1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Everyone here knows what it takes to be a legitimate contender for a championship:

Top 10 offense + top 10 defense

I’d even argue you’d have to be top 5 in both. It’s hard to see that core becoming a contender, with all 3 of them being mediocre to poor defenders.

Even offensively, the fit between Banchero and Sengun is awkward considering both like to operate out of the high/low post. And one of our building blocks is already a scorer who doesn’t make others better. Not sure why we would want to add another.

I just don’t see it with Banchero. Everything about him screams Carlos Boozer. Which isn’t bad, but I’d take my chances with Jabari or Chet. Not only are they both better fits, but they also have higher upside.

Milos and don grahamleone like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stop trolling.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is Smith a high-end defender?

Yes, he has the tools, but I have not watched him play and thought he was controlling the defensive end.

Will be something to look for the next time I see him play.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My thoughts exactly.

Get out of head.
    We don't know if we have a building block or even if we have a legitimate scorer and Sengun can't play 30 minutes without fouling.

We don't have any of the answers at this point and should not be drafting to fit any of these guys, it should be to draft the best player period.

Carlos Boozer was a very to great NBA player and he never had the handle or range that Banchero has.

I'm interested to know what comps do you have for Chet and Jabari since you think comparing Banchero to Boozer makes him less desireable.

5. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

The thing is, are we drafting the best player today or who will be the best player 5 years from now?

Sure, Banchero is the best prospect as of right now. Carlos Boozer with a handle is nothing to sneeze at. Doesn’t have the range yet — he’s hesitant on shooting the 3. And when he does, it’s at a 34% rate. 76% from FT. Regardless, I think Banchero will be an all-star.

But 3-5 years from now, in my opinion, Chet and Jabari will be better. To me, Chet/Jabari have superstar ceilings with how much they can impact the game. And that’s what I’m looking for drafting that high.

After this recent draft, I’m putting A LOT more value on two-way players, who have the measurables and IQ to go with it. Which is precisely what Mobley was coming out. Which is precisely what Scottie Barnes is. Chet and Jabari fit that bill, and the upside of those two, especially Jabari, is just too good to pass up.

My comps (best case scenario):
    Chet = Gobert with a range
    Jabari = blend of Klay and Kris Middleton.

Milos and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He is a good defender at this point but has the length and athleticism, quick feet to be a good NBA defender and possibly a shut down defender… but at a minimum he will be able to guard three positions well.

jiggyfly and MystikArkitect like this.
  7. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I would go with Chet because of the unicorn potential. I think people are being fooled by Banchero's NBA-ready body bullying college kids. It would have been more interesting to see him against G-league competition.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not basing my pick on potential alone I need to see them doing these things in real time. Chet could never be Gobert because he will never put that king of weight on and he would be abused in the post.

Banchero has just as potential as the other guys if you are projecting, Banchero has all the skills of the other 2 and we don't know how Smith will do as a defender.

My Best case scenario for Banchero is Mello 2.0 with a more playmaking in his game and will try on defense, that's 1st team all NBA.

The player I am most intrigued with is Smith and if I am going for pure potential it is Smith, he is just a bit too passive for me and his dribble game is a ?.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You make a lot of good predictions for Banchero and bad predictions for Chet.
    Chet’s high side is a Kevin Garnett/KD hybrid.
    Banchero high side is really Julius Randle. Maybe an outside chance at Carmelo

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Show me were I have made a bad prediction about Chet or shut the **** up.

Chet has shown nothing in college to think that he can be Garnett/KD hybrid he has not shown the ability to take a high level guy off the dribble most of his baskets are set shots and put backs.

Banchero has a much better jump shot that Randle and it's very telling that you think he has an outside chance at Carmelo when their games are very similar, if anything Banchero's game is more polished and varied.

This is my opinion sorry if they make you feel some kind of way because I don't share your mancrush on Chet.

Get over it, we can all have an opinion, and you thinking Chet is a Garnett/KD hybrid is dubious at best and a huge projection.

Garnett/KD hybrid?

Really?

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You just said he would get folded in the post and won’t gain weight. So, what’s that? A glowing prediction?
    Idiot.

People that do this for a living compare him to KG and KD. I’m sorry your “eyes” don’t see that. Your “eyes” are wrong.

I just showed you tape of him taking the best young guys in the world off the dribble but that isn’t enough for you I guess.
    Just stop being you and read some more

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No I did not just say that, you are making **** up.

Show me the link to people who make a living comparing him to KG and KD.

You showed me me tape of him taking a guy off the dribble who does not have great lateral ability and will never be asked to guard on the perimeter at the next levels.

No, it's not enough for me because he was not taking the best young guys it was 1 or 2 guys who have no business trying to guard the perimeter and should not be enough for you if you think he will be able to that in the NBA.

The fact that you think Holmgren is a KD/Durant Hybrid shows you don't have realistic view of the guy, I am waiting to get these links of guys who get paid to do this backing you up.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s a thing called Google. All you have to do it look it up.
    You said Chet will never gain that amount of weight and would be abused in the post. Exact quote there.
    Except that you can’t find him being abused by anyone, in fact he dominates the paint more than any other player in college basketball.
    He doesn’t have lateral agility? What are you watching? Seriously. What are you watching?
    Read a scouting report, he’s a better athlete than Banchero lol

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have never said that.

I see you are now just making **** up.

Why the **** are so angry today?

So angry that you need to put words in my mouth to argue against.

Calm down my guy.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you not remember what you type? It was literally what I responded to

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

See my response. You have to remember what you type before making these claims

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would like Chet.

A) He defends the rim
    B) He plays well with playmakers like Sengun
    C) He starts at center, moving Sengun to the 4 and we have a starting 5 that feels complete (if you’re good with Tate/Green/Scoot)
    D) He can shoot and space
    E) He can pass in a crowd

I’ve long wished for a Divac/Webber type of big man duo and to me Chet and Sengun could be just that.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No Chet will never gain the weight that Gobbert has and if he did he would not be the same player, that is just facts.

Currently he would get abused in the post and its no guarantee he will gain enough wieght to not be abused.

I actually don't care what he does in the post because that part of the game is losing relevancy, I am much more concerned if he can handle switches on the perimeter.

What does being a better athlete than Banchero have to do with anything anyway?

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There you go making guaranteed predictions again. What happened to you “never saying that”?
    If Chet gains 20-30 lbs of muscle, why would that stop him from keeping his lateral agility? That makes no sense.
    Do you know anything about athletics?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Holmgren weighs at least 50 less than Gobbert and yes adding 25 -30 lbs of mass will affect his lateral agility and his knees and back and he would still be on the thin side.

And you ask If I know anything about athletics?