clutch has to be somewhat measured in what he says about the organization.... but I appreciate him being honest about the Gordon situation and who failed.

Deuce, Richie_Rich, Clutch and 3 others like this.
  19. steddinotayto

A counterpoint could be that Stone read the market wrong and placed a higher-than-necessary value on both Gordon and Wood. When Cleveland traded for LeVert that should have been the time for Stone to reassess his options and lowered his asking price, specifically for Gordon.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

So stone tries to make everyone happy

D-rock likes this.