1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Paolo Banchero vs Chet Holmgren

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Chet "The Jet" Holmgren or Paolo "The Lambo" Banchero?

1. Holmgren

2. Banchero

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dmoneybangbang

It's going to be a tough, Banchero has lately been showing why he was considered a #1.

cheke64 and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

There is not a more technically skilled prospect in the draft at his size IMO.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah that's the conundrum will upside trump skillset?

So bypass Melo 2.0 and hope you get what?

I have been a Banchero fan since the beginning, but I realize some of these other prospects are uber high upside guys, but how high upside guys have never panned out.

I think I would take Melo 2.0 and just hope his intangibles are better and he tries harder on defense, that's a consistent 1st team all NBA guy and what I project Banchero to be.

If I am drafting pure upside it's Smith, but his passivity scares the bejesus out of me.

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Paolo's post moves looked wicked, of course its against meh competition

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Just cuz a player isn't as good as Banchero doesn't make them have more upside? If anything Banchero has the most upside because he's the best player already and if he becomes an excellent defender then he's a HOF'er.

jiggyfly and cheke64 like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I want Banchero. He's 6'10 and very polished in the paint and as a guard. He's a tank, I feel like we can use as our center

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I was in on Duren because of his defensive potential as the rim stopper we need, but he has absolutely no offense other than dunks. He will be absolutely a zero on offense for quite a few years.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He looks zero on offense but we need to stop the layups, post abuse, non-existent rebounding in the fastest way possible. We land a top 4 pick Ill take someone else

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Mocks are dropping him down to 10 or so. He may even be borderline lottery. I like him a lot in the 10-15 range, enough to bundle some picks to move up if need be. If we between 5-9 I’d probably go best available regardless of position.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Mills owned Banchero tonight. He's dead to me now.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL how do you figure? FS played great - they have a good team and got up for the contest and made huge shots at the end credit to them. Paolo had a great game maybe you meant to criticize AJ Griffen or Trevor Keels for playing sub par. The guy you're pumping up went 5-17!!

Paolo 6-11 20pts/12reb/7 assists compared to Mills 5-17 18pts/2reb/2assist

weird take (Mills is a guard right?)

don grahamleone and No Worries like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Banchero is a very good scoring prospect. I don't think he is especially good at creating for others though, and there are concerns about his athleticism translating at the NBA level. He also bullies players inside at the college level, and players that do that in general have had issues translating that to the next level.

Banchero has a chance to go #1 and he is going to score in the NBA. The issue with him is the rest of his game. His defensive ability is lower than some of the other prospects, and some scouts think he isn't influencing the game enough outside of scoring. He has as many turnovers as assists this season.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Griffin played well, especially defensively. He had some foul trouble but that is. The only Duke players that played well defensively were Griffin and Moore. The rest were bad, especially Banchero and Baker.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hard to be a dead nuts ringer on both sides of the court. If Paolo doesnt lead offensively then they get blown out probably (not that Im trying to imply Paolo to be a clamp God on defense or anything like that). I'd like for Paolo to be more assertive on defense - im hoping that will come with time, but to say HE was the reason Duke lost would be reaching.

Nook likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolo is a better Giannis save for his defense currently. Bully Ball is a thing now in the NBA and Banchero would flourish. Not sure how he's getting pigeon holed as a non playmaker when he routinely starts sets and gets the motion going for Duke. His 3 point shot needs work, but his ISO and shot creating ability is elite and will definitely translate at 6'10 250 and still growing. I get it that you're not too high on him, but realistically you may be selling him short.

don grahamleone and jiggyfly like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Duke didn't lose because of Banchero.... he was carrying a lot of their offensive load, and he is a very talented offensive player. He didn't defend well, but he wasn't the only one, most of Duke struggled defensively.

As far as Banchero overall defensively, I think he will be good enough on that end to play heavy minutes and contribute in the NBA. However I do think he will have some match up issues and it won't be a strength in the NBA. Doesn't mean he can't be an all star, the league is filled with mediocre and even poor defending stars; but it does limit his upside some and his overall impact on a game.

If the Rockets walked away from the draft with Banchero I would be excited, but also be curious how they would be able to hide Banchero, Green and Sengun defensively.

#837 Nook, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Banchero can create for himself, he just isn't someone that is especially good at creating for others. When it comes to getting his own shot and creating for himself and scoring, he is very good. I am just saying you cannot run your offense through him like LBJ or JH or Jokic. He is more of a scorer and self creator than a creator for others.

It isn't that I am not too high on him. I think he will be a very good NBA player and probably an all star. I just don't think he has the upside that 3-4 other players have in this draft that can play both ends of the court or have that type of potential. Also the league has a lot of guys who can score right now, but not many that can play both ends of the floor or are high end defenders - so players like Holmgren, Smith and Ivey are more tantalizing to me.

If the Rockets end up with Banchero I will be happy, he is a quality NBA player - but I would have real defensive concerns based on the other players we already have on the roster.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats all fair @Nook . Not sure there is a consensus this year and it could well come down to fit and independent team needs. Likewise Im not the biggest Chet guy, but I could see his value defensively for Houston. I've always been of the mindset that elite offense will beat elite defense. It likely comes down to guys who can get you buckets in crunch time. I think Paolo is a guy who you could give the ball to and say "go win the game".

Jabari can kill you with his shooting, but he is an even lesser playmaker. Chet is unique and his offense hasnt been on display as much for Zaga, but he has range and ball handling skills most people his size dont have. I will tend to lean towards those ISO monsters due to their end of game impacts (usually).

Pretty deep draft IMO, probably better overall than last years draft so the Rockets are in a good position to add to their young nucleus regardless of which way they go. I'd love for them to try and wrangle an additional lottery pick if they could.

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  20. verysimplejason

Banchero's game reminds me too much of Sengun. They move differently but they operate at the same areas in the offense. He maybe redundant if Rockets get him. The immediate needs for Rockets right now are playmakers and defensive players.