1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This story sounds a bit odd to me. Choking covid death with back pain and death within 10 minutes. Maybe a covid stroke or blood clot but some details seem to be lacking.

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Covid blood clot dropped my neighbor in the driveway 1.5 years ago.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...and here come the boomer memes

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I lol'd

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

From a policy standpoint (vax mandate), that has been my opinion. From an individual and collective immunity, there is so much grey...

I think this article does a great job on the nuance at that level - how much immunity are you getting from vaccine, from infection, from booster, from both... ? I include a full paragraphs below but it's worth reading the whole thing.

Will Omicron Leave Most of Us Immune?
    January 21, 2022, 7 AM ET

Collective immunity is the key to ending a pandemic. But its building blocks start with each individual. By now we know that immunity against the coronavirus isn’t binary—and while no one can yet say exactly how much more protection Person A (triple vaxxed, recently infected) might have than Person B (twice infected, once vaxxed) or Person C (once infected, never vaxxed), we have figured out some of the broad trends that can toggle susceptibility up or down. Allowing for shades of gray, a person’s current immune status hinges on “the number of exposures [to the spike protein], and time since last exposure,” John Wherry, an immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania, told me. Infections and vaccinations add protection; time erodes it away.

Part of this boils down to relatively basic arithmetic. Each exposure to SARS-CoV-2’s spike protein, whether through injection or infection, can be expected to build iteratively on the quantity, quality, and durability of the body’s defenses The more intensely and more frequently the body is bothered, the more resources it will invest to fend off that same threat. While a duo of vaccines, for instance, isn’t enough to reliably guard against less severe Omicron cases, a trio of shots seems to do the trick for most. It also pays to pace encounters judiciously. Crowd the second and third too close together, for instance, and the latter’s effect may be blunted; a several-months-long wait, meanwhile, can supercharge the body’s response by allowing immune cells sufficient time to mull what they’ve learned.

The contents of an exposure can matter too, though immunologists still debate the protective merits of tossing a dangerous, bona fide virus into the mix. Infections can blitz a smorgasbord of proteins from a currently circulating variant into the airway, tickling out immune defenses that in-the-arm, spike-centric vaccines don’t reliably rouse—but they can also, you know, cause COVID, and leave wildly inconsistent levels of protection behind. “It’s really not worth the risk,” Taia Wang, an immunologist at Stanford, told me. Those who already have both types of spike exposures in their history, though, seem to reap some of the relative benefits of each—the two stimuli synergize, and patch each other’s gaps. Post-vaccination Omicron infections, in particular, could awaken immune cells that didn’t respond to the original-recipe spike, broadening the range of defenders available for future fights.

Neither virus-induced immunity nor vaccine-induced immunity against infection seems to last terribly long, however. (Protection against severe disease, at least, has been quite a bit more stubborn, and some experts hold out hope that additional doses or infections might eventually get our defenses against milder cases to hold as well.) For now, people who have logged only a solo encounter with SARS-CoV-2’s spike, or are many months away from their last viral brush, can reasonably assume that they’re vulnerable to infection again. The fewer past brushes with spike, the speedier that relapse will be, too. Responses might be especially ephemeral in certain people, including older or immunocompromised individuals, whose immune systems aren’t easily tickled by vaccines.

But it’s not always obvious why people respond differently to the same viruses or shots. Even within a demographic group, “some people generate really robust responses, and others just never do,” Wang told me. Projections based on a vaccine dosing schedule, or someone’s infection history, aren’t a surefire bet. All of this underlies, then, the massive disconnect between previously exposed and currently protected, Joshua Salomon, a health-policy researcher at Stanford who’s collaborating with Pitzer to model Omicron’s immunological impact, told me. Salomon, Pitzer, and their colleagues estimate that although a significant majority of Americans had rendezvoused with the spike protein by October’s end, fewer than half were still reasonably well guarded against a future infection. (Most retained resilience against severe disease.) People who enter the “well defended” group can also exit it, and join the susceptibles again.

No Worries likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a friend die of an embolism in his lung back in 2007 and yes it can happen very fast.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I love Willie and I thought that was pretty funny.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That's what we're guessing. She's my cousin and I love her, but she's also a dummy for not being vaccinated. Several other people in her circle caught it at the same time, but they were all vaccinated so recovered within 3-5 days with flu like symptoms. We actually don't know if she had Delta or Omicron. The seriousness and timeliness of it sort of points to Delta (she basically caught it a week or two before Omicron exploded in the US when Delta was still the primary disease), but the fact that everybody around her got it sort of makes it sound like Omicron.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had a friend who caught it after visiting relatives for Christmas. Everyone that went to the gathering caught it. Apparently it later came out one member of the family had it but assumed it was allergies when it started and didn't tell anyone until later, so the gathering went forward. It also later came out she'd been getting ivermectin, but that's another story that's causing rumblings in the family (lol). Long story short, my friend and her 2 kids all eventually tested positive, but she tested negative initially even after symptoms showed up. She waited another few days and tested again and it came back positive. She and one of her sons both had the usual "hit by a truck" reaction to it, but they also lost their sense of smell and taste for several days. That son wasn't vaccinated but she was vaccinated (J&J) but didn't get a booster. Her 2nd son, who was vaccinated (Moderna), eventually caught it last -- several days (a week or so?) after everybody else caught it even though he had been around all of them during the entire time, but he seems to be doing ok now. He never lost sense of smell or taste.

Weird virus indeed.

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

With New Omicron Variant You’re More Likely to Catch Covid Again

Kanoko Matsuyama
    February 1, 2022, 12:56 AM EST
    Bloomberg.com

New studies are emerging that suggest the latest version of the highly-infectious omicron variant is transmitting even faster than the original, and mild cases of the first may not offer much protection against future infections.

The findings cast doubt on hopes that the wave of omicron that’s sweeping the world may help hasten the end of the pandemic. Calls for governments to treat Covid-19 as endemic like influenza are rising globally as people grow tired of pandemic restrictions, vaccines become more accessible and deaths remain relatively low.

The production of neutralizing antibodies during an omicron infection appears related to the severity of the illness, according to one report from researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, that was published online before being peer-reviewed. The milder form of most omicron cases in vaccinated people may leave those who recover from them still vulnerable to existing virus and future variants that emerge, the researchers said.

The protection from a natural infection was about one-third that obtained through a booster shot, the study found.

“Our results suggest that omicron-induced immunity may not be sufficient to prevent infection from another, more pathogenic variant, should it emerge in the future,” the researchers said. “They also highlight the continued importance of vaccine boosters in enhancing immunity, as breakthrough infection alone may not be reliable” in protecting against repeat infections or future illness from new strains, they said.

More Contagious
    The second study found a second-generation form of omicron appears even more transmissible than the original.

It showed 39% of people infected with a the BA.2 subvariant were likely to infect others in their households, compared with 29% of those who were carrying the original version. The study analyzed data gathered from 8,541 households in December and January in Denmark, where the new subvariant has become the dominant strain.

The risk of infection with either type was higher in those who were unvaccinated, underlining a positive effect of vaccination, the investigators said.

Continued...

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Should speak volumes for today.

#13112 Roscoe Arbuckle, Feb 1, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't need to watch it to know that the Left 'lost' by being a bunch of p*****s.

BTW, there is a D&D Coronavirus thread.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Three months sounds like the min you're getting after an infection or vaccination..seems to mutate like crazy

He has to take a breathalyzer to post in the DnD

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is one reason why natural infection is a crap shoot and shouldn't be a deliberate substitute for vaccination.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I agree. I learned yesterday two close family friends just lost their parents because they were unwilling to get vaccinated. Their deaths could have been prevented, but... politics. My niece's father (early fifties, thin & a former athlete) is also apparently quite sick now with COVID. Coincidentally, wouldn't you know it, he too is unvaxxed. SMH.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Did that at any point make you laugh?

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Damn very sorry for your friends to lose their parents.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Here's my skepticism, kids:

First, my mom gets a flu shot every year and gets the flu every year, so I needed to see a lot of data before I was going to take it. You can't say 2-6 week lockdown to slow the spread, and then later on, say we all are still at risk. I've been around thousands of people these past two years. Not even a head cold.

Second, and far more consequential. I took Chantix to stop smoking over 12 years ago. My dad was so impressed he decided to take it as well, and so we both quit. He had Stage 4 lung cancer less than 3 years later and obviously passed.

Product was an FDA approved drug from Pfizer, who removed it ENTIRELY last September after a decade long study showed it increased cancer cell growth. And this was after a long, thorough FDA study before it came out, unlike the vaccine.

I still have no idea why people are still pushing it. After that Pfizer study, I will NEVER do it. And that isn't anti-vax. That is data.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/stop...tix-due-to-potential-cancer-causing-impurity/

Turbo likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anybody in here suffering symptoms from "long haul" covid? How long, what types of symptoms and did anything you do help with those symptoms? Asking for a friend who has bizarre symptoms like always smelling cigarette smoke, bad headaches, and her tongue always feels like it's been burned. This is a month or two after having had the disease. Did they eventually go away or are you still suffering from them?