1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Needs to be Benched

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 25, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ask yourself this, did we bench KPJ when he was playing like garbage too? His play was in the dumpster and his confidence was shaken.

They stuck with him, worked through his issues, and we are currently seeing a drastically improved player.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

If Green gets benched it reflects poorly upon Patrick and Stone. So, I don’t see Green getting benched.

I don’t think it makes much difference whether he starts or not. He’s going to get minutes. The number one goal here is to have have Green develop into a quality player. I guess the the Rockets feel Green develops faster playing as opposed to sitting.

The only drawback I see to playing Green big minutes is that we could be stunting the growth of a player like Christopher. Of course we could make a trade to open up minutes for Christopher.

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

It takes time with young players, he has ways to go but I trust he will get better if he goes through his off-season with some serious training and strength conditioning.

My biggest worry is the coaching staff is a bunch of joe schmoesss.

slothy420, Verbal Christ and ROXTXIA like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

LOFs are back! Filipino edition. If coaching is the issue, how come Josh Christopher and Alperen Sengun look just fine?

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As well as KPjr and his progress...

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I don’t think anyone had him pegged as a franchise altering player. He wasn’t pegged to be a versatile multi position player or dynamic defender. He also wasn’t pegged to be a great lead guard, primary initiator, or heliocentric focus of an offense. He was always seen as an efficient bucket getter who can get you tough shots. I don’t think his archetype is particularly scalable to wins. For example Beal, Levine , and booker have never truly impacted winning until a system and other plus players were put around them. But he can be a piece of a winning team with a specific role. You just gotta hit on the other picks.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  7. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

He is weak and probably exhausted. Maybe his hamstring is still bothering him too? He was supposed to be the most NBA ready, what happened? He dribbles like he has tiny hands. He needs some moves to pair with his elite athleticism. I’m worried we have a more athletic Corey Brewer though.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Remember leading up to the draft, Jalen comparing himself to Kobe, then talking all that smack to Cade, saying he deserves to be the number 1 pick. He needs to give his agent a raise because they played that perfectly, talked his way into getting picked #2. Unfortunately Rockets were the morons getting scammed.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I grew up in Stevie Franchise era, I remember Kelvin Cato contract and Stacey Augmen unwilling to play for us. This ain't even that bad, we got four rookies and more picks coming in the future. Tradeable assets in Gordon and Wood (we're way too low on him).

My point isn't about just Jalen Green but rather example and message sent to JC, Alpi, and Garuba.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can't un-see that middle paragraph. He'p me, Lawd.

And get Jalen some Motrin.

Moe, Roomba and apollo33 like this.
  11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

KPJ also spent time in the gleague last year.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're nicer than I am.

Silas. Nice guy, good as a mentor, can't coach a team any more than I can speak Urdu.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Eventually the answer to that is YES....number 2 picks should be SURE THINGS!

DD

14. DaDakota

Then he is not mentally strong enough to be in the NBA .....

DD

NewAge likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats it. Need to stay away from surface level thinking and have a big picture mentality. All of our rookies will need time to develop as is the case with almost all rookies. They will show you why they were regarded as high draft picks on certain nights and then will show you their immaturity and need for further development on others. Add another top 5 pick this year to the mix, and then maybe sign a decent FA and look for 2024-2025 to start making some noise. Until then folks better stock up on pepto bismol and whiskey.

16. DaDakota

I have been saying that all year - but the problem with that is having TOO MANY OF THE SAME PLAYERS they will not be able to develop, someone is going to get left behind...and that someone might be better than the higher draft pick.

You can't develop 4-8 guys at the same time.....especially all at the SG/SF position.

DD

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

Send him down to RGV for a "rehab assignment." Would like to give Nix some run with Brooks and Bird. Divide their minutes with Augustin/Christopher/EG evenly. Alternate those two backcourts as starters & finishers and take notes...

My hope is we'll trade KPJ-- he lost me after storming out at halftime.

We need to lose out the rest of this miserable season and draft that 17-yo wunderkind PG.

NewAge likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're right. Roster construct is redundant, but for me its Stones way of trying to find that elite level perimeter guy since that is the position that will have the most impact on a CHAMPIONSHIP team. Will it be Jalen? JC? Scooter? Sengun as a point forward? Who knows? Its too early to tell who will climb the totem, but what is known is that you need a bully perimeter type player like a Giannis or Lebron who can go get you a bucket when you need it the most or set up the winning basket. Thats what we should be trying to find. So we whiff on Jalen and he busts out - that would suck. At that point as a ROCKET fan I'd have to hope whoever we draft this year can be the alpha. Or JC is a hit. Or Sengun. Stone is throwing out all of his carnival rings at once hoping that ONE will land on the bottle and yet some of us need to see instant results for whatever reason during a year that most knew would be a throwaway.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no chance they are trading their best young player, and they shouldn't.

When it comes to tanking, that'll take care of itself, if we think the Rockets look bad now, just wait till after Gordon and Wood are traded. Also, with Cade Cunningham looking better and better, I could see the Pistons eventually passing the Rockets in the standings.

20. DaDakota

Green would need to be a LOT stronger to be that guy....KPJ is mentally erratic, JGup is showing signs of maybe being the best, and Nix is in the Mix...actually Nix might make it easier for all of them........

In the end, I am not sure we have that attacking perimeter player on our roster yet.....but if we can get a TRUE PG to set folks up that helps too.

DD