1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So ROY or bust? Bold take there buddy

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

That's a bit hyperbolic....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Contending? No, but the team wouldn't be tanking for another shot at getting it right.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I find it hard to hold "missing on Green" against Stone.

Green was the overwhelming #2 choice for most scouts and damn near everyone else.

Even though I preferred Barnes on draft night, I didn't come to that realization until the last week or so, prior to that I was in the Green camp.

I have seen progress, even if others haven't so, I haven't given up hope on the kid ... he's awful young but appears to work hard and is teachable. I think we have to give him 2-3 years before we give up / call him a bust & his contract allows for that with team options for years 3 & 4.

It's been a rough year for the whole damn team .... Let's see how he looks in year two.

5. Clutch City1993

Would have loved the Philly package but Harden wanted BKN.

This franchise will he hurting for years thanks to the WB, Wall and Harden deals.

Evan Mobley doesn't fix that. Seems like he is also in a good situation playing with quality veteran big men.

6. Clutch City1993

Dang. So right outside 8th seed maybe? Boy we sure missing out.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Too early. Or too early not.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is the problem, most scouts, GMs and everyone else is clueless...what is your role as a gm if you just do what everyone else would do in your place

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know. About 1 month before the draft Mobley was the consensus #2. So you still have to ask the question, what did you learn that you did not know in that month that would cause a flip in draft position. Where you foolish on a highlight reel. Where you foolish on the media binge watch? Or did you see something. And right now, it's looking like we were foolish.

D-rock and blue_eyed_devil like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course you hold him accountable, this is literally his job. Who cares if you, or "scouts",or some sports blogger, or a writer at espn or bleacher report or whatever had him penciled in at the #2 pick, that's totally irrelevant. These guys are paid 7 figure salaries to get it right, they should know better than us, or anyone posting their opinion online, and they should get it right. If they don't get it right, they have to be held accountable. You absolutely should hold it against him if Green doesn't pan out. We aren't there yet - don't misconstrue this as me saying it's already been decided. But if it does end up being a miss/bust, Stone should certainly be blamed.

D-rock, mikenm268 and DaDakota like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, how terrible would it be for the Rockets tanking to be over and their core for the future already showing promise.

It's much better now with their top pick being one of the worst players on their team and one of the worst rookies in the entire class.

Seeing the guy they wasted the #2 pick on being outplayed by 2 other 19 year old rookies on the same team is really fun. The fact that the team would be better if they gave their top drafted rookie's minutes to Garrison Mathews, a guy who was on his way out of the league before this season started, is fun.

Knowing that their likely is a better player named Green down in RGV who was completely out of the league when the season started is fun.

Look, this isn't the place to talk about rookies who are better than Jalen Green, but if you force that conversation, it won't be one you enjoy.

Let's just sit back and hope one day he turns into a quality player rather than rehashing the decisions made in the draft. There's nothing we can do about it now, and honestly, that's a depressing conversation.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If you ask me Christopher looked better than Green from the summer league on.

Makes you wonder where Christopher would be if he got the same opportunities/ minutes / greenlight.

Downtown Sniper and CXbby like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Clutch City1993

I dont remember this at all. Especially during Mobley's March Madness games. Green was a very trendy name to talk about. Cade would slowly become the clear #1 moving into the draft.

There was never a general consensus in mock drafts 1 month prior to the draft at the #2 spot

Corrosion likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I mean we have unprotected nets picks but it only works if the nets implode which could happen but we are putting all our eggs in that basket. I didn’t get not getting levert nor Allen from that deal

D-rock likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Based on what? We'd be a bottom 10 team instead of a bottom 3 team?

17. Clutch City1993

A 19 year old kid hitting a rookie wall is nothing to be concerned about. Im more concerned about our coaching staff and puppet GM

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea but Mobley is going to be an all nba player for a while and he’s going to make the all defensive team as a rookie already. That’s what separates both of them; Mobley has another side to him; he’s not just known for his scoring like Green

D-rock likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the team having a much more solid core with that move.

You'd be getting rid of the worst defensive player on your team, and replacing them with a rim protecting lockdown defender. With Mobley drafted instead of Green, you'd have Wall playing as well, so you'd have

Mobley
    Wood
    Tate
    KPJ
    Wall

That's significantly better than what they have now.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The problem right now is that he can’t shoot, he can’t get to the basket, and he doesn’t defend well. He’s a wreck. I do think he will come out of it and become a good player one day, but right now he’s pretty terrible at basketball.