1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green Needs to be Benched

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 25, 2022.

1. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

He is blazing fast with the weight of a feather. Of course he will put up some weight in the next couple of years, but the most important thing he needs to earn the star status to get the star calls.
    We know how NBA refs are....

2. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

He is still only 19! He can add stuff in his bag in the off-season and put on some muscle.

Slumps are normal, even good players go through them.

don grahamleone and True Rocket like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

One of the reasons from the games i watched, is b/c fking Wood instead of drawing that defender (center) by being near the paint to threaten grabbing an offensive rebound, he's camp at the fking 3 point line allowing the defending big man to have more leeway.

So even if Green gets past his own defender he runs into the opposing big man and gets swatted like a fly.
    Green has his faults, but having a big man who doesn't want to play that role doesn't help.
    3 pointers? that's on green, need to hit the gym

4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This post should be titled “Bench Silas”. How can we expect our 2nd pick to develop when we need more development out of our coach? Tough playing in a lineup without a real point guard and a center who can’t pass and no basic offensive system but read and react (great for 19 year olds).

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

So basically if Jalen Green doesn’t average 20+ points on at least 45% shooting he’s a bust? Lmao. You can tell rockets fans haven’t developed a top pick in 20 years.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Disagree

Emtenndo likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Technically he is 48-49, has another 15 years.

Who outside of Houston or Sacramento would be handing him a head coach job and not an assistant one right now?

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think if you bench him, it will kill what confidence he has and it will be hard to get back. I think a better alternative is to shorten his minutes with the starters and increase his minutes with the 2nd unit. For example, instead of him playing 8 mins in the first qtr, make it 3 or 4, bring in Matthews and bring Green back at the start of the 2nd.

Plowman likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's disappointing that Green is not shooting the ball well right now and is also playing piss poor defense. Benching him wouldn't be the end of the world--either he uses it as a motivation tool to try and fix whatever needs to be fixed or he doesn't. If it's the former, great, we got a kid that is at least up to the challenge of being an NBA player. If it's the latter then that's rather unfortunate and we will need to look for another potential franchise player. That is not to say I'm giving up on the kid 32 games into his NBA career but if the reaction he's going to take in a benching is to sulk and play worse...well...that's never a good sign right?

Right now, his field goal percentage is 38.1%. Definitely not good in today's offensively skewed era. Notable players that started in the NBA (games played </= 33 games; FG% <40%) off of the same offensive slump:

Kevin Martin: 36.3% after 33 games
    Jason Kidd: 35.5%
    Anthony Edwards: 37%
    Bradley Beal: 37.5%
    James Harden: 38%
    Trae Young: 38.2%
    Jamal Murray 37.6%
    Tank Commander John Wall: 39.6%

Point is, I'm not concerned with his offense. The other end of the court is where concerns are starting to creep up. According to:

Fivethirtyeight's RAPTOR metric, Jalen Green has the 2nd worst defensive Overall RAPTOR score for defense and is only head of Doug McDermott among players playing at least 600 minutes.

82games has his counter part out producing him whenever he plays SG (6.4 PER vs opponents 18.5) or spends time at the PG (9.3 vs 19.1). The teams' defense is about a +10 better (Opponents are scoring 116.4 points per 100 possession when he's on the court; 106.4 when he's off).

Statfinder has is overall Box Plus Minus (offense and defense) at a -5.3 after 32 games. Other rookies in the past 40 years with a similar BPM after 32 games:

Darius Garland -6.0
    Emmanual Mundiay -6.0
    Collin Sexton -5.9
    Isaac Okoro -5.4
    Anthony Edwards -5.1
    Trae Young -4.4
    RJ Barrett -4.6

MarioKissoDeath and vator like this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He would definitely benefit playing with Sengun because of his ability to set a pick and make accurate and timely passes to cutters. Sengun also gets the Rockets running with his outlet passes. Wood is now hurting us on both sides of the floor. His numbers look good, but in the context of the team game he is weighing the rest of the team down. This year is about development and Wood, specifically, is holding many on our team back. KPJ has become a consistent 7-10 assist guy with a much lower TO rate. Christopher and KJM need more minutes and JG needs to run with the second unit. JG, KJM, Sengun, JC, Matthews would be an effective second unit until Wood is moved.

Emtenndo, cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  11. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think OP understands: we're not allowed to speak critically of Green. Wait, I mean we're not allowed to speak realistically about Green and his play. Many on this site just won't allow it. He's only 19, remember? Anything a 19 year old does you can just forgive because he or she is 19. Right?

I do think benching is a good idea. Green supposedly has a great work ethic, love of playing the game, desire to get better, and confidence. I think the benching would tell him he needs to be more cerebral about the game and learn new moves. He can't get by solely on athleticism, especially if the defender can predict what he's going to do with regularity. Put that work ethic to use and improve. Green can still get 20-30 minutes a game. He can also change his focus from just scoring to including rebounding, assists, and defense. Again, his defense is really bad.

If you don't bench him now, then will you ever be able to bench him? Many assume there will be a leap to greatness next year but that's not assured. I do not want to see a similar level of play a year from now and us asking this same question again. Sit him now so the message can be that he's young and needs to work on his game. Benching him a year from now would be much worse for his confidence, I think.

I think we can continue to tank with Green not starting, I'm not worried about that.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, he should come off the bench.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's a good point too about playing with Sengun.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's got to try to focus on impacting the game in other areas when his shot isn't falling. Instead it seems like he's pressing and just trying to shoot himself out of the slump.

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Some of you dont have the intestinal fortitude that will be required for this rebuild. What is this team winning this year? What does it gain by playing musical chairs with the lineup? Appease the fans? Those that have taken every shot at the kid from day 1 just waiting to be able to say "told ya I was right haha #Mobley for life" ?? (still riding the Mobley wave while Cade is going interstellar?).

Green is struggling. His legs are shot and you can see it on his face he lacks confidence and he's a shook kid. It is what it is. He will need to let them hang and fight through it which I will have the patience to see through without making declarations either way in year 1.

Pssss .. we're going to suck next year too. Start your coping mechanisms now!

YOLO, vator and steddinotayto like this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Kobe didnt play much because the Lakers were already good without him. We are one of the worst teams in the league. When you are tanking or naturally bad you play your rookies lots of minutes to help them develop. Its going to look ugly but they are going to get better. Actually I dont think the rookies on this team are getting enough minutes. We are going to have games like this but you shouldnt freak out. Our biggest problem right now is coaching the rookies are supposed to suck.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not sure we will suck next year. If we can somehow get a top 5 pick and pick up a Patrick Williams or Miles Turner while jettisoning Wood and Gordan for value we could easily make a 15-20 game improvement. A good defensive big, that can also set picks and finish at the rim would do wonders for this team.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bless your heart my guy!

We
    Will
    Suck

Prepare your mind for that eventuality and you can look for the silver linings and baby steps of progress. I started that therapy train last year!

edit: I see this team making the playoffs in 2024 at the earliest.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I can't even remember the last time I saw JOFs popping off.

Insert itsbeen84years.gif

20. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

He needs use more "stop and pop" and "tear drop". He is too predictable right now. The guards just close him out hard and the big is waiting for him inside to challeng his layups.