1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets open to trading John Wall for Russell Westbrook if incentivized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2022.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Trading a Harden coming off of an MVP win would have netted us a TON.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

And the wrong response.

The better and correct response was PATIENCE. Improve around the 2 instead.

Like Morey and D'Antoni both preached.

Both strongly believed a Harden-CP3 pairing would win a ring.

But Tilly got cold feet and rest was history.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/...russell-westbrook-rumors-frank-vogel-all-star

Hours after ESPN published Woj’s story on Westbrook, Marc Stein reported on his Substack that the Rockets would be open to trading John Wall to the Lakers for Westbrook and their 2027 first-round pick. An all-time great NFL divisional weekend helped overshadow Stein’s report, but it’s noteworthy that there’s one team interested in acquiring Russ if the Lakers decide to hit the emergency evacuation button. Wall and Westbrook were swapped for each other last season. Another Wall-for-Westbrook trade would be objectively hilarious, but it would also be an extreme idea for Los Angeles considering that Wall has barely played in two years. Westbrook is better today because he’s also available. No one knows how effective or healthy Wall would be.

Having said that, the Lakers, who are sitting at 23-24 and in eighth place in the West, need to shake up this roster. They’re calling teams offering a future first, Kendrick Nunn, and Talen Horton-Tucker, who has underwhelmed this season, and no one is biting yet. Stein says they offered that package to Detroit for Jerami Grant. The Lakers’ problem is THT just isn’t valued highly enough by teams and that 2027 pick is a long time from conveying. Even if the reported Westbrook-for-Wall trade doesn’t happen, it does at least indicate that Houston has interest in exploring a potential trade.

The Lakers should also have reliable intel about Wall’s condition, considering their relationship with Klutch Sports, the agency that represents Wall and the team’s two biggest stars: LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Klutch and the Lakers have an aligned interest: Put LeBron in the best position to win. And Klutch must put Wall in the best situation to resurrect his career. In theory, Rich Paul and Pelinka can be totally honest with each other about Wall’s fit with the Lakers.

One interesting hypothetical: What if the deal was instead Westbrook, Horton-Tucker, and a future first for Wall and Eric Gordon? The Lakers don’t have many other ways of sweetening the deal if Houston needed more. As discussed in the next section, Gordon should have lots of suitors as the most undervalued player currently on the trade market. He could provide the Lakers with perimeter scoring and strong point-of-attack defense. Gordon is a better overall fit on the Lakers than Westbrook. So is Wall, if healthy, because of his more attentive defense and his superior spot-up shooting. It’s something worth considering if the Rockets can’t find anything better for Gordon, and if the Lakers can’t find anything better with their pick and THT.

For now, the Lakers need Westbrook to practice what he preached to Woj by taking on a new role to see whether he can make it work. Russ is capable of change because every person can change. All of us can develop new habits and adapt to make the most of new circumstances. And Westbrook has started to reel it back a bit, averaging his fewest field goal attempts since his second year in the league.

Meanwhile, LeBron is attempting 20.9 shots per game, his most since the 2007-08 season. He’s becoming the scorer the Lakers need while Westbrook shoots less. But less might not be enough. Vogel will likely be the first scapegoat, but Westbrook is the next problem that needs to be fixed.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The problem I have with that is why on earth would we want Horton-Tucker? He's a shooting guard who has underperformed. Heck, he was a 2nd round pick in his draft who's currently hitting about 25% of his 3's. We'd be doing LA a favor by simply taking the guy off their hands, and for Eric freakin' Gordon? I have to laugh!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need picks.
    Lakers will have to come off some to improve.

Rocket River

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Believe it or not, THT or Horton is one of the only young assets they have left next to draft picks.

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Westbrook, 2027 & 2028 first round picks, 2023 or 2024 second round pick for Wall and EG.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just listened to bit of this Lakers fan meetup thing on Twitter, and boy that’s some kind of fan base. One things for sure though… I don’t know if the positives that Lebron brings a team are worth the drama.

That’s besides the point though because they seem to have more hope in Wayne Ellington making a difference than they are potentially John Wall and as pathetic as that sounds, it’s hard to disagree with them when you think about it.

I don’t think we are getting anything better than a second round pick for trading Wall for Russ. I mean I would prefer that over just buying Wall out but Tillman probably thinks differently.

Most likely scenario seems to be that they keep him till July and but him out before preseason if there’s no takers in a draft night or free agency trade.

jim1961, D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The trade is ridiculous. Scratch the 1st rounder bc that is the price for taking Westbrook. It would make no sense for the Rockets to trade Wall straight up. The drama and bad press the Rockets would have for sitting Westbrook would make Jimmy Butler's end in Minnesota look cordial. So, basically THT straight up for EG would be the trade. It makes no sense, I'd rather have a future 2nd rounder.

Deckard likes this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that did not make any sense. The only way the Rockets do Wall for Westbrook is to get that 2027 FRP. They should expect an even better FRP for Gordon alone, so there is no way they combine two separate deals that should each net a FRP for a single pick and an underperforming player whose only value is that he's not on a minimum contract (which becomes a negative value in this situation).

Now, because Wall and Westbrook's contracts are pretty much identical, I would certainly look into the trade of those two for the 2027 pick. I don't value the pick itself very much, but I do like having that additional asset to sweeten any other deal that Stone might be working on. While I don't see Westbrook playing the part of a good soldier and riding the pine the way Wall does, I think Westbrook might actually opt out of the final year in order to latch on somewhere else. I would be surprised if he didn't feel like he's got enough years left that he could recoup it on a team that suits him a little better.

#230 theDude, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Deckard likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

The FRP is for taking Russ off their hands. Paperwork for that large contract swap is extra work. Front Office don't need it unless compensated. It's not a charity here.

Taking THT (overpaid) for Gordon is highway robbery. Only angle I can muster is the rumor can make other GMs more serious at their offers for Eric. Send those FRP offers.

Stone should remember there's only so many "Vets" we have that people actually want. Once you trade that chip, it's gone.

MarioKissoDeath, jim1961 and Deckard like this.
  12. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

and what did Harden do? He took his ball and ran out of town once the $hit hit the fan, but can’t blame him if there are dummies at the top who ok’d it and what did one of them do? He bailed also.

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d do the move to do right by Gordon and get that 2027 first. I really think it will be a top 5 pick. Lakers are screwed in 5 years.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I actually think the deal has a good chance to happen and I think if the Rockets buyout Brodie completely for the rest of the season he will waive his player option to go to Clippers immediately. He NEEDS to stay in LA. He probably thinks he can get the mid level exception there or some clever step up Bird deal down the line.

I think all of the wanting Brodie to be a good boy is about Pelinka trying to buy time to make a better deal but there are no deals. They shot their load at Jerami Grant and Pistons laughed at them. Their pieces just are worthless. Bron has been in Paul's ear who has told Pelinka to get Wall just like what happened with Davis. It's so blatantly obvious. If this goes down I will LMAO. If we also jettison Gordon it will be a whole new future. We can then churn bad deals for assets or have two max slots.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know. Ain't it weird? We're seeing the decline and fall, at least for a few seasons, of one of the storied franchises of the NBA. They have to know it, and they have to be desperate. Right now, the Lakers have absolutely no chance in seriously competing for a title. Heck, getting into or past the 1st round. They aren't fooling anyone, and LeBron's time is running out.

I can't think of any other way for them to toss Westbrook aside and get a player who can actually fit pretty well, providing much of what they thought they might have received in their delusional fantasy from Russ, than the Rockets and John Wall. It would be nice to get Gordon to the Lakers along with Wall, taking Westbrook (god help us) in the process. I have to admit that doing a solid for Eric like that would be a feel good thing.

So what do we get for Gordon? Come up with not only that Lakers 1st in '27, with minimal or no protection, but also something else of value to compensate us for Eric, perhaps from a team that needs a player like Wood to make a playoff run. I'm not sure what that might be, preferably another pick/pick swap, maybe a talented young point guard, or both. If we keep KPJ, I'm still not convinced that he's the answer at the one. I think he might be at the 3. We don't need another shooting guard, that's for sure, not with Green and Christopher, in my opinion. Not sure who might like to get involved in something like that. Just spit balling.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way Brodie gives up $47M, no freaking way. He isn't exactly convincing other GMs that he is the last piece to the puzzle to even pay him mid level money. This is Brodie's likely last big deal in the NBA. He has looked that freaking bad this season. Who knows, maybe money doesn't matter to him and he really gives up $47M to play on a minimum contract next season, but I sure as hell don't see that happening.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Screw Stein and his hypothetical. No way I would give Gordon to the Fakers. I want them to burn to the ground.

jim1961 likes this.
  19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

He will not play for the min next season but he would take min to play for Clips rest of this season.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The Fakers may not even make the playoffs no matter what they do lol.