1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kid didn't wanna be here. According to rumors at least. No one knows how Mobley will turn out. Dude could put on weight and develop foot issues. Who knows? Way too early.

He looks great though and I think Allen and Love also play a part in that.

2. dmoneybangbang

No we aren't. The owner decided to go for a full rebuild. Taking the picks instead of Simmons or another "top 30" means we are rebuilding in the near term with our own picks while having the Nets picks in the medium to long term.

Allen was a miss, but I don't know if Tilman would have resigned him for $100 mil. Would we have tried to flip Allen before the 2021 deadline? LaVert is an oft injured shooting guard on a $18 mil contract, pretty much a younger, injury prone EG, who we've been trying to move for years.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, doesn't a player have to play well at some point before you can say they "hit the rookie wall"?

He's had maybe a handful of solid to good games out of the 30 something he's played. It would seem he hit that wall almost immediately.

I'm not really concerned either, but not because I'm excusing him looking like trash on some "rookie wall". I expected him to look terrible, he's an insanely raw rookie, so I always fully expected it to take quite a while before Green was any good....if he's ever any good. It's similar to when Clint Capela started out. He looked TERRIBLE at first, Green is the same.

4. dmoneybangbang

Maybe Mobley's camp saw the roster and was like "nope".

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

His defense has improved ..... considerably.

He gives effort on both ends .... just gets bullied on defense.

I didn't realize his shooting numbers were that bad these past few games until reading the last couple pages of this thread. 6/40 over the last 3 contests? that's .15? Terrible!! Odds are he improves back to the ~.30 he's shot most of the year.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - maybe but who cares, you draft the BPA - which was Mobley.......and it is not like we don't need height, we are the Oompa Loompas of the NBA....we already had a developing SG in KPJ and several others of similar height.

It was obvious you take the 7 foot multidimensional player - over the 19 year old kid who was meh in the Gleague.

Our front office went for shiny object instead of quality scouting.....does not bode well..

DD

D-rock and zeeshan2 like this.
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His biggest strength from what I've seen is his speed, specifically his first step. It feels like he can get past his defender off the dribble any time he wants. Not a lot of guys can do that. The problem is that he has no bag, no layup package whatsoever, so once he beats his man off the dribble he just takes a straight line into the rim protector and it rarely works out for him. He's got to figure out how to capitalize there - there are a lot of options here. He can develop some moves like a euro step, he can learn some acrobatic ways to finish around his defender, or he can learn the Harden way which is to take advantage of the space the offensive player is entitled to and force guys to foul you. But in my opinion this should be his top priority, he has to figure out how to take advantage of that lightning first step.

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

That's what everyone thinks, but the reality is his FATHER didn't want him to be here. His father coached KPJ at USC and saw first hand what Mobley would've had to deal with his rookie year. Mobley could've been talked into coming here but the reality is the front office was fixated on Green the minute they obtained the #2 pick. Especially Tilman and Jr. There wasn't ever some big "I don't wanna go to Houston" with Mobley like there was with Kristaps and Philly, for example. He simply passed on the workout. The rest is all made up and overblown

D-rock and Clutch City1993 like this.
  9. Clutch City1993

I agree with BPA

But not if they won't even grant you a private workout. Screw em.

#2349 Clutch City1993, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  10. Clutch City1993

This is definitely the word going around and no one likes a daddy's boy.

I wish him well though. I have no hate towards Evan nor Jalen for sucking ass recently

11. dmoneybangbang

The FO did what they did, no need to keep crying over spilt milk. They also identified and drafted Sengun and Christopher so I don't think it's necessarily a serious defect in talent evaluation. KPJ or any of the other guard vets shouldn't preclude you from drafting Green if you thought that was the BPA. Plus, we are at the beginning stages of a rebuild so you shouldn't assume KPJ, EG, Augustin, and Nwaba are going to be around. And actually the Rockets wanted KPJ to play PG this season....

Let's not play the hindsight game, there wasn't widespread consternation among the NBA when we took Green #2 or much of any murmurs of Green going outside the top 5 before the lottery selection. He's been scouted and picked apart throughout the entire process.

Corrosion and Clutch City1993 like this.
  12. riko

riko Member

The kid Wagner in Orlando and even Suggs look better. Not even mentioning Mobley who is way better . Cade Cunningham has been underwhelming to much like Green. The Pacers also got a potentially good one .Sengun is the saving grace of Stones draft

D-rock likes this.
  13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I mean, when your dad is a respectable coach at a school as big as USC, it'd make sense to listen to him if he has something to say about basketball. I don't think KPJ + Green is more valuable than Mobley, or especially Mobley + Allen if we would've held on to him. If that was truly the deciding factor, it's a fumble for the Rockets front office. Can't let daddy make the decisions.

D-rock and Clutch City1993 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

None of these guys are particularly proven at 19, one and done in the NCAA or GLeague - they are far from finished products & teams draft them based upon predictions of what they will be in 3-4 years, not what they are today.

With these 19 year old kids it's really difficult to predict if they will even be in the league in 3-4 years much less that they turn into stars or not .... no matter where they are drafted.

It's all about potential and Green has / had that in spades even if he isn't playing well.

Let's hope for the team's sake that he puts it all together sooner than later.

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Cade had 34 8 and 8 or something close to that tonight. Not underwhelming at all, just an injury riddled rookie season.

*Okay I shouldn't say AT ALL, because he is the #1 pick. Maybe slightly underwhelming but still very encouraging

D-rock and riko like this.
  16. Clutch City1993

If Sengun and Christopher end up being ballers and Green ends up the 3&D glue guy then whatever. I like all of them.

And Tate. And KJ. Pretty much everybody except CW lol

BigggReddd and Corrosion like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You don't need a workout if you have done your homework and scouting.

When talent is close, always ALWAYS go for the taller player....

DD

D-rock likes this.
  18. Clutch City1993

Agreed

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. Clutch City1993

Scouting teams are so critical in all of sports.

We may (and this is a huge may) have missed with Jalen down the line but may have found something with KPJ, Sengun and Christopher.

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I've always felt that he'd be a better player if he modeled his style more after Klay than after the LaVine's and Beal's of the world. Nobody would be able to keep up with Jalen Green running off screens and up until a couple weeks ago his jumpshot was his best asset.

Bo6 likes this.