1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Trade Deadline Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.... ultimately Stone's job is going to rest on how well Green pans out and out 2022 #1 pick.

If the Rockets end up with a top 2-3 pick this summer and get Holmgren or Smith or Ivey, then Stone may be around for awhile.

There is a chance that Green greatly improves and is a Jalen Brown type player, and that the Rockets end up with an elite young talent in this draft... if that happens, all the dumb moves he made will be overlooked most likely.

If the Rockets whiff on Green and the 2022 lottery pick, then Stone will need to find a new line of work.

BigMaloe, KingSamJack, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Busted.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Let me see if I got this right:

Schroder: $5.9 million
    Bruno: $1.78 million
    Waiving Augustin: $7 million
    Waiving Brooks: $1.489 million
    Waiving Kanter: $2.6 million

That's $18.769 million. Theis' contract was $8.280 ...So the cost of unloading this mistake ended up costing $10.489 million? I know I got the math wrong here somewhere but if this is true....

4. Nook

Nook Member

Well that is a big part of this..... and Stone got the job because he worked with Tilman on the purchase of the Rockets from Alexander and Tilman and Stone bonded.

It is really hard to overcome bad ownership. Basically we are hoping that Tilman trusts Stone enough to let him do his job (which wasn't the case with Morey) AND that Stone does a good job.

So far both are questionable at this point.

BigMaloe, KingSamJack, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

if EG pulled some “I’m only here so I don’t get fined” sh*t, I wouldn’t blame him at all

every time I see EG taking a shot the rest of the season, I’ll be thinking “Why are u here?”

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Aren't you an insider? Or do you only know players.....

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, y'all should be ashamed. Clowns got Felicia Stone to take her Twitter account private. No telling what deranged loonies were posting/tagging her with.

Scarface, DreamShook and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

CF is so used to Moreys shock and awe trade deadlines that anything less brings disappointment. Wood and Gordan can still be traded in the summer. At least we have the draft to look forward to and argue about!

jcmoon likes this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

That’s interesting. Did our scouting department have differing opinions on prospects?

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

one is pretty much a walking injury waiting to happen and the other hasn't exactly been the on the best track record.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I mostly know people that are or (mostly) were in the Rockets front office. Most of them are not on the Rockets anymore.

Does that make me an insider? I don't know.

BigMaloe, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry to hear that but it is telling that his wife is named Felicia. Makes for the perfect good-bye.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

All of those are expiring contracts and Theis is owed 27m over the next 3 years. That's why this deal was done.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brooks was probably a casualty, but Augustin's salary was a sunk cost -- and they'd probably waive him to do him a solid in either case. You have to look at the prorated amounts. The salaries incoming from Boston were about ~1.5 million extra. Prorated, call it a million. They may end up eating some cost for Brooks, but there's a decent chance he's picked up too. I'd say it cost us about $2m to unwind the mistake signing (and avoid 2 years / ~19 million remaining).

D-rock, Nook and steddinotayto like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Like 100x this. Gordon (and to a lesser extent, Wood) has no business being on this team. Gordon hasn't produced like this in SEVEN years. THIS trade deadline was the time to move him. What happens if Gordon's injury is worse than thought and he's out for the rest of the season and then needs surgery? Can Stone trade him in the summer then?

Nook and YOLO like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sigh, if this is related to deadline whiners

D-rock likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes, you got it wrong.

The cost of Augustin + Brooks is not additional. They were getting paid that already.

Theis contract: 4 years $35.6 million

Schroder + Kanter + Bruno (combined) 1 year $10.31 million

So we just SAVED $25.3 million on the deal.
    IF in some strange fantasy world, John Wall opts out of his player option in order to sign a deal elsewhere so he can actually step on the court (HUGE if, but run with it) then the Rockets would have only $72.5 million committed in salaries - or be almost $50 million under the projected salary cap for next year.

Yeah ok, a massive IF, which most likely doesn't happen - either way, ditched dead salary at no asset cost.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  18. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Good for your mental health. It’s all just entertainment.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Go Rockets

it’s hard to be a fan, yet here we are.

Go Rockets

D-rock likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

She did the last thing last year too.

You don't get to reap the rewards of the internet and not expect to sow the downside of the internet.

Rockets Twitter sucks up to Stone too much and a lot of it is because his wife is so involved and kind.

It kind of seems like he uses her as a buffer, plenty of people don't know boundaries, it shouldn't be shocking.

D-rock likes this.