1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic - Kelly Iko] Rockets Trade Deadline notebook 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 24, 2022.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s just dumb when the organization releases obviously lies in a clearly poor attempt to up offers.

Remember when Oladipo had multiple offers of a 1st and prospect young player?

Expirings and a pick swap that we wouldn’t even use right now (zero value). That was such an egregious fail I kind of want the team to just stfu this year

BigMaloe, sydmill, Mr Woods and 7 others like this.
  2. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

All organizations do this and it works 60% of the time. That ain't dumb. That's business...

red5rocket, burlesk and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don’t think it’s a lie with Gordon . We don’t wanna / won’t move him if the best offer we get is subpar .

burlesk likes this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lame ass bluff!... They know damn well they can't get the offer they want so they threatening to keep him.... They're actually threatening the fans by saying we're content with being bad but bad enough to get a top 4 pick

D-rock likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe the Rockets actually would want to keep Gordon past the deadline. It will cost us lottery positioning and we'll get less for him in the future. The benefit he's shown the youngsters is already there. And now the organization can show how it rewards loyalty and a great work ethic by sending him to a contender where he deserves to be.

Of course what else would the Rockets say except that the haven't gotten a great offer and maybe they will keep him - after all, that's exactly what you would say to drive up the bids and get more. The trade deadline is still a few weeks away so plenty of time to be patient and get a better deal.

But yeah, if EG is here after the trade deadline, it's a massive fail. I have to think the Rockets brass knows this.

Mathloom, ThrillaNManilla and Jontro like this.
  6. Milos

Milos Member

Somehow he is having his best year in HOU on the worst roster of teammates since he arrived

Ultimate case of selling high has somehow aligned with his value to the team a pure trade bait

Stone will get a decent FFRP and expiring(s) at least

Plowman likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Wall Westbrook deal would be the most talked about.......and the subsequent buyout.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not entirely coincidence.

But let's look at two key factors

1. He's healthy (pain free) for the first time in a while
    2. He's super motivated to play his way onto a contender

I think number 2 is a big one as he knows the better he plays, the more other teams will want him.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Gordon wants to be traded, the Rockets are going to trade him.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is smart to try to drive up the bidding war as the deadline approaches. I’m a Gordon fan but there’s zero benefit to him being here after the deadline.

He’s already set the example as a professional now it’s time to flip him for an asset or two while opening up more minutes for our young guards.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

I wish he had been super motivated like this in the WCF vs Warriors when the team was 0-27 or whatever from 3

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Get your facts straight - it was 0-71!

13. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

It isn’t true.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Audioout

Audioout Member

No deal imminent? Must already be under the luxury tax then.

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

In addition the pick is likely to move us up 1 spot, if any at all. Heat and Nets have similar records last I looked. Could have been worse though, could have kept Oladipo and maxed him.

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it lame? Transparent sure, but is there an organization that doesn't do this? Every trade is a compromise between the two team's starting points. I would be concerned if our front office didn't try to elevate our players' value.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

And I’ll say one more thing ..

In the “downside” scenario of him still getting hurt , that opens up playing time for green/jc or kmj and Tate / sengun .

If no one is giving us a good offer . Then we can roll the dice again next year and he will be on an expiring no ?

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right now the Heat have a better record then the Nets, we wouldn’t exercise that option if season ended today. Could change of course

withmustard likes this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem appears to be where they are setting the line for par. Only contending teams are going to trade for Gordon, so the picks they offer are going to be in the 20s. The holdup may be the players being attached for salary matching. There might be some ability to negotiate there. But when Eric Gordon is having what is likely the best year of his career at age 33 on a team going nowhere, it is criminal not to move him. You have no idea what he's going to look like next year. The market could very likely not exist due to poor performance or injury. Ask for a hard worker and good locker room guy as part of the filler.

snowconeman22 and peleincubus like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I really do actually want Gordon to stay. 'Twas not a joke thread. I am the serious.

Rockets have probably received 10 offers of the lowball variety on Gordon though. I'm going to be actually sad to see him go but I'm happy to see Stone posturing against the lowballs. Gordon is happy making 20 million dollars, guaranteed. Rockets have probably promised to pick up his last year team option if it comes to it. They've given him every reason to stay except winning a chip which honestly, I don't think is live-or-die important to every player like it seems to be with some fans.

Definitely looking for that 1st, especially since it means we're probably taking on some garbage contract. Moving on from Gordon's contract isn't really an issue while we enjoy having him on the squad, so even an expiring isn't really greasing the wheels.

As for Wall, if the Lakers offer a 3027 1st and Westbrook that's a ****ing deal. Literal found money. Zero reason to say no to 2027 1st.