1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 2/4/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 3, 2022.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That doesn't matter, his development matters, we're not making the playoffs here. The team is dumb if they think having him sit entire quarters is useful in anyway. I'd be fine with it if it were just a one game thing but it's sad that once I saw it was a blowout that I knew Jalen would be sitting the entire 4th qtr again.

also +/- is a terrible stat in such a small vacuum. The whole team was - pretty much. Ego -22, Wood -28, i mean everyone was bad, +/- is going to be bad for most of the team in a blowout

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course it matters.

You can't just cherry pick productivity and performance stats.

The team lost by 20 so YES, most everyone on the team was a net negative but NOBODY was as bad as Jalen.

NOBODY.

BallSoHarden and hakeem94 like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

STAMINA BULLSHITTERS WHERE YOU AT?

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's not cherrypicking. +/- is a terrible individual stat in the scope of one game. It simply is. It doesn't tell you for instance that Wood and the bigs got absolutely dominated in the paint...

It tells you that Vassell was the best player on the court last night and I can tell you...not one person watching that game last night thought that.

I mean you can do this with any game, ask someone who the worst player was and the best player, poll people even...and +/- for a single game will more often than not be wrong. For a single player it is terrible...because it can sink players based on others playing bad.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Zach Collins back from the .....injured.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

WS would be useful in time, just not now that the team is not winning a lot.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course I was not watching, I find the Bucks boring to watch actually.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

+/- Is a good stat for lineups and such and BPM is good for overall season, but one game...nah, even still, I don't know. BPM has Kevin Love as the 9th best player right now...in the NBA...lol. But we know he's not even the best player on his team...but it's saying he's better than Ja Morant...

Like for example, a lot of the guys that have a low +/- that's because they played in garbage time against lesser opponents. Rockets only lost the 4th by 4 points. I imagine Jalen's +/- would have gone up playing garbage time, in fact, his +/- in general wouldn't be as low as it is if he were allowed to play garbage time like a normal rookie, but it's being sunk by the fact that he plays with the starters that get blown out on the regular.

Now this is not to say that Jalen doesn't contribute to the blowouts, he certainly does, but his teammates don't help. If you put Jalen on a better team his +/- automatically goes up. Any semi-professional player can put up a good +/- if he's playing on a team thats loaded with talent.

But for me it isn't really about how performs, this season is lost and gone after all. Avoiding garbage time has always been a privilege. Jalen doesn't actually deserve to sit on the bench and watch NBA Journeymen add to their resume for their next team, he doesn't get that privilege yet. He needs to be out there with them because it's a good time for him to learn how to be a first option, if he's going to learn it at all.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

So which advanced stat do you want to hang your hat on with Green?

And I was told ad nauseum that KPJ was hampering Green's development even though Green plays as many MPG as KPJ. Buh ... buh ... Green needs to dominate the ball more which he cant because KPJ, Wood, EGo, the fairy godmother, Mother Theresa, My Little Pony, etc. are being selfish and not letting Green play his game.

Well, KPJ only plays 11 mins and all I see are the usual suspects NOW saying Green was not as effective because KPJ was not there to set him up.

WHICH IS IT????

PiCK ONE EXCUSE FOR GAWDS SAKE!

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

For all that is holy, please trade Jalen to a "better" team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are right, the season is lost.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I can't speak for other people and there is no advanced stat that is end all be all like a video game. Every advanced stat is going to tell you Green is bad...it's going to say that every rocket's player is bad. Trying to pump up one over the other is like picking through a lineup of turds. All of these guys have been bad and their most consistent player is an empty stat stuffer. That's why we're a bottom 5 team in the NBA afterall.

There isn't an advanced stat that would tell you that ANY of these players are 'good'. All of them are inconsistent and usually not very good, if they were, they'd win a lot more games if they had even one player that was fringe all-star level.

I think it's silly to give up on a guy that's barely played a full season of basketball. You would have traded Dirk during his rookie season?

We're acting like he's never had a good game or something. He's not that guy.

How was KPJ during his rookie season? Going by plus/minus...one of the worst players on his team...

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why are you worried that he would be given up on?

The organization would not, why do you care what other posters think about him?

He rarely had a near triple double game.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trade KPJ too.

Trade them ALL.

Burn this house down including the coach and GM.

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

You’re right about +/- for a single game not being very informative, too many confounders.
    However over a larger sample the confounders average out and cancel out. And over the season it looks terrible for Green. We’re just -1 per 100 pos. when he’s OFF the court and -20 when he’s ON. By far the worst on the team. He’s just been toxic for the team.

D-rock likes this.
  20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Some interesting numbers for you math guys rom yesterday's game:
    Rockets shot 11/33 and Spurs shot 13/28 from 3.
    This gives us a 6-pt difference in 5 less shots. This is good usage of the 3-pt.er.
    Rockets shot 36/83 and Spurs shot 51/89 from 2.
    This gives us a 30-pt difference in 6 more shots. This is even better usage of the paint and midrange!
    Even with an advantage of 23/29 FT.s against the Spurs' 16/20, Houston is screwed.
    Each game there are great opportunities for an easy midrange 2, but we pass them by because... Silas.
    Please don't say a midrange shot is harder than a 3-pt shot! If your shot's not falling from range, you switch to midrange and score more easily. Cut to the FT line (which is mostly unguarded vs. our 5-Man Out ****), pull up a shot and it will be high percentage.
    Corliss Williamson, Matt Harpring, Rip Hamilton... these instant offense guys tore the adversity apart with the elbow jumper.
    BRING IT BACK!

NewAge likes this.