1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Not a talent scout but is #2 draft pick supposed to have single digit PER?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Jan 19, 2022.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Howdy Clutchfans.

First off, I want to be perfectly clear and up front: I am not an NBA talent scout nor have I ever been employed by the NBA in any capacity. I may well be missing something, so I apologize in advance if this question seems silly. So here goes:

Jalen Green is currently sitting at 9.96 PER. Is a single-digit PER normal and expected for a #2 draft pick? Would the Rockets draft him over again knowing how he would perform? Or is it low enough to put him in the "draft bust" category? If not, how low would it need to be to concede he is a bust? Are we looking for a sub-5 PER before we label him?

My thinking is, it's lower than Danuel House in his rookie year, and it probably wasn't worth the #2 pick to get Daniel House numbers.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

When Kobe was 19 something something something

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need a graph to fully illustrate this.

Emtenndo, Corrosion, Swapshop and 9 others like this.
  4. DreamR

DreamR Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Something something something Kobe something something something Anthony Edwards something something something Zach Lavine something something something it's all KPJ's fault something something something it's all Silas fault.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  6. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

He has a lot to learn. I really wish he had a veteran point guard to help set him up for better shots. He is not a bust, but lots of other rookies are definitely more nba ready.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There's a reason y u aren't a talent scout.
    At least wait a season or so if u want to use per to sht on a rookie/put him in the bust category.

It's like giving someone an f before they even finished the test.

Bump this thread near the end if u want to have a more reasonable assessment of green.

#7 DatRocketFan, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I agree totally!

You're NOT a talent scout!!!

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yes, the reason is that the median NBA scout salary is $31,000 and I'd rather make 10x that as an attorney and post hot takes on Clutchfans.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

just saying folks usually wait a season or two to put rookies in the bust catergory.

Attempting to utilize Green PER right now, compared to past rookies who had complete season to wonder if he's a bust is quite unfair.

Like i said what u are doing is the equivalent of a teacher failing a student before the year is done.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Watch the games and you’ll know if he is bust or not. You don’t need to look at his PER for that.

javal_lon and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There is a thing called growth. Green may be the worst basketball player ever drafted top 5. We can't know that yet. If it ends up being true, you will all get your internet prognostication ribbons. Until then, there's no point in discussing the future of a first year player with any kind of certainty.

Might at least be nominally productive and more interesting to talk about ways he could improve. After all, we are here because we want to see the franchise succeed.

conquistador#11 and DatRocketFan like this.
  13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I’m sorry you have to work long hours as an attorney but still make so little. Maybe we can start a GoFundMe so you have time to actually make a graph.

IvanLCPM, Dankstronaut and Timein like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh man, thank you so much for creating this thread. Suck in all the haters here so they stop following us into the JGE thread.

All this stat is telling you is that when Jalen Green joined the NBA, his on ball game was raw and his off ball game non-existent. So they decided to SET ASIDE HIS ON BALL GAME and start with OFF BALL fundamentals Spurs-style and teach him how to shoot when open, pass off quickly, help defense, man defense, transition efficiency. What every old fan wishes every young kid knew how to do, they are building him up from scratch.

He was without question one of the worst players in the NBA at this part of the basketball game they carved out for him to develop temporarily. That's what the stat is telling you. It's telling you the exact thing that triggered the Rockets to work on that part of his game.

He is NOT going to be a catch and shoot player in his career. They just want to make him average there so he doesn;t have to lean on his USG so heavily like a James Harden. Like Kawhi, they will round his game out and channel his raw talent. Btw, as a side note, F the Spurs and especially Ginobody.

Losing teams have lowered ceilings, so you look at their PER according to their team rather than the league. Christian Wood is 18.5, highest on the Rockets, lowest of any team leader in the NBA. Tate is 15. KPJ is 11.5. When your team sucks, the PERs suck. The same players would have higher PERs on almost any other team.

The stats don't lie and you don't have to be a stats worshipper or a pessimist to understand them.

I think our strategy is HIGHLY likely to show a rough start but we will be thankful that we didn't ignore this part of his game. Once you start contending for playoffs you can't do this anymore. Silas for all his faults is doing this one thing very wisely.

After all, Jalen is obviously the next Kobe Bryant.

*jets out of the thread*

#14 Mathloom, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol relying on PER to judge players is just foolish.....................Javale McGee is a top 10 player in the NBA if we just go by PER

MC31B likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Green has a bad game and the haters come out of hiding lmao. Pathetic

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that doubts Jalen Green, should recognize that they are agreeing with JCDenton. JCDenton, the line graph guy. They should then go look in the mirror and reassess what they are watching.

Not worried about JG in the slightest. It is still KPJ that I am pulling for the most because I know it is just a matter of time until JG gets there.

#18 RudyTBag, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I use PER mostly for role players that play limited minutes.

Jazz lost....howdy n good night!

Trackwell likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The only path forward I can (personally) imagine Jalen being more than a bench player is if he can start shooting like Curry.

Here's to hope