1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Major

Major Member

When both guys are playing 38-40 minutes out of a 48 minute game and only can have 10 or fewer minutes without the other also on the court, this is extremely difficult to do:

vs. Cavaliers
    Team lost by 7
    Harden was -18 in 40 minutes (+11 in the 8 minutes he was off the court)
    Irving was +14 in 38 minutes (-21 in the 10 minutes he was off the court)

vs. Wizards
    Team won by 1
    Harden was -8 in 39 minutes (+9 in the 9 minutes he was off the court)
    Irving was +13 in 38 minutes (-12 in the 10 minutes he was off the court)

Seems like the Nets are Irving's team for now.

cheke64 and Astrodome like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is all good news for our picks. Kd and Harden showing a lot of wear and tear and Irving idnt exact the most resilient of players. Even if they all resign injuries prob gonns get them in the next couple of seasons.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i will forever hate paul milsap because he didnt want to sing with us when he could of make us a contender and instead he choses to sign a 2 YEAR DEAL(!?) with MEDIOCRE ATLANTA

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

rs dont matter... he just needs to stay healthy for playoffs

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whats the other stuff you dont joke about?

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Man last time I watched Millsap he looked like such an old man and he moved like an old man. I don't know why anyone would trade for him.

Reeko, pippendagimp and Sanctity like this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Cheered for the Nets but they definitely got some help last night. Life is unfair but sports has to hold fair integrity but the NBA is demonstrating BS officiating that will come back to hurt them as true basketball fans further depart.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

See Stone, Rafael.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Based on 2 games and going by +/-.

Well, that certainly is a hot take.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They won't, It's just to save face.
    That's a huge reach and makes zero sense, Millsap has no NBA future with or without Harden.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Well, you can also look at the whole season, where Harden is +1.6 in 37 minutes a game. In the 11 minutes he's off the court the Nets are +0.8.
    It's the only two games we have with the Harden/Irving combo we'll have for the next few months. We'll see if it continues - that's why I said it's Irving's team *for now*. It's not just the plus-minus, it's the absurdity of the differential, and that it happened two games in a row. Assuming one of them is on the court at all times, this is how the first game played out:

Nets lost by 7.
    30 Minutes: Both Harden & Irving on court: Team was +3 Points
    10 Minutes: Only Harden: Team was -21 Points
    8 Minutes: Only Irving: Team was +11 Points

That's ridiculously bad that when it was just Harden, they got obliterated. And they did their best when Harden was on the bench. The 2nd game was the same.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you think that plus minus is telling you anything and then the +/- is in his favor over the season.

How can you say that based on 2 games using any metric let alone plus minus.

Are Harden and Irving playing with the same guys against the same guys?

I know you are a smart guy, you cannot be trying to draw any conclusions based on 2 random games, are you?

And you are actually basing whose team it is based on +/-?

vlaurelio likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I saw that game. Harden had 15 FT and Irving 0. I saw Harden choked it out at the end with turnovers and stepback forced passes to his teammates for jack up contested 3 pointers, he also shot like 2/14 but got his "efficent" 23 points.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

18. Major

Major Member

It's not, though. They are +1.6 in 37 minutes with him. They do +0.8 in just 11 minutes without him - half the differential in less than 1/3rd of the minutes. That means for the season, they play better in the time he's off the court relative to when he's on the court.

When you play 40 minutes a game, you're only coming out for a couple of short rests, so you're basically play with everyone.

The thread title gave the team to Harden after 0 games. So it seems fair.

Looking overall at this year and last, it's Durant's team if we're being serious.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can't believe you are trying to draw conclusions from +/- and you know that playing 40 minutes does not mean you playing with the same guys.

I really don't understand how using this stuff you can say whose team it is and we have not even talked about who they are playing against in those minutes.

My original is still the same how can you make any inferences about Kyrie with the small sample size even if you think +/- can tell you whose team it is.

To me, it seems you want to come to a conclusion and are searching to find something to back it up, could be wrong, but this entire thing is very random.

The title was not a declaration saying it was Harden's team over Durant's it was just stating that this was his new team.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kyrie missed 21 games last season, while Durant missed 37 games. In those 37 games, Nets went 25-12 simply due to Harden dragging a bunch of roleplayers along the way to the 2 seed, ending only one game back from the 1 seed.

You can use whatever random metric you want, in whatever random sample size you want, but when you're talking about overall importance to the team, I don't think you can place Durant and Irving over Harden.

Dude shot 5-12, was 10-15 from the FT line. I can't tell what's worse - you not getting the box score right, despite having "saw that game" or you putting "efficient" in air quotes when talking about an actually efficient night.