1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs vs Rockets Rebuild/Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xaos, Jan 26, 2022.

?

Which Team Will Be a Top 4 Team in the West - Considering 'Rebuild Timeline'

1. Rockets

84.9%
  2. Spurs

15.1%
  1. xaos

xaos Member

Spurs traded away Leonard July 18, 2018

Rockets traded away Harden Jan 14, 2021

It was clear Spurs did not want to 'tank' or tear it completely down, meanwhile it was clear Rockets did. There have been strong feelings towards how to rebuild a team on here and those discussions will come back this off season or anytime Rockets win or lose a few games in a row. There's no question Spurs have upper tier upper management and have a winning culture. Rockets' current front office does not have that kind of track record, obviously.

You could make the argument Spurs 'rebuild timeline' are a few years ahead of where Rockets were after the Harden trade. If time starts at 0 years after the trade of each of their respective franchise player, Spurs are 2.5 years ahead of the Rockets on the 'rebuild timelime'.

Spurs have spent the last few years since the Leonard trade playing to win. In the meantime, they're not really accumulating high end talent/assets. They have a coach who has been considered the GOAT.

Rockets have focused on accumulating first round draft picks, young talent, shorter term commitments.

If time starts at 0 for each team after the trade of their franchise star, which team will be in the top 4 of the West first?

*Note: I recognize that even though I am using a 'rebuild timeline' of 0, that does not mean I believe both teams are starting from the exact same situation.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Different scenarios

spurs want to win because of pop . Like biggio chasing 3k hits .. pops record is more important to the organization than drafting 5 spots higher .

plus .. they believe they can develop talent taken in the teens to be just as good as top 5 picks .

I think primo is gonna be an absolute stud ...
    And guys like Murray and keldon Johnson look like nba players .

to answer the q . Prolly spurs . I’d be 100 percent sure they make the playoffs before us . Their future starts again next year when they hire a new coach .

BallSoHarden, glimmertwins and xaos like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets have the brighter future, they could easily get another shot at drafting a franchise caliber player this offseason and those future Nets first round picks are looking better and better every day.

The Rockets could be absolutely stacked with young talent in a few years.....and the Spurs won't have Pop anymore.

harold bingo and BossHogg713 like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

That's the exact reason why I chose Spurs as the team to compare us to. Regardless of the reason why, I believe they are taking the opposite approach as the Rockets

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Spurs are likely going to trade Dejounte and start the process again next year.

xaos likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really, they are staying a 10th to 12th place just to keep Pops happy until he retires IMHO, nothing to see there.

7. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Dejounte Murray is not living in San Antonio for the rest of his career.

red5rocket likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Absolutely true, the Spurs can get talent with the 15th pick, in the range of 20th to 30th picks and in the 2nd round.

How do guys think they got Ginobili, Parker, Kawhi.

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't know there roster but I think our mid first rounders are going to be as good as some if not most roster. Im thinking senguin, Christopher. Also we got guys like Tate who would be equal to their lower round picks.
    I think we have a more superstar potential type of players (green, kpj) and will add one more in the next draft

All we need is some time and a good coach

10. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah, that is one of the biggest questions I have with Spurs. Are they going to trade for another player to pair with Dejounte or trade him to tear it completely down. Dejounte is better than any player on the Rockets and he is still young, so I could see them going various directions. Usually Spurs don't make big moves at the trade deadline, but I'll be watching them closely.

Corrosion, Milos and daywalker02 like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Rockets with Sengun are already way ahead of San Antonio, if San Antonio had Sengun Pop would turn him into one of the best players of all time...Unfortunately for us, Silas's eye test is crooked af....

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nice thread xaos, I often compare the course of Rockets action to what the
    Spurs endured following Kawhi forcing his way out of San Antonio.

Spurs had Rudy Gay, LaMarcus Aldridge, Patty Mills and DeRozan the past couple of years
    while their young players got their feet wet and get use to the grind of the NBA.

People said those players were washed up.....but yet they are all flourishing
    with their new respective teams. Rockets are trying to clear the contracts
    of EGo, DJ Aug, Wood, Wall to allow the kids (JC, Garuba, Sengun, Nix, Mathews,KMjr)
    to get more reps. It's sink or swim after the trade deadline; but the players
    and team will be better next year as a result. Don't believe what teams
    say about being content to keep their tradable assets. It's just leverage
    tactics.

Spurs Murray is in his 4th year (1 more year on contract)
    Derrick White is in his 4th year (1 more year on contract)
    Lonnie Walker is in his 3rd year (1 more year on contract)
    Bates-Diop in 3rd year

So they have prospects of Josh Primo, Vasseli, Keldon Johnson,
    Jack Lindale, Joe Westkamp.

I feel like Spurs are same place Houston is as they lose
    Thad Young, Zach Collins, Poeltl.

This is why I don't want to waste too much time having our young players
    getting playoff experience. If we wait too long the Murray, Derrick
    White and Lonnie Walkers mature just in time to benefit their next team
    as they leave in free agency. And to trade them for draft picks is just
    spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.

I have the Rockets elevator passing the Spurs next season as
    the Spurs hit a snag and may be headed down upon completion
    of next season as Murray, White, and Lonnie Walker depart
    for greener pastures (always the New York, Miami, California, Chicago
    markets that call out and appeal to these kids).

Doubt either make top 4 next season; but Houston will have the inside track
    there after.

#12 ApacheWarrior, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    burlesk and xaos like this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Rockets, the Spurs are stuck on the mediocrity treadmill and the problem of getting a top FA to play in San Antonio is real

xaos likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

But they didn't. They had the opportunity to, but they picked Primo 12th. If Pop believed he could turn Sengun into one of the greatest players of all time, I think he would've pushed hard for him over Primo, right?

15. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks for the response. I agree that Spurs are trending on the path of realizing that they need to do what Rockets are already doing. Spurs have all of their upcoming picks, so they also have options to make a stronger push towards being better now or adding picks to their stash.

Do you think Murray is a perfect fit for a team looking to compete now? The only one that comes in mind is Philly, but haven't looked at what they have to offer to the Spurs if the Spurs were to have a teardown rebuild.

Milos likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Spurs have won 4 more games than the Rockets and are spotting the Rockets nearly 3 seasons. The Spurs are trying their hardest to win games. The Rockets are trying to develop players and aren't playing with a PG.

I don't see the Spurs finishing in the Top 4 this year or next. So basically, the Rockets have until trade deadline 2027 to be in the Top 4 to win or at worst tie most realistic best scenario for the Spurs of being in the Top 4 at end of 2024. Stone can have a lot of mistakes and still sneak into the Top 4 by then.

gfab-babyboi, DrNuegebauer and xaos like this.
  17. Milos

Milos Member

Hopefully a few hundred miles due east down I-10
    These Rockets need Dejounte

Mathloom, xaos and steddinotayto like this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

You could be right, but I think that would be short sighted of the Spurs to just hang around until Pop retires and it would be equally selfish of Pop to just hang around without having any real goals. I can't think of any examples of a team just hanging on a coach with no long term plans. Dallas and Dirk come to mind as an example of a team and a player hanging around each other based on the player's legacy. But, even in that situation, Dallas communicated to Dirk that they're going towards a rebuild and they landed Luka.

If Spurs aren't the team that we could compare to the Rockets, which team is? I think the key ingredient here has to be the team trades their franchise player.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's admirable that Pops and the organization still want to compete and try to win as much as possible. On the flip side attracting superstar talent via free agency has been highly improbable and, without high draft picks, the Spurs are going to keep on lingering in NBA purgatory. They had luck/flexibility to take a chance on drafting the Tony Parkers and Manu Ginobilis of the world because they had Duncan. Hoping that you draft a franchise player after, say, the 10th pick is pretty rare.

glimmertwins, Milos and xaos like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You suck no matter what thread you post in.

jordnnnn likes this.