1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The worst kind of cancel culture: Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People seem to forget that cancel culture has been around a long time and the worst case are by some of the people who cry the most about it.

Take a former NBA player who was cancelled - literally cancelled, first suspended indefinitely, and then being in a position where no team would take him - sound familiar?

All for not standing for the Anthem. His life was threatened, someone drove a car into his home, and later his home was burned down. They didn't just cancel his job, they tried to cancel his life.

So much for the ability to speak freely.

https://deadspin.com/mahmoud-abdul-rauf-deserves-an-apology-1848508325

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thanks for the article. I'd forgotten about him. I do wonder about the author making this comment:

"The NBA is the only American professional sports league predominantly black. "

The NFL is predominantly black unless his definition of predominantly is different than most.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was a huge fan of him as a basketball player and later as a human being. Was so disappointed to see how he was treated by the NBA and NBA fans.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But let's be real, Joe Rogan is the real victim here, right @Os Trigonum ?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the NBA is a racist organization

pgabriel and Gioan Baotixita like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

chris Jackson has been cancelled

What about baseball
    [​IMG]

Nook and Gioan Baotixita like this.
  7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the dixie chicks were cancelled before being cancelled was cool.

all they did was say that they were embarrassed that GWB was from texas and "conservatives" freaked out, boycotted them and burned their albums.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

More like the free market. The NBA doesn't make a decision on these things based on their personal views. They base it on whether they believe the protest by a player harms their ratings.

It's like the banks with redlining during the 40s and 50s. The banks weren't racist. The market was.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sinead O'Connor faints

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think history has proven both sinead and the dixie chicks to be correct.

another irony/hypocrisy that ive always found with trumpers is that 20 years ago they were the ones cheerleading for the iraq war and saying anyone who was against it was unpatriotic and hated america. then trump came along and trashed the entire bush family and said invading iraq was the worst foreign policy decision our country has ever made (he was right) and those same people ate it up like dogs.

Kim, deb4rockets and IBTL like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol the entire gig is hypocrisy it's actually crazy how over the top it is on every topic!
    @deb4rockets

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought it was pretty badass of him to not stand for the anthem because of his values. I thought it was brave. The man did not want to compromise.

Anthems shouldn't even be played at sporting events. It's just sports. Play it before a judicial hearing or something. Play it at the post office.

It's really not the people that don't stand that make a big deal of it. It's everyone else.

I stand for the anthem. But I don't stand for judges. All rise? Nah. I'm good, fam.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related

D.C. Used to Love NBA’s Enes Kanter Freedom. Does Biden?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...as_enes_kanter_freedom_does_biden_147165.html

excerpt:

Enes Kanter Freedom, a center for the Boston Celtics, has plenty of fans, many of them in high places. There is Labor Secretary Marty Walsh, who became friends with Kanter while mayor of Boston. The New York congressional delegation, including Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, also knows the 6-foot-10 big man from his days with the Knicks. Sen. Ron Wyden, chairman of the powerful Senate Finance Committee, often grabbed dinner with Kanter when he played for the Portland Trail Blazers.

For a professional athlete then, Kanter is especially adept at navigating halls of power. Despite all of those D.C. connections, there are two people he can’t seem to reach: President Biden and Vice President Harris.

Kanter tells RealClearPolitics he has been trying, through established back channels for more than a year, to set up a meeting with the White House to discuss human rights abuses in Turkey and China. “Every time we try to reach out,” the outspoken and well-connected athlete said, “They always say, like, ‘We will get back to you.’ They never do.”
    more

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the one hand, yes absolutely. On the other hand, if banks or sports leagues care only about what they're best-paying customers want and are willing to engage in racial, religious, and xenophobic bigotry to please them, they are complicit and every bit as guilty as the market.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have the same problem. Biden never wants to meet with me!

FrontRunner and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So is that....uh...is that whiteface?

As an insanely white Caucasian, if I tan a LOT am I self-race-hating?

****ing weird.

IBTL likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. That's the GOP. They tout FREE SPEECH, but only when it suits them. Hypocrites!!! The Dixie Chicks were Saints compared to the new Red Radical Party still calling itself conservatives. More like out and out lying cheating traitors who prefer Dictatorship over Democracy.

IBTL likes this.
  18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember him, that controversy is probably the only reason I remember his name. Symbol of oppression felt like kind of a thin narrative at the itme and I guess conflating his background as an obvious convert to Islam I probably wondered why people like Abdul-Jabbar or Ahmad Rashad never seemed to do stuff like that. Reading now that he grew up in a grocery store soda aisle of racism like Gulfport, Mississippi adds some perspective.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Gioan Baotixita

Anytime someone mentioned the word Trump, and like clockwork orange, here comes this deb4rockets chic again. Really really creepy. Lol

IBTL likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Haha I appreciate her passion.
    Same with you.
    We are all passionate. I believe it makes us better lovers

Gioan Baotixita likes this.